Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 158/195 levels released, NEW: "False Prophecy")

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 110/195 levels released, CRYSTAL CITY released)

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat May 01, 2021 3:28 pm

I see what you did there... difficulties updated! Morklin's museum relies on a lot of different glitches that some players may not know - that's why it was at 8/10. But then again, you are encouraged to try the impossible...

Now, help me understand which part of the Matrix was most challenging to execute: (1) the combination to start the matrix, or (2) navigating the spheres? I'm also figuring that you used ALT-X to view the full board (hopefully, since I can see the level being VERY tough otherwise).
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Re: Quest for the Five Elements (RTW level pack - 110/195 levels released, CRYSTAL CITY released)

Post by Amnon » Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Now, help me understand which part of the Matrix was most challenging to execute: (1) the combination to start the matrix, or (2) navigating the spheres? I'm also figuring that you used ALT-X to view the full board (hopefully, since I can see the level being VERY tough otherwise).
I still don't know a sure combination to start the matrix, but I got good enough at it so I can get through in about 1/5 of my tries. It was hard to work it up to this probability.

Navigating the spheres was really difficult, first because I insisted for a long time to not use ALT-X, but finally gave up and used it. Second because my colour vision is not that good, so I hardly see any difference between the light-green and the yellow or between the white and the cyan (and in ALT-X where everything is so small, even between the blue and the pink). I just numbered the buttons 1-7, then memorised the numbers of the gates. Then of course it took the time to master the strategy, of which I have no complaints, I liked that part.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Understandable - as noted in the initial post, I neither like nor endorse a situation that almost requires you to use ALT-X, because that manipulates the game controls in a way that isn't intended. With this situation, given that what I wanted to create simply takes a lot more space, I think it is acceptable, since you are not really playing Wonderland - you are playing a different game inside Wonderland.

The colors are hard for me to see, too - I had to memorize where they are, which made testing a lot tougher (the green/cyan looks the same to me)! I've tried a few different combinations now to find the fastest route, but getting the last move on the first try is a really tough sequence, keeping track of 3-4 spheres simultaneously.

Oh, for the first bit, there is a foolproof combination that works every time, which also eliminates all boulders; here it is:
https://ln3.sync.com/dl/0d53dca90/kw7m3 ... p-ubfp3wuy
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 pm

but getting the last move on the first try is a really tough sequence, keeping track of 3-4 spheres simultaneously.
Yes, I gave up on that, so I just do one thing at a time, then try again as necessary.

Very nice combination for the very first part!
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 am

Just completed "The Breakout" (107) - it was not easy and the tight final race requires more skills and experience than 5.5/10.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun May 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Amnon wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 am
Just completed "The Breakout" (107) - it was not easy and the tight final race requires more skills and experience than 5.5/10.
Updated to 7/10.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Mon May 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Explored the Big City (108) - nice level, thanks!!!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Mon May 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Amnon wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:58 pm
Explored the Big City (108) - nice level, thanks!!!
Thanks!! Two more to go until you're out of the big city...
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 am

Just completed #109 - Ouch!!!

It is definitely much harder than the previous one, definitely 9/10 difficulty, especially the 2-button, Rainbow-spirit and UFO puzzle.

Thanks!
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed May 05, 2021 3:53 am

Amnon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 am
Just completed #109 - Ouch!!!

It is definitely much harder than the previous one, definitely 9/10 difficulty, especially the 2-button, Rainbow-spirit and UFO puzzle.

Thanks!
Difficulty updated! I had a pretty good feeling 8/10 was being too optimistic (originally had it at 7.5, but I tend to become really biased on difficulty since I already know how to solve it, and it's tough for me to predict how hard it is for others to solve).

Okay, good luck on #110, it's probably 10/10 relative to everything else, but not quite compared to some later puzzles. At some point you will receive the "AHA" moment - you'll know what I mean. TAKE YOUR BREAKS. :)
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Wed May 05, 2021 10:34 am

Now in "Mind Games" (110):

Tricky TImers, Cannon Sniper and Conveyor Chaos are not a problem.
There is more to explore in "Roadblocks Rodeo", but the area is readily available.

What is most hard for me is "Locked Up" because I cannot see the difference between white and cyan,
so I definitely need a practice level there. I could easily make one myself of course, but then I might see things that I should not...
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed May 05, 2021 3:21 pm

Amnon wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:34 am
Now in "Mind Games" (110):

Tricky TImers, Cannon Sniper and Conveyor Chaos are not a problem.
There is more to explore in "Roadblocks Rodeo", but the area is readily available.

What is most hard for me is "Locked Up" because I cannot see the difference between white and cyan,
so I definitely need a practice level there. I could easily make one myself of course, but then I might see things that I should not...
Sure, here it is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Played the second half of World 3 last night. After playing Water Mysteries, I can see why this world is everyone's least favorite now. Waaaay more bridge building than I was expecting, and the cannons made it even more annoying.

One general problem I have with almost all of the levels so far is that the time limit is way too tight. I felt like I had to speedrun the levels or I wasn't going to make it to the exit. Time was never usually a problem in the first 3 Wonderland games; there were a few levels that used it as a mechanic, but otherwise as long as you didn't stumble around too much, you're able to get to the exit without much problem. I wish that were the case here, and hopefully future levels have more lenient time limits.

I almost turned the time limit off for Water Mysteries. I thought it was impossible to do within the time limit because I was trying to do it with only Stinky until I remembered that I could use Loof & Peegue to help with the boxes and cut out some of the bridge building, but even then the time limit was way too close.

Other than those complaints, the levels were really fun and creative, and I can't wait to play more!
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed May 05, 2021 5:57 pm

Kamerson wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm
Played the second half of World 3 last night. After playing Water Mysteries, I can see why this world is everyone's least favorite now. Waaaay more bridge building than I was expecting, and the cannons made it even more annoying.

One general problem I have with almost all of the levels so far is that the time limit is way too tight. I felt like I had to speedrun the levels or I wasn't going to make it to the exit. Time was never usually a problem in the first 3 Wonderland games; there were a few levels that used it as a mechanic, but otherwise as long as you didn't stumble around too much, you're able to get to the exit without much problem. I wish that were the case here, and hopefully future levels have more lenient time limits.

I almost turned the time limit off for Water Mysteries. I thought it was impossible to do within the time limit because I was trying to do it with only Stinky until I remembered that I could use Loof & Peegue to help with the boxes and cut out some of the bridge building, but even then the time limit was way too close.

Other than those complaints, the levels were really fun and creative, and I can't wait to play more!
Thanks, this feedback is very helpful, and the time limits have been a fairly consistent complaint. Honestly, even just extending all the time limits in World 3 would probably make the levels more enjoyable (plus removing Water Mysteries entirely). Technically, since QftFE is still in a "rolling release" phase (which I liken to a beta), I'm still looking to improve what's already been released, based on feedback. Considering it's been in progress for over a decade (which is part of the problem, since everything behind World 7 is extremely old, and doesn't speak to the improved level design you will get to experience further in), I want it to be as good as it can be.

I think World 3 sets an undesirable precedent, as players may expect this to be a "speedrunning" adventure, and may quit off at that point. This is not the intention - however I am absolutely guilty of having a speedrunner's mindset when setting those limits! I have no intention to completely rebuild the world, or any of the old worlds (I barely have enough time to complete what remains, as my work days are around 12-hours), however I will say that World 4 is a great place to start back up. The first level sets up some pretty big plot points, and the levels generally just get more fun from there. Oh, and YES - the time limits do get a lot more relaxed, not to worry (you get up to +30 minutes in some levels later). Of course, there are some levels in which time is a factor of the puzzle (such as "Evacuation" in World 9), but this is definitely supposed to be a rare occurrence.

Do you have a schedule for the QftFE streams? If my schedule allows it, I think I would like to try and join one sometime. That way I can be available to answer your soon-to-be-questions about FUGITIVE PEEGUE. :) Oh wait, I probably shouldn't spoil any of that. NEVER MIND.

On another note, HERE are all the intended solutions up through World 3. You may find this interesting!
rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Thu May 06, 2021 1:05 am

Kamerson wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm
I did it with only Stinky up until it was time to get everyone into the goal, but like you, I was cutting it *EXTREMELY* close. I basically had to optimize the process as much as possible.
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 am

Tech Warrior wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:57 pm
Thanks, this feedback is very helpful, and the time limits have been a fairly consistent complaint. Honestly, even just extending all the time limits in World 3 would probably make the levels more enjoyable (plus removing Water Mysteries entirely). Technically, since QftFE is still in a "rolling release" phase (which I liken to a beta), I'm still looking to improve what's already been released, based on feedback. Considering it's been in progress for over a decade (which is part of the problem, since everything behind World 7 is extremely old, and doesn't speak to the improved level design you will get to experience further in), I want it to be as good as it can be.

I think World 3 sets an undesirable precedent, as players may expect this to be a "speedrunning" adventure, and may quit off at that point. This is not the intention - however I am absolutely guilty of having a speedrunner's mindset when setting those limits! I have no intention to completely rebuild the world, or any of the old worlds (I barely have enough time to complete what remains, as my work days are around 12-hours), however I will say that World 4 is a great place to start back up. The first level sets up some pretty big plot points, and the levels generally just get more fun from there. Oh, and YES - the time limits do get a lot more relaxed, not to worry (you get up to +30 minutes in some levels later). Of course, there are some levels in which time is a factor of the puzzle (such as "Evacuation" in World 9), but this is definitely supposed to be a rare occurrence.

Do you have a schedule for the QftFE streams? If my schedule allows it, I think I would like to try and join one sometime. That way I can be available to answer your soon-to-be-questions about FUGITIVE PEEGUE. :) Oh wait, I probably shouldn't spoil any of that. NEVER MIND.

On another note, HERE are all the intended solutions up through World 3. You may find this interesting!
Good to know the time limits get better from here on!

At the moment I do not have a specific schedule other than that I stream at 8:30 PM EST on Mondays and Fridays. Yesterday was an exception because I had to postpone my Friday stream to Saturday, and whenever that happens I stream on Tuesday rather than Monday to evenly space things out. I have polls for what game I play the day before I stream, so it's impossible to know what I'll play until an hour and a half before I stream. Whenever I stream custom levels, I post about it HERE before I stream, but I imagine that may not be enough notice for some people. In the near future, I'll be streaming on Wednesdays as well, and when I do I think I'll dedicate Wonderland streams to those days of the week, calling them Wonderland Wednesdays!
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 am

Also, if you'd like, I could record and send you level solutions videos for you after I stream them!

Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 am

OKAY, on those notes, this didn't take much time at all...

WORLD 3 updated - It's not an overhaul, but it's definitely a big improvement. Thank YOU Kamerson, Amnon, and rainbowmon for your consistent feedback which has helped me address and fix the major flaws so far. Here is what has been changed:

1) TIME LIMITS have all been extended. You should no longer be struggling to finish any of these levels due to time, except for "Crossing the Wondertown River" if you took an exceptionally slow route (which you shouldn't do, FYI).

2) Water Mysteries has not been removed, but instead rebuilt into a brand new level. No longer shall it earn the trophy of being the most-disliked. Try to get the ugly taste of it out, because it's now a transporter puzzle - one you should actually enjoy!

3) Survival has been optimized to lean into the solution that you guys have been executing, which (in addition to removing the fake wall) allows two boxes to be removed. I actually like your solutions much better than the one originally intended, which is now no longer possible.

Alright, I've gone ahead and updated the first post which now includes the updated World 3, but you can also just download in this post. For those that have played through the world already, the only two levels worth revisiting here would be 'Water Mysteries' (29) and 'Survival' (21). The rest simply have updated time limits (though, if you replace them all, your precious gold stars will be wiped, sorry).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 am

Kamerson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 am
Also, if you'd like, I could record and send you level solutions videos for you after I stream them!
Oh, that would be a godsend - the walkthrough is always in the back of my mind, as I would like to have it done alongside the full release of QftFE. But it's a lot of work! If you do record any such solutions, I would be happy to take them and include them in the walkthrough!! Thanks.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 am

Thank you for "Locked Up" - it made it very easy, although I am disappointed that I could do it without understanding what I am doing - just trial and error: If I really had to work out and remember which buttons, timers and gates are white and which are cyan, then I would have been frustrated indeed!

Now I am on to "Foul Play" (and yes, I am aware of that square button and the implication for "Locked Up").
I made progress there, but it is too long to play the previous puzzles every time again, so could I have a trial version for it please?
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 12:25 pm

Amnon wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 am
Thank you for "Locked Up" - it made it very easy, although I am disappointed that I could do it without understanding what I am doing - just trial and error: If I really had to work out and remember which buttons, timers and gates are white and which are cyan, then I would have been frustrated indeed!

Now I am on to "Foul Play" (and yes, I am aware of that square button and the implication for "Locked Up").
I made progress there, but it is too long to play the previous puzzles every time again, so could I have a trial version for it please?
On getting home, I will prepare a practice level for Foul Play (which is the toughest individually), Color Conundrum, also one for Red Light, Green Light. That will round out the remaining games.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Okay, here they are:

110A "Locked Up", which you already have.
110B "Foul Play", which also includes the hint offered behind the red gate in the starting central area.
110C "Color Conundrum," the gate puzzle.
110D "Red Light, Green Light" - self-explanatory
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm

OH, and for reference, Amnon, when you get to Color Conundrum, since the gates are hidden:

Top-left is WHITE. middle-right is CYAN.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Thu May 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Alright, I completed the practice levels (though the last one, Red-Green, I have not yet reached in the real level)
- tomorrow I shall try to do the whole thing together, I can see that there is much more to it than just these small puzzles.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Thu May 06, 2021 3:56 pm

Amnon wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:46 pm
I can see that there is much more to it than just these small puzzles.
The game-makers are counting on you to think you can thwart their mind games so easily. :wink:
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am

The game-makers are counting on you to think you can thwart their mind games so easily.
I now have all the coins and all the bonus coins accounted for - but no time to proceed in the endgame.

I should probably complete this level sometime on Sunday.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Fri May 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Amnon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:02 am
The game-makers are counting on you to think you can thwart their mind games so easily.
I now have all the coins and all the bonus coins accounted for - but no time to proceed in the endgame.

I should probably complete this level sometime on Sunday.
Very nice, that's an optimistic projection. I should be interested to follow your thought process in the endgame, which I expect to cause you wondrous distress.

However any further discussion of this part should be quite discreet, as you will see why it needs to be so.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm

I should be interested to follow your thought process in the endgame, which I expect to cause you wondrous distress.
Indeed so, because I read the hints, followed them, got the yellow gate opened, only 3 bonus coins left to collect, but there was nothing in the mailbox!

BTW, if it helps, I didn't use that white square button in Foul Play - there was no need for it because the white gates remained open anyway.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Sun May 09, 2021 2:57 pm

Amnon wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Indeed so, because I read the hints, followed them, got the yellow gate opened, only 3 bonus coins left to collect, but there was nothing in the mailbox!

BTW, if it helps, I didn't use that white square button in Foul Play - there was no need for it because the white gates remained open anyway.
Oh yes, about that button in Foul Play: it's just a red herring.

Now, for my question to you: how did you get the cyan gate to remain open? You said you only have 3 coins left - I know exactly which ones, and why you didn't receive mail. But let's see your answer to this bit.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Sun May 09, 2021 3:04 pm

About the gate: The cyan gate is kept open by the rainbow spirit, loyally traveling back and forth over its timer..