Robbie's doodles & other things...

Custom 3d models, houses, etc. for Return To Wonderland.
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Robbie's doodles & other things...

Post by Robbie » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:32 am

LnS wrote
Any chance we'll actually get to see what you've planned sometime soon? :wink:
Oh ye of little faith! (albeit well-founded...)

Hey LnS,

Here are a couple of the many doodles I’ve been playing with. I’ve been toying with the idea of simple environment items that can be added to people’s levels with the added dimension of providing a template (as with Pat’s house, my birthday cake) for customising.

Following are doodles (I can’t say sketches… sounds too professional) of a mountain/hill & volcano. Modelling them will be pretty straightforward as will skinning/template (I’ve been inspired having worked through my cake model).

Other things include clock/bell/water towers for town environments, wanted posters, archways, some more Mario inspired teleporters & even Anthony’s checkpoint… better not go there yet…

I guess one of the big challenges (apart from finding time to do all this) is encouraging others to get into actually using them… maybe I should be leading by example…

I don’t know what you think but I was considering for the next big Wonderland comp, a skinning competition. We select say a few different models – even as simple as a 1-1-1 cube, or the mountain thing – nothing too complicated, create some templates – maybe a sample level with the directory/models/jpgs in place.

Just a thought to maybe inspire others.

Pauline, you still out there?

Regards,
Robbie
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:19 am

Yes Robbie, I am still out here, but not doing anything at present. I have been very bad with my arthritis and I'm finding it difficult to move, lots of pain and stiffness.

I haven't got any further with my halloween level, and I haven't done any modelling since coming back from holiday. Not only do I find it painful sitting at the computer, but I've lost the motivation too.

If someone would like to take over my level I could send what I have up to now, which is basically just the layout without an ending. No gameplay up to now, tons of models in it though. I think there are some more models too that I was trying to incorporate so I could send them too. I would just post the models but I don't think they would get used. I'm not getting at anyone here, I just think they would look at them and think 'what am I supposed to do with that'. You may not think that though, you like making large levels. Your Adventure 1 & 2 were brilliant, I did them all. I was trying to put a lot of small models together as one large 'environment' model, for my 'room' which is part of the level.

If you want to know more detail I'll PM you.

Your cake was delicious, btw. :lol:
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Robbie's doodles & other things...

Post by janetgalle » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Robbie wrote: I’ve been toying with the idea of simple environment items that can be added to people’s levels with the added dimension of providing a template (as with Pat’s house, my birthday cake) for customising.
I for one would LOVE having more "template" type things to work with!
(Because I am a flop at making 3D models :( )
Robbie wrote:I guess one of the big challenges (apart from finding time to do all this) is encouraging others to get into actually using them… maybe I should be leading by example…
I don't understand why more people don't take the time to use them, or even download them when they are a vital component in a level.
Robbie wrote:I don’t know what you think but I was considering for the next big Wonderland comp, a skinning competition. We select say a few different models – even as simple as a 1-1-1 cube, or the mountain thing – nothing too complicated, create some templates – maybe a sample level with the directory/models/jpgs in place.
That would be COOL

jg

PS: popo...sorry to hear that your illness has become so debillitating. Hope you regain some mobility (and enthusiasm) soon! Miss you alot.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks jg. I'm still downloading all the levels, even though I can't play most of them. I really enjoy your levels even when I can't do them, they're so good to look at. :D
Pauline
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:13 pm

janetgalle wrote:I for one would LOVE having more "template" type things to work with!
I have to admit because of work and other interests, I'm no longer as active with custom models as I once am.

Give me some suggestions on the kind of customizable objects you want and I'll look into it. It'll be a little slow though because, being the procrastinator I sometimes can be, I still haven't got around to properly setting up an Internet connection at home yet. :roll: :oops: That'll slow down trying to find good models on the Internet (I'm still light-years away from making decent models from scratch...)
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:41 am

A procrastinator??? Sounds like me... I'm overcoming it by breaking up big tasks into little ones.... only then I find myself with so many little ones I put them off...

Glad you're still around Pauline, not so glad you're not doing too well :( and yo're only a young lass too... And no motivation??? We're going to have to remedy that situation :wink:

Yes it is sad that yours & LnSs' models aren't getting the attention they deserve. I guess at least people are making levels & wonderland has a growing membership. In time it should pick up. Maybe people are not sure or don't feel confident enough to add models to their levels... I don't know...

Love to get a preview (or just some more info) on your up and coming Halloween level. Still have plans to redo Adventure Land 1 & 2 with a similar idea in mind to do a large enviroment... all in good time. And glad you enjoyed the cake! Like I said Halloween's not big over here but I'll try & get a skin done for the occassion...

