Chip's challenge inspired wonderland series?

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Alex2000

Chip's challenge inspired wonderland series?

Post by Alex2000 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 am

So.. i don't think many of you know about it but there is a game called "chip's challenge". It is a really old game. recently I watched a video of that game and suddenly i noticed wonderland and chip's challenge are very similar!

Wonderland has keys, chip's challenge has chips you need to collect. And once you collect all of them the gate next to the finishing point dissappears.
OK this one could be a coinsedence.. but it continues;
-In both games, you can push boxes into the water tiles to make a bridge.
-In both games there is ice you can slide on, and there are these edges that turn you when you are moving on the ice.
-In both games there are conveyor belts.
-In both games there are teleporters and how they work is affected by the direction you enter them.
-In both games there are fake tiles.
- There is an enemy in chip's challenge that works exactly like Zbots.
-There is an enemy in chip's challenge that works exactly like chompers(and it kinda looks like a chomper too. )
-In both games there are buttons(In chip's challenge there are 2 types of buttons. 1-Works while you are on it 2-It opens if you step on it, and closes if you step on it once more)
-You can say chip's challenge's fire tile correspondes to lava in wonderland.
-This is not a big one but in both games, there is a level called: "friends and enemies"
-Again not a big one, in chip's challenge there is a thing that fires.. well.. fire. This is kinda like scouge the cannon.
-The weakest point: There are question mark tiles in chip's challenge. When you step on them they give you tips. This works exactly like the paper thing in wonderland. (you know, you step on them some text pops up.)

So what do you guys think? I don't think this could have been a coinsedence..
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:58 am

It's not.

Here's Midnight Post issue #4, page 3 (read page 4 also): http://www.midnightsynergy.com/newslett ... /page3.htm
This has a discussion about the game and interview between MS and the creator of Chip's Challenge.

Here's issue #20, page 2: http://www.midnightsynergy.com/newslett ... /page2.htm
Midnight Post, issue #20, page 2 wrote:...most of our games were heavily inspired by a variety of classic games, including Chip’s Challenge, Sokoban, Zelda, R-Type, Klax, and more...
Anyway, nice find! I didn't know about Chip's Challenge before now.
Oats
Gold Wonderlander

Post by Oats » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:11 pm

I've known about Chip's Challenge for some time, and it's always concerned me that Wonderland was a knock-off of it, but I'm glad to know that Chuck himself sees the difference and enjoys playing Wonderland himself.