New Level - A Dark Shape

Post, download, and discuss custom levels for Return To Wonderland.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

New Level - A Dark Shape

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:00 am

An experience, maybe...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Re: New Level - A Dark Shape

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:26 am

I'm not sure why there are random invisible walls all over the place -- are the visible obstacles not enough? It's already an open-worldish thing, why the extra invisible walls? Are they even intentional or some sort of RTW bug due to the level being this stupendously huge?

Having said that, they don't make for a maze of any kind, so if you just keep pushing in whatever direction you want to go, you'll eventually find one way or another. I cheated with Alt-X to see where I wanna go before I started, precisely due to the invisible walls, and part of me really wishes I didn't... let's just say that if you feel you've explored the entire level, you probably haven't. The shape has some unique properties, so use your weirdness instinct! It can help!

Despite the invisible walls, a rather interesting take on an "open world"-ish Wonderland.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Amnon
Rainbow Spirit Seeker

Post by Amnon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks for the fun!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:47 pm

The invisible walls are an unintentional side effect of how big the level is. I did not place them myself. They're there because of the trees. The game wasn't meant to handle huge levels like this, and so some of the (wall) tile logic becomes "duplicated".
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:01 pm

Huh, does that also happen with objects?

I feel like there might be some very strange bugs and misbehaviors to be discovered with oversized levels that no one has ever explored...
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Yes in fact, when the level exceeds the 99x99 limit, the game begins to break down because it must use "illegal" memory in order to process the oversized level (this is why upon exiting the game, you will get a MAV). Such is also the case if you have too many surface counts in a level (for this particular, size does not matter - you could have a 14x14 level, but with too many different tiles types, which I have documented HERE, you can get an exit MAV). For the case of this level, it is too much for the game to handle, so the tile logic indeed becomes displaced. This can happen anytime the level exceeds the size limit.
Muzozavr wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:01 pm
Huh, does that also happen with objects?
The behavior is not the same. In RTW, there is a hard limit for the number of object types that can be in a level (I think for box types, as an example, you can have a max of 100, though I don't recall the exact number). Once you exceed this, although the objects will appear in the editor, not all of them will generate in-game, and the file size will not be impacted as a result. This is purely an RTW limit. Of course, this limit is removed in W+ (Wonderland C# remake), and actually if you were to try play this level, W+ would instantly crash instead of giving a MAV (due to the error handling of C# being remarkably better than Blitz, so the invisible wall side effect is really just a way for Blitz to cope with the memory errors at play).

It's all quite fascinating.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.