Glad you're enthusiastic Janet. We'll get some more things happening shortly, starting with a few basic models. Maybe we can throw some thoughts together between the 4 of us (and anyone else interested) & get a comp going - maybe in a few weeks.

Will try & get some more doodles out later on, maybe a model or two...

So how many of you out there actually have the full AC3D :?:

Robbie :D
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:00 am

I've got the full version of AC3D and the full version of Milkshape (it still crashes a lot though). I've joined the AC3D forum to see if I can get any hints and tips but they all seem much more experienced modellers than I'll ever be. I did download a plug in that one of them made that's supposed to help with texturing. I'll try and find the link for it if you're interested.

You're not bothered about taking over my level then? Or using what I've got already? Is no-one interested? Am I going to have to finish it myself? Bummer! :x
Pauline
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:04 pm

popo wrote:I've got the full version of AC3D and the full version of Milkshape (it still crashes a lot though). I've joined the AC3D forum to see if I can get any hints and tips but they all seem much more experienced modellers than I'll ever be. I did download a plug in that one of them made that's supposed to help with texturing. I'll try and find the link for it if you're interested.

You're not bothered about taking over my level then? Or using what I've got already? Is no-one interested? Am I going to have to finish it myself? Bummer! :x
I'll think about taking it over, though I must say I'm not good at making storytelling levels. I will make a point to make sure all puzzles I put in the level are straightforward to solve. :roll: :wink:
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:47 am

Thanks for the preview Pauline, It looks great what you've done (from the little pic).

As for taking over, LnS seems to be happy to help out... maybe that might be the way to go. Put your heads together & work on the level together? I'd be happy to throw in some input as well if you wanted to PM what you have. Maybe send it to both of us?

The plugin would be great to check out if you can round up the link :D

Here's a little update. Didn't get to it last night at all apart from a little simple modelling. A preview of things to come...

A straight sphere (24 segments) removed bottom half including middle set of verticies. Sized to 1,1,1.

For the Volcano model I
- duplicated the Mountain model
- selected the top 6 layers of verticies & used the 'cut-away object' under Surface
- Rotated the object 180 degrees over the x axis & joined it to the bottom part of the model by using the Snap obects by verticies.
- Hid the bottom part of the mountain
- brought the bottom 4 layers of verticies up to the same y value as the 2nd highest layer >>> did that by finding the y value of that layer using the > button on the Move to area. Then set the x & z values to 0. Selecting all veticies level by level, click on 'move to' brings each layer up until you have the results you see below.

Later on I'll pull out my graphics tablet (have one of those Wacom Intuos 2 ones - nice 9x12) which I've had for ages but haven't had much use for, and start on some serious texturing (usual doodling but now on models - be interesting to see how it turns out...)

Better go...

... oh, and also the AC3D file
and also, I'm not sure how it will turn out in Wonderland, maybe they will need some sort of outward curve at the base of them.

You also mentioned about transparent textures over in the Suggestion Box LnS. That would come in handy for creating steam from the volcano... but we'll find a work around for that for now.

OK now I'm going...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:47 am

I should know what you're on about here but it looks like you've done much more experimenting than me and my brain won't take it in. I might understand it more when I look at the models. When I want to move something I tend to select the verticies or surfaces and drag them till it looks right. You seem to be doing it more mathematically. At least you are able to say what you've done, I wouldn't be able to explain how to recreate it. :oops: I'll have to learn how to use it properly. :roll:
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:40 am

Robbie wrote:The plugin would be great to check out if you can round up the link
Here's the link for the plugin.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/t/atomicd/plantex_beta2.zip

You ought to read the posts first so you know what it does. It's on the 'Tutorials and other resources' thread. 'New texture map plugin'

http://ac3d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:38 pm

I've had a play myself to try to make a volcano. The AC3D file is below with the skins.
Pauline
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:42 pm

Couldn't fit the AC3D file above so it's here. :P

I made it by drawing a line and revolving it to make a solid. Made a separate object from the crater so I could skin it separately. It's not the right size obviously.
Pauline
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:42 pm

popo wrote:Couldn't fit the AC3D file above so it's here. :P

I made it by drawing a line and revolving it to make a solid. Made a separate object from the crater so I could skin it separately. It's not the right size obviously.
Not bad at all! It's definitely a good start.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:44 pm

Robbie wrote:Later on I'll pull out my graphics tablet (have one of those Wacom Intuos 2 ones - nice 9x12) which I've had for ages but haven't had much use for, and start on some serious texturing (usual doodling but now on models - be interesting to see how it turns out...)
Ooh a graphics tablet? You are really into drawing and art I gathered?

