New Level - Cycles

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

New Level - Cycles

Post by RoberTime » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 am

RT0033

This entire level is focused on and structured by "Cycles". If you don't know what I'm saying, Cycles is a rather common gameplay mechanic that repeats itself. And in most cases, managing Cycles is all about the timing (Hint hint)

After playing too much of Secret Worlds this week, and given that I'm at the final level as of now, I have way too many ideas for levels. So expect plenty more soon ;)

DIFFICULTY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:48 am

Stinky made it, but it was annoying and pointless.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am

Upon reading Amnon's post before playing the level, I thought, "How can a level be pointless?"
Then I played the level, and found that Amnon was completely honest and accurate.
Unfortunately, a level based upon extremely easy and lenient movement, and waiting for an obvious visual cue before moving, can never be fun. There is simply no substance or excitement - just wait for the [insert obstacle name] and then move.
The only part that might be a problem was the electricity at the end, but I made it through that bit first try. Dodging electricity, spikes or a combination of the two (if they have different timings) is never fun. It just never is! There's nothing you can do to make it interesting - therefore, don't make a section which is just electricity or spikes.
What did you do right with this level? Well, even though the theme of waiting for cycles was very uninteresting, at least you stuck with it. You also used Kabooms on the buttons, which I thought was interesting, but unfortunately easy and short.

Summary of this very long message: Cycles was a boring theme, and a section which is just electricity is annoying, frustrating, and you already did an entire level of it back in Qristmas Day 6. (Ok, so that was spikes. But electricity is just the same, except more hidden and faster.)

Still, I hope that you continue to make more levels in the future, since I do enjoy playing most of them.
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker

Post by RoberTime » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Aye, thank you for your feedback.

It just occurred to me that adding a medley of cycles in a Wonderland level serves as lazy design. What I really wanted to do is use a common gameplay mechanic everybody knows and base a level entirely out of it. Maybe next time. Honestly, I didn't have any nerve uploading it.