Suggestions Box

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Suggestions Box

Post by Robbie » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:44 pm

What? Just released a brand spanking new version & already making suggetions???

Yep.

Great game - I'm sure though we've all got more things we'd like huh...

One thing (I have lots more but it's late & I need to go to bed), could we possibly have something different (as an extra option) for the teleporter rather than a pentagram :evil: :twisted: Not wanting to get into a big religious debate, it would be nice to have a neutral symbol (I don't know - think of something) rather than a symbol that a Christian would feel comfortable with - and certainly something I wouldn't want my children recognising as a 'fun' thing.

Not a complaint, just a suggestion to make a great game even better & more family friendly.

:D
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:22 pm

Hi Robbie,

regarding the pentagram, we certainly didn't mean to make you or anyone else feel uncomfortable about it. The pentagram is of course not meant to be a symbol of "evil" in Wonderland, but more a symbol of power and mystique. It's been actually in use since antiquity. The Greeks saw it as the a symbol for unity, early Jews used it to represent the five books of Moses, and early Christians as a symbol for the five Stigmata - in fact the pentagram, along with the cross, was a symbol for Christianity until the middle ages. The interpretation of an upside-down pentagram (not a right-side up one!) as a symbol of "evil" is actually fairly recent, only in the past 150 years or so. I also definitely would rather avoid a religious debate, but from a historical perspective I hope that you feel the use of the symbol as less threatening now - and maybe even something that could lead to some interesting discussion with your kids?

But having said all that, maybe we'll switch it in a future version anyhow, just in case! :)

Cheers!
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:04 pm

Thanks Admin for the info & the option!

And yes, let's keep the discussions to the game. Too many boards get well & truely overheated, off-track & totally unrelated - if that gets you excited, head to somewhere like the ebay boards... :?

The level creator is just what we've been waiting for.
Maybe in future releases we can have more ornaments! I don't know how much trouble these take to program in - also more wall/floor variety? I noticed that walls & floors change depending on the type of world being created.

Looking forward to seeing more users come on board! Is there a big user base at the moment? Surely a game like this is worthy of big popularity.

Maybe a high scores table for Wonderland/RTW/customs - maybe when the personal creations increase in number (from Dianna's wonderful level) they might have their own page...

Cheers
Robbie :D
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:39 pm

Umm... with the increase/decrease buttons to alter the size of the custom level, the decrease button actually increases... Both height & width decrease buttons.

Could we have this corrected sometime. Ta :D
BruceB
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by BruceB » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:55 pm

They work fine for me. Look at the Sizing Tutorial on the Midnight Synergy page - you use the left mouse button to increase on either end, and the right mouse button to decrease on either end. It's a bit tricky at first, but it looks to be a pretty flexible method.
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:59 am

:oops: .... thanks Bruce.

Your presence here is already proving invaluable. Just gota go'n'check out your creation.

Also admin... can we have more signs?
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:56 am

Hey Admin...

Re my last post on more signs - see my level 'Adventure Land'. I could have used some more... as the topic heading says, it's just a suggestion/wish list.

Also, I don't know what anyone else thinks but it would be easier as far as design work goes if the false walls were a different colour (still with the cross) to the regular walls. Maybe a lighter shade of brown?
Old Lloyd
Bronze Wonderlander

Suggestion

Post by Old Lloyd » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:30 pm

Site Adm:

I suggest you add an option for a "bookmark." The bookmark would record the play at whatever state the game was in when it was activated. It could later be returned to that same point by hitting a return key.

eg:

key b=bookmark
key r= return

It would be a good idea to also invoke "no time limit" at the same time the bookmark is imposed.

My case in point, "Catch Me if You Can", is just a pain in the butt to have to start over at the beginning each time with the little yellow alligator heads trying to bite my butt. I would impose the bookmark after I finished that section but before entering the room with the z-Bots.

Just an idea.....

This may keep people interested. I, for one, am worn out trying that puzzle.

Old Lloyd
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:13 pm

Hi folks,

thanks for all the suggestions - of course I cannot promise what will and will not be added to future versions, but it's very useful for us to see what players like and don't like. (also to improve other (and future) games)

We have a small patch for the original Wonderland (v1.15) coming out very soon that will incorporate some of the improvements of RTW.

Best wishes!
Patrick
Midnight Synergy
Ramonda
Rainbow Seeker

Change one of your webpages?

Post by Ramonda » Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:45 pm

Hi,

Glad to have another wonderland :) Also very happy to have a discussion board and place to get new levels.

That's what my suggestion is about. I didn't really find this area until sometime after I bought the second game. I knew there would be a place eventually for levels but as it happens, it already existed. I was too busy playing to think about what the button level exchange was. I believe it was your recent letter with update information that also mentioned the forum that got me here.

In your game description page, I would have a small description of the forum, that this is where the levels are exchanged and a link to this forum. IMO this will help you sell the game and also bring more people into the forum more readily. I know I check out forums even before buying games if they are available.

Also if this forum is intended for discussions of Wonderland, then a notation should be placed on that game page description too. If it isn't, then of course just Return to Wonderland
Teri1255
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Teri1255 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:19 pm

This is a great game. One suggestion, that I am stealing from GOOBS, is a way to "go back one step" and/or be able to have another chance from wherever you get killed. I am becoming bored with "There Must Be Another Way," as after I have gone over and over again getting the to the final box, re-doing all of that work, I lose again. There doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of dancing around those spaceships shooting at you, and it'd simply be nice to be able to pick up where you left off to keep trying to master a particular part of a level. :)
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:19 am

Yes, I've thought many times that I would like to have a save option or something similar, because I have done the first part of some of these puzzles hundreds of times only to die in the latter part. Perhaps the option to save a puzzle after you get thru one part is not in the spirit of Wonderland, but I think I will never get the last level in Wonderland and I'm sure I will never get many of the levels in RTW, especially those with UFOs.

I just got pretty far thru the last Wonderland level and nearly cried when I killed Loof because Stinky squished him with a box. (I had never had that happen before and didn't even know you could do that! I felt just terrible when I heard Loof squeal.)
Teri1255
Rainbow Seeker

Post by Teri1255 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:16 am

Don't give up on the last level -- where are you getting killed?? I was successful after I changed my thinking. :)
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:39 pm

Where I get killed depends on what I decide to try first! Let's see, I've been killed by the electric plates, by the Kabooms in the northeast corner, by the Kabooms to the southwest, by the Scouges....I've also made many mistakes and had to start over many times in all parts of the puzzle. No, I won't give up! I just have to take a break once in awhile. (I'm still trying to walk the Kaboom in an earlier level of Wonderland, too!) But it's OK, because I'm really in no hurry to finish these games. I love them!
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:03 pm

Here's a suggestion---I loved the picture of Stinky and Loof with the Christmas tree. Is there a way we can get more pics of them to do with whatever, I personally want to make more T-shirts for myself and use them on a transfer sheet.........Is there a way we could even take a "still shot" off of a favorite board to capture for transfer etc ???? Would that be a lot of work to make??? Hey, talk about walking advertisement!!!
Just a thought.
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:48 pm

We might do more of these from time to time.... but no promises. ;)
eeyore31 wrote:Is there a way we could even take a "still shot" off of a favorite board to capture for transfer etc ????
Yes, absolutely... press F8 during gameplay and Wonderland will save a screenshot in your directory ("screenshot.bmp"). You can then play around with it in an image editor.

AND.... here's an extra-secret tip for all of you. You can zoom in/out and move the camera around independently by pressing ALT-X and then using the keys on your NumPad. This is how we made e.g. the shots for the solution pages. However.... this is an unsupported feature, so use with caution. It will show you the level from perspectives you were not meant to see... sort of like seeing behind the fake house-fronts on a Hollywood set. But I know you're all responsible Wonderlanders, so I can share this little secret with ya. :)
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:48 pm

Oh thank you!!! I'm gonna make a new T-shirt tomarrow :D
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
DiscGolfer
Rainbow Wizard

Alt-X

Post by DiscGolfer » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:11 pm

Wow! The alt-X perspective is simply amazing. :shock: That's almost as fun as playing the game. :D
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:27 am

Great little easter egg... and it's not even easter!

I can't see it being used irresponsibly at all unless people want to spoil their own enjoyment of the game & that's all it will do. As Admin mentioned, there's stuff (for example) in my next (half finished) level that's been intentionally put out of view in different areas & changing the view, while it looks really cool, spoils it.

One thing it is great for is aiding in level design in terms of overview & just plain zooming around. Also, has anyone thought about adding a title picture when they upload their levels??? This allows us to zoom in & take some great up'n'personal shots we can take back to our picture editors (photoshop, paintshop pro etc) & do up. Just remember the 64k limit.

Maybe on that point there could be in future versions the ability to have a title page come up before a level loads?

Also, one other thing (and it's not a complaint), it would be nice to be able to edit a level & go straight to the game to see how a level looks & feels without having to shut down the editor, load the game, test, shut down the game, load the editor, fiddle, shut the editor down...

Just some thoughts
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:36 am

Just a word of concern I should have noted in my last post.
And this has been really troubling me...

If you use the Alt X, position yourself directly above Stinky (or Loof) looking straight down, lower yourself down until you are just above him & tap the 3 once more & you'll find that his head is (GASP) empty!

Seriously (and I should have tried before asking) but are there any keys to pan left & right like 7 & 1 pan up & down? & if not... (being bold now)how about it? huh?

BruceB
Bronze Wonderlander

Post by BruceB » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 pm

To Robbie: I just keep both Wonderland and the Editor in Windowed Mode, and never shut them down - that way you just click back and forth between them and can edit and try out levels nice and quick.

Bruce 8)
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:18 pm

I can't get the alt x to work, but I've made some cool t-shirts.
What am I doing wrong, I tried holding them at once, seperate etc????
Thanks!
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:11 pm

Eeyore, it won't work? While in the game, hold down ALT and x together, then while still holding those keys down use the keys on your number pad to move around. 8,2,4 and 6 will move in the directions the arrows on the keys show, 3 zoom in, 9 zoom out and 7 and 1 pan up and down. You'll dig it the most, girlfriend!

I have been having some ALT-X fun, and I do like this feature. But, don't know why after reading what Robbie said about Stinky and Loof and their heads, I had to go and check it out for myself. Well, I did, and now I feel just terrible about it. Terrible in that we've invaded their privacy and discovered this secret about them, and terrible for the poor little guys that they have empty heads. :cry:

Sure does go a long way toward explaining why they will follow, smiling all the way, when we direct them right into firing cannons.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:30 pm

:( no Dianna, it won't work. I just tried it again. I have a stupid (my brothers words) Compaq but that shouldn't matter. I hold both keys down, try the num pad and all it moves is like the regular arrow keys. Oh boy......I hate missing out on something. pout pout pout. I'll keep playing with it , maybe something is locked??? I have a bunch of buttons on keyboard, I don't know what they do!!!
Carolyn (eeyore31)
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:50 pm

How odd! Do you know that your ALT key works? Maybe you have a sticky key. Have you tried both ALT keys?

While messing around just now trying to see if I could figure out why this might not be working on your keyboard, I discovered that while I had been zooming in and digging the cute little screen shots you can make, it's pretty awesome to use this feature to zoom way out. What a great way to see an entire large level all at once.

Hope we can figure why this feature is not working for you!
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:28 pm

One suggestion: does your keyboard have a Num-Lock key? If so, try toggling it on/off - you might have your numpad keys disabled.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:55 pm

Oh thank you :D

My num-lock WAS on, now it works. That is soooo cool. No more distractions now, I must go take a few brain pills to come up with a good theme for another series of boards!!!!

Thanks again,
Carolyn eeyore31
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:53 am

Special thanks to the incredible BruceB(anner?) for your tips on editing & playtesting without the pain!

It was probably obvious to everyone else but for some reason it just didn't register... anyway, it's made my level making life a whole lot easier.

For those who missed the boat, head up the posts & read the post just before my last one.

With thanks to BruceB
Have both editor & game open in Windowed mode.
When editing/playtesting a level, simply make your adjustments on the editor & save. With the level up & running in Play mode, simply Restart to see the modifications in action.

Maybe a useful tip..
If testing (with interation from stinky or Loof) an area away from the starting position, simply reposition the characters to that area you want to playtest to save time. Rather than wasting time playing through areas you are satisfied with to get to the area you're toying with... might sound obvious, but could be of benefit to someone like me.

Thanks again!
Dianna
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Dianna » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:13 pm

Gee, Eeyore, I'm glad you solved that problem and can now use ALT-X. Fun, huh? (Glad Patrick knew about your number lock key -- oddly, putting the number lock on on my keyboard doesn't disable this feature so I sure never would have thought of it. )

I'm wondering if there is a key that brings you back to a "normal" perspective. I was playing the game and decided to use this feature to look around, but then couldn't figure out what was normal anymore. Was I too close? Too far away? Argh, I just started over!

So you're making t-shirts with Stinky and Loof? I'd love to see a photo of them. I have an idea for some S&L ornaments, and if I can make them I'll try to post a pic.

Speaking of photos, I'd love to be able to have little "photos" on this forum of us. On some of the other forums I frequent, this is a fun feature. It's always amusing to see what cartoon picture people select to represent themselves.
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:44 pm

Yes Dianna, I took a couple still shots and transferred them, then I "made" a new partial level just for the sake of a picture so Stinky, Loof and a few of my favorite things were there in the shot. I'm afraid we are getting obsessed......so it's a good thing it's not fattening!!!! :lol:
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....