Now we know who to bug if we need skins for models... :wink:
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:48 pm

Robbie wrote:As for taking over, LnS seems to be happy to help out... maybe that might be the way to go. Put your heads together & work on the level together? I'd be happy to throw in some input as well if you wanted to PM what you have. Maybe send it to both of us?
Robbie, I'm more than happy for you to chip in with whatever help and suggestions you have, especially with modeling and skinning.

Actually, majic1 has come out with some good levels with custom models and good puzzles, wonder if there's a way to get her interested...?
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:04 pm

I haven't a clue about all this model making, appreciate what you guys are doing though.

Since majic1 is the Queen of level making, I think she would be a great addition to the team.

Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in.

Incidentally, could any of you tell me what you think of Amapi 3D?
The reason I ask is simple, got the full programme free in my PC mag.

Thanks all.

M.A.D. :lol:
Jersey
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Jersey » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:06 am

Sorry I can't help, guys, but everything I just read is ancient Greek to me...Milkshape, skins, graphics tablets??? :shock: Makes me think of an oral antibiotic for a skin infection that needs to be taken with milk! :lol:

Popo, I hope you are feeling better! I've got bursitis in both of my hips, so I know exactly how painful it is to sit for long periods...at least mine only flares up on days with high humidity, but the rest of the time I can igore the discomfort. Unfortunately, I had to give up hiking, downhill and cross-country skiing and ice skating. :cry: Haven't tried riding a horse in years, but it really surprises me (and my doctor) that I can handle an ATV over rough terrain, although I do feel it for a week afterwards. :wink:

My sister suffers from arthritis in her back and knees, and says that her yoga and pilates has helped her considerably. Although she'll never be free of the pain, she's managed to maintain quite a bit of her flexibility. Have you tried yoga?

What about using Vicks Vapour rub? I've used just about all the creams you can get for muscle and arthritis pain, but the best I've found yet is Vicks! My sister also swears by Tiger Balm.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am...*Hic*

...I'm just a Blonde! :lol:
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:45 am

I've never heard of bursitis, what on earth is it?

I've never tried yoga, I couldn't get into those positions, I can't lift my arms up to do my hair never mind stretch this way and that. My knee only hurts when it's been bent and I try to straighten it again, like when I've been sitting for a while or if I have to crouch down to get in a cupboard, then I can't get up again. I'm saving up for one of those things that gets you in and out of the bath. I love a good soak in the bath but once I'm in I can't get out. :oops:

Vicks Vapour Rub would make me smell like and old man!! :lol:
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 pm

Robbie wrote: Later on I'll pull out my graphics tablet (have one of those Wacom Intuos 2 ones - nice 9x12)........ (usual doodling)
I have a Wacom Graphire3 (6x8) that hubby gave me for Christmas, I really like it. Same here do alot of doodling and what not....

jg
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:45 pm

LinkyNStoof wrote: Give me some suggestions on the kind of customizable objects you want and I'll look into it.
Could you possibly make a blank sign post? Like a street sign, speed limit sign, etc. Kind of like your billboards but smaller.

And could you do something that would look like a large standing mirror?
Tall and rectangular or oval? Stinky sized? Also rather like your billboards but smaller.

Thanks in advance, I'll wait patiently...................... :wink:

jg
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:28 pm

janetgalle wrote:Could you possibly make a blank sign post? Like a street sign, speed limit sign, etc. Kind of like your billboards but smaller.

And could you do something that would look like a large standing mirror?
Tall and rectangular or oval? Stinky sized? Also rather like your billboards but smaller.

Thanks in advance, I'll wait patiently...................... :wink:
I'll look into it this weekend. It shouldn't be too hard, I might even be able to make them from scratch.

I will tell you now though that the mirror would always look a little fake since you can't do reflections in custom models.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:30 am

I think jg means a mirror with the mirror part as a template so she can put a picture on it. I have seen some mirrors on the net, oval ones that you can tilt backwards and forwards that stand on the floor. I'll have a look and send you the link.
Pauline
Robbie
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Robbie » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:39 am

Happy 200th post to me
Happy 200th post to me.....

ok.. enough of that...

Sorry I've been out of circulation the last couple of days. Taking my wife & youngest daughter down to Sydney to the outlaws ( :wink: ) in the morning and have had heaps to get done before we go. Eldest is already there on holidays - not sure if it is a holiday for her or us :shock: ...

Love your volcano model Pauline & the skin is so right for it. I tried the link & checked out about the plugin. When I get back from Sydney I'll check it out a bit more.

I played around with my model a bit more, duplicating & resizing. I need to play around a little more & get the poly count down if I want to make some decent enviroments though - even just 10 (or 8?) left me with a 3ds file 400kb+ in size. As for the skins I played around with my tablet & Paintshop Pro 5 but the quality wasn't the best. I've got v7 but the layers don't seem to be working.. :? I also have the Adobe Creative Suite so I tried firing up Photoshop & what a difference! Still finding my way a little. More results to come after I get back. Keep at your modeling though, the little I've found just came through playing around with bits & pieces & seeing some of the stuff that's happening on the AC3D forum.

LnS wrote
Ooh a graphics tablet? You are really into drawing and art I gathered?
Now we know who to bug if we need skins for models...
.... :wink:
Yeh, not particularly good - love to doodle. Use to be into art quite a while ago but it all takes time. I satisfy myself these days more with design work & a bit of practical application here & there. Nothing that pays mind you - still working on that aspect. Until then I've got full time computing work... and children... and house renovating... and.... you know the drill.

I like your suggestion of drawing on the talents of some our ladies that are more level creation orientated. My attention is elsewhere at the moment & it really takes some good time & thought to get a really good level together. Happy to help where able.

Been meaning to check out Amapi Maureen... one of my tasks for next week. Did it show a version number at all? And hey, your nose is welcome here any time! (and the rest of you 8) )

Janet wrote
I have a Wacom Graphire3 (6x8) that hubby gave me for Christmas, I really like it. Same here do alot of doodling and what not....
Cool! So can we see some of the efforts??? Please :!: Some inspiration won't go astray here you know.

See you guys in about 4-5 days.
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:32 pm

popo wrote:I think jg means a mirror with the mirror part as a template so she can put a picture on it.
Exactly right popo....the mirror part as a template, and also the blank part of the sign as a template. I thought I had sent a post saying I didn't care that the reflective part of the mirror wouldn't look good because I was going to put something..er..someone in (on) it.....

jg
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:07 pm

I've spent all morning looking for that mirror on the sites I usually look on, and, guess what, I can't find it. I only saw it a couple of days ago. Strange how you can't find things when you're looking for them. :roll:
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by janetgalle » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:50 pm

Robbie wrote:Happy 200th post to me
Happy 200th post to me.....

ok.. enough of that...
Congratulations Rainbow Seeker! And all 200 posts have been either great levels, interesting comments, good suggestions or wonderful models.....Thanks.
Robbie wrote:Janet wrote
Cool! So can we see some of the efforts??? Please :!: Some inspiration won't go astray here you know.
NO! :roll:

Have a good trip!

jg
Davimad
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Davimad » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:51 pm

Robbie wrote: Been meaning to check out Amapi Maureen... one of my tasks for next week. Did it show a version number at all? And hey, your nose is welcome here any time! (and the rest of you 8) )
Thanks Robbie.

It was Amapi 3D 6. I can't make head nor tail of it, maybe spending a bit more time would help. Then again, I might just be thick!

Enjoy the break and congrats on your 200th post.

BTW, did you get to the UK in September?

Cheers

Maureen.
LinkyNStoof
Rainbow Master

Post by LinkyNStoof » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:23 pm

janetgalle wrote:
popo wrote:I think jg means a mirror with the mirror part as a template so she can put a picture on it.
Exactly right popo....the mirror part as a template, and also the blank part of the sign as a template. I thought I had sent a post saying I didn't care that the reflective part of the mirror wouldn't look good because I was going to put something..er..someone in (on) it.....
Don't worry I knew exactly what you mean 8) , I just wanted to mention that it might not look too mirror-like (more like a framed picture). Anyway, we'll find out how it goes sometime this weekend, hopefully.
Jersey
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Jersey » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:50 pm

popo wrote:I've never heard of bursitis, what on earth is it?

I've never tried yoga, I couldn't get into those positions,

I love a good soak in the bath but once I'm in I can't get out. :oops:

Vicks Vapour Rub would make me smell like and old man!! :lol:
:lol: Actually, the smell of Vicks fades after a while. I put it on at night before I go to sleep, so I don't notice it. It works really well if you can cover the area with flannel or fleece to keep the heat of your body in.

I copied this from www.c.health.canoe.ca, rather than try to explain:
Bursitis is an inflammation of a bursa. Bursae are fluid-filled sacs located near the bones around the joints and between muscle attachments at a joint. Their purpose is to cushion and lubricate the movement of tendons and muscle over bone.
With yoga, it slowly stretches muscles and tendons, and allows you to slowy increase your stretching each time you do it. I've also heard that tai chi is good for arthritis too. Again, it's slow and steady, and is designed to increase your flexibility over time.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am...*Hic*

...I'm just a Blonde! :lol: