New computer (Win 10, Nvidia GPU), RTW problems

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

New computer (Win 10, Nvidia GPU), RTW problems

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Still sometimes playing the game...

I recently upgraded my computer, but there seems to be a strange RTW problem -- the game crashes any time I enter a level with a chomper.

Everything else seems to work just fine (though the system had to install DirectPlay the first time), which is a bit strange.

Any hints on this? Any compatibility settings or VM solutions that might work?
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Re: New computer (Win 10, Nvidia GPU), RTW problems

Post by rainbowmon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Huh. Odd. Hmm... With something so specific, it makes me wonder if a file got corrupted somehow. I'm guessing you probably already tried reinstalling the game, though... I've no idea what could be causing it. If it's not a corrupt file, then I have to wonder why it is that the Chompers specifically are causing it. It's so weird...
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Thing is, some Nvidia cards are known to cause problems, including crashes. It's just so oddly specific in this case... I'm pretty certain the files aren't corrupted.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 am

I vaguely remember reading a post here ages ago (probably over 10 years) by another user who had this problem. So this isn't without precedent.

That's all I can say, though. As far as I remember, that user didn't find a solution. If I recall correctly, they never actually asked for help about it. They just mentioned that there are lots of official levels they never played because of this.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 am

I'll still have access to my previous PC, so if I really have to make or play a chomper level, I can do it there, but yeah, something like that did happen to someone, now that you mention it...

Sucks if there's no solution, but oh well, I still have "emergency access" to my previous PC if really, really needed, and there are too much benefits that come with upgrading to not upgrade. Oh well, I'll be seeing what I can do, if anything.
Kilicool64
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Kilicool64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 am

If RTW ends up going down the same route as WA and is eventually open-sourced and ported, that would probably end up fixing this problem. Whatever the cause it is unlikely to remain after such drastic changes. But I imagine that won't be happening anytime soon.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:10 am

Funnily enough, WA and MOFI seem to work fine for me, although I haven't tested for uber-specific crashes... POTZ lags like hell now, but there was a fix for that, so that should work, too.
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 am

Kilicool64 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 am
If RTW ends up going down the same route as WA and is eventually open-sourced and ported, that would probably end up fixing this problem. Whatever the cause it is unlikely to remain after such drastic changes. But I imagine that won't be happening anytime soon.
It's not a matter of *IF* RTW goes open source like WA, but *WHEN.* Patrick's said himself in the thread linked below that he intends to make it open source in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27815
Which games are included?
At this time, the code for WA3 (Planet of the Z-Bot) as well as the WA editor and player will be released. At a later point, I plan to release the code for RTW (Return To Wonderland Platinum and Editor) as well.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:52 am

Happy update:

Somehow, after playing the game again a bit, I realized it now loads all levels normally, including chomper ones... even though I didn't do anything!

Well, hey, I'll take it... I guess some driver got auto-updated and that somehow fixed something. Let's hope later auto-updates won't break it again. :lol: