new models - billboards

Custom 3d models, houses, etc. for Return To Wonderland.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

new models - billboards

Post by LinkyNStoof » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:57 pm

[edit: uploaded corrected version, please redownload if you already downloaded this before 7/24]

janetgalle's "Find Peegue" level inspired me to come up with these billboards.

There are a total of 6 models in the zip file. It's basically the same billboard but in 2 different sizes and 3 different orientations, hence 2x3 = 6. You'll have to rename them for use in your own levels. Please read the readme file in the zip for details on placement and on changing the billboard images (which you should for your own levels, the default's just a template).

PM if you need help, or if you want billboards of other sizes and orientations, or if you need two or more billboards of the same size & orientation but with different images. I can do all that for you.

Note that the text in the screenshot looks blurry only because I saved the screenshot as a low-quality JPG. The text should look much crisper in Wonderland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LinkyNStoof on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:01 pm

oh by the way, unlike some of my recent models, this one I only use Milkshape for processing, because the texture mapping is simple enough and especially so others can examine the models in Milkshape if desired without crashing.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: new models - billboards

Post by janetgalle » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:34 pm

LinkyNStoof wrote:janetgalle's "Find Peegue" level inspired me to come up with these billboards.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

As if having 20 signs isn't enough!!! Well, I guess we always want more, more, more. (to quote Qookie) :lol:

thanks,
jg
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:39 am

They're brilliant Linky, stunning in fact. A great job. 8) :D
Pauline
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:10 am

These are GREAT! What a fantastic idea - can't wait to use these in a level. I've hesitated using these custom models and houses in a level since it seems many people are still not comfortable enough with the idea of downloading, unzipping, getting them in the correct directory, etc. I did one level with MS carshow models, and the level was not downloaded as much as a level with just the standard items. However, maybe if we all start using them in levels, more people will be inclined to at least try it!!! Hope so - some of these new custom models/houses are going to make some wonderful levels!! :D

Thanks!
Majicaleetarina
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:02 pm

It just occurred to me that some people are slightly confused with how to customize the billboard to display what they want, so I'm going to try to re-explain this here more clearly:

Say you want to use the large billboard that's oriented straight front (ie. not one of those diagonal ones). The model you're looking at would be Billboard1Large.3ds. Let's say for your own level you're going to use that model as Model #1 (A).

So do the following. Copy the following files into the folder you'll be using for custom models in your own level:

Billboard1Large.3ds
Ashsen.gif
BB1L.bmp

The first file is the model itself. The second file is a skin file containing the wood texture you see on the billboard's frames and legs. Finally, BB1L.bmp is the skin file that contains the image you see on the billboard itself.

Rename Billboard1Large.3ds as model1.3ds in your own folder (or model2.3ds if you're using it as model #2/B, etc.) Don't rename anything else. Now open up Paintbrush or Photoshop etc. and edit BB1L.bmp to the stuff you want displayed, analogous to what you'd do with custom houses.

I hope this is clearer.
---------------
The readme file tells you the billboard image skin file for other billboard types, but it's not hard to figure out which corresponds to which. For example, billboard2large.3ds's is BB2L.bmp, and billboard3.3ds's is BB3.bmp. Remember that you need to rename the models into the names Wonderland expects (model1.3ds etc.), but you do not and should not rename the skin files (despite what MS might told you otherwise).
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:44 pm

I've also had some people who would like to use the rainbow background they saw in the template, without the "TEMPLATE" text. So here they are. Copy the image into BB1L.bmp or whatever skin file it is that corresponds to the billboard type you're using.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:45 pm

Hi LnS!

Here is what my new folder has in it.

Getting closer! I had hoped to present you with a "thankyou" billboard....
but now I get this. (At least it is not a Pillar any more. :lol: )

:roll: jg :roll:
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:51 pm

janetgalle wrote:Hi LnS!

Here is what my new folder has in it.

Getting closer! I had hoped to present you with a "thankyou" billboard....
but now I get this. (At least it is not a Pillar any more. :lol: )

:roll: jg :roll:
Awwww...thanks for going thru all these trouble to do this.

It shouldn't be so much trouble though. Doh! :oops:

As a start, did you check and see if the billboards work when you didn't change the images? I'm going to check it out on my own computer and see what's going on.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:03 pm

Ok, after some testing, first thing I noticed is I made a mistake in the zip file I posted. I should've included ASHSEN.jpg not ASHSEN.gif, since Wonderland can't handle skins in GIF format. I've edited the first post to have the corrected version of the zip file. Anyone who've downloaded this before should redownload it. Sorry. :oops:

This doesn't explain what's going on with the blank billboard though. The only thing I can say for now is, did you make sure to save the image as a BMP? Not a JPEG, a BMP, I'm talking about file format.

Also, sometimes Windows have a tendency to add extensions in without your notice, so maybe the bb1L.bmp you have there is actually named "bb1L.bmp.bmp" (stupid Windows), try renaming it to "bb1L" in Explorer and see what happens.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:17 pm

LinkyNStoof wrote: As a start, did you check and see if the billboards work when you didn't change the images? I'm going to check it out on my own computer and see what's going on.
No I didn't, as I've never had trouble with any of these models before......
Guess what? I downloaded your new zip, and made a sample level:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to go to a reunion now.......get back to you later!

jg
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Those models you upload here ae great. I find lots of them in the net, but they're all too big or too small, and I'm not very bright in 3D modelling. I have programs for that, but I haven't got an idea in how to resize them. Can anybody explain me that :?:

many thx :P
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:12 pm

I'm sending you a PM with the turorial that LinkyNStoof sent me. It helped me a lot, I hope it will help you too. :D
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:20 pm

I had to take a break. Only 2 hours with all those people and I needed some relief.

Well, I started from scratch. Deleted, downloaded, unzipped, made new folder, copied, pasted, renamed......made a test level......

WhaLaa!!!!!! :lol:

(it was probably something I did, when I edited the template.)

jg
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:58 pm

8) 8) 8) :wink:
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:06 pm

Great Stuff LNS!

Hmm.... Now the question: what do white on the boards :?: :?: :?:

:lol: