new model - treasure chest

Custom 3d models, houses, etc. for Return To Wonderland.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

new model - treasure chest

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:06 pm

Quick summary:

A treasure chest facing front. Download the zip file and unzip it in CustomModels (zip file already has the files in the appropriate folder, namely "LNSChest1"). To understand how to use it, download the custom level and play it. You definitely want to play the custom level (and look at it in the level editor) first so you understand how to use this model, it's slightly different from what you've seen before.

-------------------

Details:

I stole this model of a chest off a video game (I bet Loof101 might recognize which game immediately). As such I guess technically it is "illegal", but hopefully no company's gonna make a big fuzz over something as silly as an undistinguished chest. Also keep in mind that I actually used Milkshape to create the mesh itself from scratch, what I really stole was only the textures which I got from making a screenshot of the video game, plus some editing.

Please don't ask me right now about the details of making models in Milkshape or how to apply textures. You probably don't want to know anyway. :shock: (And actually, I have to resort to using a different program for texturing, because Milkshape's texture map editor is just terrible. The other program isn't much better but at least let me do what I wanted.) Note also that Milkshape might crash if you try to import the 3DS file, don't ask. It works in Wonderland just fine though.

Anyway, this model's placement is a little unusual. The model's "dead spot" (the spot where the level editor thinks the model is located at) is actually on the tile behind where you would see the chest! You might wonder why I want to do that. Well, play the demo level and you'll understand why. Be sure to look at the placement of the model in the level editor so you understand how to use it properly in your own levels.

The chest is exactly 1 tile unit from front to back, but slightly more than 1 tile unit from left to right (so it'll overlap slightly into the adjacent tiles on left and right, not a big deal though). Also, because the total height is higher than 1 tile unit, it's probably best to place it against a wall with height at least 1.5 for a more natural look.

The only criticism I have right now is that because we look down from above in Wonderland, you see far too much of the chest's cover and not enough of the body, but I need a break before even considering any more adjustments to the model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpurcell
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by bpurcell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:58 pm

May I hazard a guess that the Chest texture is from the Harry Potter PC Game?
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:25 pm

bpurcell wrote:May I hazard a guess that the Chest texture is from the Harry Potter PC Game?
Nope. In fact I'm pretty sure the game this is actually from is not even by the same company that made Harry Potter games.

This only proves how generic this chest must be, which hopefully should counter any concerns over the legality of this.

Incidentally, I don't own any copies of the HP game, just for my curiousity can you PM me and describe what it's like? I've read all 5 of the books.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:47 am

LinkyNStoof wrote:Note also that Milkshape might crash if you try to import the 3DS file, don't ask.
I've got a few 3ds files that make Milkshape crash. Do you think that it's due to the models themselves or just that Milkshape is a very touchy program?

I am also having a lot of problems applying textures. Some work, some don't and I don't know why. :roll:

Looking forward to trying this. :D
Pauline
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

about the demo level

Post by LinkyNStoof » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:54 pm

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have a feeling many people don't quite understand how the chest works in the demo level, so let me point this out:

there's a coin inside the chest, but you can't get to it until you pick up the "chest key" as the sign posts suggested, then the chest gets "opened up" (logically, not visually) and you can grab the coin inside. You can look at the level in the level editor if you're wondering about the underlying mechanism that makes it possible to let the chest be locked and unlocked. (But you can probably guess how it works by just playing the level.)

The idea for allowing the chest to be locked and unlocked is the main reason why I set the dead spot of the model the way I did.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:57 am

I made a level that I will post when I get the chance that has a bunch of treasure chests in it! :D
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!