Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 114/195 levels released, NEW: "Stumped to the Root")

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun May 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Now once you crack the expert version, you can move right onto the next puzzle...

Micro-puzzle fun done - now for something a bit bigger...

Lv115 - "Forest Traps" (9/10)

Download notes:

Extract level into your 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' folder. Extract 'crystalforest' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed May 26, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 115/195 levels released, NEW: "Forest Traps")

Post by Amnon » Mon May 24, 2021 7:44 am

The latest version took me 23:39 minutes in untimed mode.
I really don't like the prospects of having to squeeze this sequence into 15 minutes.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 115/195 levels released, NEW: "Forest Traps")

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 24, 2021 10:59 am

Amnon wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 7:44 am
The latest version took me 23:39 minutes in untimed mode.
I really don't like the prospects of having to squeeze this sequence into 15 minutes.
Well noted, I could barely speedrun it in ten. I don't see a way to add any clocks which would potentially break the level, so I think doing it in untimed mode is quite acceptable.

Technically that must make this the longest level so far... the irony of that.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon May 24, 2021 11:21 am

Looking for places to place clocks?

What about a clock-generator?
Just joking...

I can see a few places, not too many though, but in any case, placing clocks on void bridges on the southern wall cannot break the level.

Also, if you rather preserve the nice look of the walls, then Peegue could start the level in a clock-farm on the south,
then arrive at the arena by trampolines.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 24, 2021 11:38 am

I didn't even think of using the south wall in such a way! I think I will look into this change when I get home.

And I now wonder if there is a hex code for a clock generator - I mean, you can generate certain objects like boxes, so why not clocks?? Must go hexploring...
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Okay, updated the download, and now in fact you have 25 minutes on the clock.

I was quite wrong before... actually I can fill most the entire top section with clocks, since it needs to be cleared anyway...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 am

actually I can fill most the entire top section with clocks, since it needs to be cleared anyway...
Not quite - this actually makes the puzzle slightly tougher because an extra trip is needed to collect the clocks at the very start and one should be careful to not step over the bridge when doing so!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue May 25, 2021 1:01 am

Indeed, you're right! And therefore it will be more as I intend: that the focus will be so much on the bridge, that the key to the puzzle will be much harder to find.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue May 25, 2021 4:48 am

Just completed Forest Traps (115): quite an adventure, thanks!

P.S. Are you aware that there is a surplus object for bridging the way to the bonuses?
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue May 25, 2021 11:02 am

Amnon wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:48 am
Just completed Forest Traps (115): quite an adventure, thanks!

P.S. Are you aware that there is a surplus object for bridging the way to the bonuses?
Would this object happen to be a: reflector?

Of course the only way I can see you having this scenario is if you: pushed the blue sphere into the water instead of blowing it up.

Oh, but what I neglected to notice was that: by doing this you need not bother with the yellow/pink gates. So in fact there is not just one surplus, but rather two, if not three.

So now some optimization is necessary...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue May 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Would this object happen to be a...?
Yes.
Of course the only way I can see you having this scenario is if you:
And how else? the kind of violence you suggest did not even occur to me...
Oh, but what I neglected to notice was that:
Not really - I would still need to destroy that keg and I see no non-suicidal option to do it other than by opening the pink gate. As for the yellow button, the reflector that's temporarily placed on it is later recovered anyway.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue May 25, 2021 1:39 pm

Well, the intended progression of the puzzle requires some different moves: first the blue sphere is destroyed by the keg, then to complete the bonus bridge, you need the reflector from the bottom of the level to be setup on your return from the top. If done this way, you can still get the bonus coins, however all objects will be used.

Now, with your notes, I actually see a possibility for a completely different solution, but that would be much more airtight, which I think I will optimize later...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Now, with your notes, I actually see a possibility for a completely different solution, but that would be much more airtight
Yes, the beginning was air tight: A few rounds were necessary to extract the metal box, then good timing with the blue sphere. And yes, I did push the cannon's bottom reflector up into the escape tunnel.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm

Oh, so you did use that item, which I guess was the extra... now I think I know what needs to be changed: in fact, despite knowing about using the blue sphere for the bridge, I didn't even think about self-destructing the keg in the gate, or in any other way, than to use on the sphere. So actually your method is much more elegant of a solution, and all I must do is find a use for the last reflector, perhaps another bridge.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed May 26, 2021 12:44 am

"Forest Traps" has been updated, not only to optimize with your solution, Amnon, but also to introduce some significant changes that increase the puzzle's difficulty quite a bit (maybe it is a 9/10 now). These new changes reflect some possibilities I noticed earlier while reviewing your solution.

Enjoy!
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed May 26, 2021 2:47 pm

Done the revised version - indeed an unforgiving 9/10.

P.S. Time was never a problem on this level, it can be completed well without the extra clocks.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed May 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Oh, the clocks are added for a more experimental purpose, though I will just need to observe how effective it is: by adding so much time at the start, first time players of this level may therefore think that time is not a factor, at which point the final trap sequence will be much more impactful. So it is an attempt at psychological manipulation, assuming most players don't SHIFT all the way over there.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 am

Stinky is all alone in the forest, and he has arrived at the coastline. But where are his friends? What's going on??

The waves are stirring up - that's what... time for an ACTION COURSE - a fairly hard one.

Lv116 - "Currents" (8.5/10)

Download notes:

Extract level into your 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' folder. Extract 'crystalforest' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 116/195 levels released, NEW: "Currents")

Post by Amnon » Thu May 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Level 116 done, but it is not a 7.5/10 - at least 8.5/10 and a real torture.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 116/195 levels released, NEW: "Currents")

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Updated difficulty.

Now the ending can be as hard as you make it... did you: fight the currents??
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu May 27, 2021 2:52 pm

did you:
Here and there, mostly I went along or even faster.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 27, 2021 10:56 pm

Stinky has stumbled upon an ancient forest temple in search of his friends, but what will he find? Do secrets and treasures await?? You have a full adventure ahead of you in this full level.

One of my most diverse approaches to level design, this is so much more than just a Wonderland level. Everything from its hub-like architecture (stylistically similar to WA's hubs), exploration focus, and immersive story-telling (of which this is quite an intense chapter) all put together into one massive level - designing this project was one of my favorites to do. It's huge, it's hard (one of the hardest), but it's a very diverse playing experience, and a promising entry into the QftFE storyline. You will not find another level quite like it.

Lv117 - "Let 'em Loose" (9/10)

Download notes:

NEW texture exclusively for this level! Extract level into your 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' folder. Extract 'crystaltemple' into your Custom Textures directory.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 117/195 levels released, NEW: "Let 'em Loose")

Post by Kamerson » Fri May 28, 2021 4:05 pm

These later levels sound really cool and tough! Can't wait to eventually get to them!

I'll be streaming World 5: Gloomy Castle tonight on my Twitch channel!
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
Nock

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 117/195 levels released, NEW: "Let 'em Loose")

Post by Nock » Sat May 29, 2021 3:05 am

World 5 (almost) Done! Some very tricky levels here, Was looking at colorguard the wrong way for awhile, After I beat that the other levels were still tricky but doable. After I finish the keep (know the solution just have to execute), Can't wait for world 6!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat May 29, 2021 3:15 am

Nice job, and thanks for playing tonight Kamerson! World 5 is definitely a niche series of levels - many of them utilizing hidden elements to fit the "theme," so not everyone's cup of tea. Nonetheless I hope they weren't/aren't too frustrating for you! Funny how destiny called you to the Creepy Keep twice this week.

Nock, World 6 as a whole is one of my personal favorites in the quest along with Crystal City - a big story-focused world, too. Not really much harder, mostly easier in fact, except for the last two levels. Good luck and have fun!
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Sat May 29, 2021 5:25 am

I very much enjoyed the first half of World 5! Colorguard is probably my favorite level of the world so far! I wonder if there'll be any more ghosts in this world. I know their movement is random but they definitely fit the theme of this world.

Here's a bit of advice that I'm sure you're already aware of at this point; I know that this world's theme is about hidden elements, and I don't mind having enemies emerging from fake walls to surprise me, but I prefer not having to go into them myself to solve a puzzle I can't see, like at the end of Discovering the Keep. (Hiding bonus points is fine though, since they're an optional challenge)

Looking forward to continuing Gloomy Castle next time I stream this game! :stinkyhappy:
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat May 29, 2021 1:39 pm

All great feedback, thanks! I'm sure there were better ways to integrate hidden elements in Discovering the Keep. In fact the final level probably uses hidden elements best - no hidden puzzles, but plenty hidden surprises. I think if I stuck to that latter element, it would be better for the theme anyway!

Yes, more ghosts on the way! But yeah, not a fan of their randomness, so their use is definitely limited in this round.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat May 29, 2021 5:24 pm

Stinky has escaped the temple, reeling from his discoveries inside, but what awaits him outside?? INSANITY - that's what!

We're dangerously approaching the world finale, which is by far the most climactic moment so far in QftFE - I'm looking to have the rest of Crystal Forest uploaded within the next week!! Some more big puzzles coming up, starting today.

Lv118 - "Gate Insanity" (8/10)

Download notes:

Extract levels into your 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' folder. Included is a skill-shot practice level to help you nail the last section - I recommend doing this FIRST so you figure it out, otherwise you'll be redoing the entire level again and again. Extract 'crystalforest' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 118/195 levels released, NEW: "Gate Insanity")

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 31, 2021 1:48 am

Amnon, I just found a new path in "UFO Trespassing" that spares you 17 seconds!!

I think it can be improved by one second, but probably not much more.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 118/195 levels released, NEW: "Gate Insanity")

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:18 am

Welcome to the PENULTIMATE level in Crystal Forest - you've reached the opposite coast, but nothing seems right. Time is running out as the Thunder Portal is quickly hurdling towards the shore, spawning a massive superstorm in its wake. That, combined with the power of the water element - Crystal City's alarms are already going off, as the city knows it is already doomed. Now you must make a choice with very little time: try to save the city, or brace the storm in search of your friends?

There's only so much one stinker can do, even with the power of two elements already in your arsenal.

But this level is no break for you - in fact, it's probably my toughest and most complex puzzle yet, and will take you a while to solve. Good luck breaking through THE FLOODGATE in this intense, penultimate chapter leading into the epic finale.

Lv119 - "The Floodgate" (9.5/10)

Download notes:

Extract levels into your 'WD11 - Crystal Forest' folder. Included is a skill-shot practice level to help you nail the cannon section - I recommend doing this FIRST so you figure out the moves, otherwise you'll be redoing the entire level again and again. Extract 'crystalforest' into your Custom Textures directory if you haven't yet gotten it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Tech Warrior on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.