Issue #7 Feedback

Discussion related to the Midnight Synergy newsletter.
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Issue #7 Feedback

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:06 am

As always, forum members get a little sneak peek at the latest edition of the Midnight Post (October 2006).

http://www.midnightsynergy.com/newsletter/issue007/

E-mail announcement should go out in a few days.

(and yes, beside the retro challenge competition, there will be some announcements on the board for Wonderland Adventures competitions - so make sure to check back in a week or so)
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:07 am

I cant wait for wonderland edventers(but I have to :lol: )
love the screenshots of the new game :)
is peegue REALY retireing :(
happy birthday stinky :stinkyhappy:
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Loirae
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Loirae » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:41 am

The new game is looking spectacular! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.

And thanks for the mention of the contest. The collage of levels was great. I really loved the one of Qookie flying through the air with a huge grin on her face. :lol:
Loirae
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:11 am

1) Peegue, I will miss you. :cry:
2) The C64 challenge is great, even though I can only recognise one screen and no music lol. :lol:
3) Ahem... The deadline of this retro contest "suggests" a close release-date of Wonderland Adventures... ??? :wink: Wonderlanders, stay tuned, Midnight Synergy definetly wants to create an unique Wonderland game! :wink:
4) I love those screenshots from contest, they really look spectacular, especially the jumping Qookie one.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 am

Wonderland Adventures is looking better and better. Lurve Loofie's new shades! :lol:

I can't wait to hear what the Adventures competition will be, hope it's something I can have a go at.

The Retro competition is harder than I expected, seeing as I had a C64 myself. I think I have 5 screenshots up to now and although I recognise a couple of the music clips I can't remember what they're from. :roll: Does anyone remember the Plus4 computer which came out after the C64? I had one of those too but I think it died a death quite soon afterwards. I remember finding it quite difficult to get games for it.

Peegue's Puzzle is a bit of a mind bender this month. I'll have to get it down on paper and see if I can work it out. The ol' brain isn't what it used to be, y'know! :wink: Sorry to hear he's retiring. Will there be a leaving do to look forward to? :D
Pauline
janetgalle
Rainbow SuperStar

Re: Issue #7 Feedback

Post by janetgalle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Looking good Patrick.
My first computer was an AppleIIe....so I know nothing about the "commie", but I look forward to visiting some of the retro sites to see what I can find out.
Congratulations on Wonderlands fourth Anniversary. It has been a great trip so far, looking forward to many more adventures.
jg
Midnight Synergy wrote: (and yes, beside the retro challenge competition, there will be some announcements on the board for Wonderland Adventures competitions - so make sure to check back in a week or so)
You just can't resist dangling little tidbits like this in front of us, can you? :lol:
I know you must enjoy baiting us :twisted: ..... Imagining us sitting in front of the computer, not sleeping, not eating....just waiting.......and waiting for the next little bit of info........ :lol:
uneekrose
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by uneekrose » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Great issue. It's nice to see my halloween level included with the rest. I'm really looking forward to Wonderland Adventures. Hard to believe I got the original Wonderland back in July 2004 and I've had Secret Worlds and Return to Wonderland for exactly a year today. I go back to the original now and then. I've certainly got my money's worth in all 3 games. I never played with the Commodore 64. The 1st video games I had were Nintendo, I have the 1st playstation and can't bear to part with it even though I haven't played since I discovered the computer world of games. I really enjoy Wonderland. Loof's shades are cool. I think Qookie needs pigtails in her hair so we can distinquish her from the boys.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm

I don't want Peegue to retire! :( :lol:
Interesting article, as always! I liked the info on the Commodore 64! I've never played any C64 games, but I LOVE the old DOS and Amiga games. Crystal Quest and Galaga are some of my old Amiga favorites, and I have many old DOS games that I love, such as Jet Set Willy, Top Hat Willy (remake of previous), Secret Agent, and Commander Keen, to name a few.

And of course, I can't wait for Wonderland Adventures! :D
The chompers look a bit different in that screenshot, I think they looked better before. :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:29 pm

Oh....The "good" old C64 days :D Nostalgia at it's best :lol: . I actually still have a C64 (and C128) in the basement somewhere - including all the games I used to play. Maybe it's time to dig it out and take a walk down memory lane :lol: . I hope the tapes haven't rotted (or whatever tapes do when they get old?).

Thanks for mentioning the Halloween Contest. I could actually detect an increased download rate right after this issue went out :) . I wonder what will happen when the e-mail notification gets out there :wink: .

Liking the look of the new game too. I'm still a bit worried it will be too RPG-ish to my taste, but one never knows ;) . I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Will there be a demo version?

Now: Back to going bonkers over that C64 challenge.......

Mette
\Mette
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Heya!

Glad everybody enjoyed the latest issue...
Ahem... The deadline of this retro contest "suggests" a close release-date of Wonderland Adventures... ??? Wonderlanders, stay tuned!
Don't get too excited: I don't even know myself what the release date is. It is definitely not November though. Not even sure about December. (sorry)
Sorry to hear Peegue's retiring. Will there be a leaving do to look forward to?
That's a good idea... any suggestions? :D But yes, at the start of Wonderland Adventures, Peegue will have been retired for a while already. (Peegue does get to keep the hat though... that was very important!)
I can't wait to hear what the Adventures competition will be, hope it's something I can have a go at.
Most definitely! I can't quite spill the beans yet, but I hope many people will use their unique talents and put a personal mark on the new game.
Oh....The "good" old C64 days Nostalgia at it's best . I actually still have a C64 (and C128) in the basement somewhere - including all the games I used to play.
I'm even sadder - I actually bought one on Ebay not too long ago (I had sold my own many many years ago). Unfortunately the Floppy Drive didn't work, so it's use (so far) has been limited.
I'm still a bit worried it will be too RPG-ish to my taste, but one never knows . I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Will there be a demo version?
Absolutely. Yes, there's more of a "storyline" to the game, and after the extreme challenges of RTWP, this will seem like a comparatively gentle game. Lots of the tougher levels will be optional, so not everyone will have to play all levels to win the game. However, there will still be lots of tough mind challenges for those who like to seek them out. Time will tell...
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:Heya!

Glad everybody enjoyed the latest issue...
Ahem... The deadline of this retro contest "suggests" a close release-date of Wonderland Adventures... ??? Wonderlanders, stay tuned!
Don't get too excited: I don't even know myself what the release date is. It is definitely not November though. Not even sure about December. (sorry)
I told you I'm AIN'T a cyberdetective and some accident trials are NOT enough to call me that. :wink: :cry:
Sorry to hear Peegue's retiring. Will there be a leaving do to look forward to?
That's a good idea... any suggestions? :D But yes, at the start of Wonderland Adventures, Peegue will have been retired for a while already. (Peegue does get to keep the hat though... that was very important!)
Hiya... What if you can put some additional Peegue-only things plus something featuring to all the four as an unlockable feature available only to those who completed all the optional mind-bogglers?
Most definitely! I can't quite spill the beans yet, but I hope many people will use their unique talents and put a personal mark on the new game.
Oh can I parcipiate too? :P
Oh....The "good" old C64 days Nostalgia at it's best . I actually still have a C64 (and C128) in the basement somewhere - including all the games I used to play.
I'm even sadder - I actually bought one on Ebay not too long ago (I had sold my own many many years ago). Unfortunately the Floppy Drive didn't work, so it's use (so far) has been limited.
I'm even sadder -- except the 386 I don't have any old computoria and so I only know one game of your retroboom. :lol:
I'm still a bit worried it will be too RPG-ish to my taste, but one never knows . I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Will there be a demo version?
Absolutely. Yes, there's more of a "storyline" to the game, and after the extreme challenges of RTWP, this will seem like a comparatively gentle game. Lots of the tougher levels will be optional, so not everyone will have to play all levels to win the game. However, there will still be lots of tough mind challenges for those who like to seek them out. Time will tell...
A demo version is a goody! 8)
Can you at least tell us when some absolutely-fresh-not-really-complete-alpha-version will come out?

P.S. Most of official levels of RTWP are easier than Wonderland or WSW. Can't say that for customs though. :twisted: What do you think of Lillie's Lunacy for example? Until I EVENTUALLY got past the z-bots and read the spoiler, I was stuck forever!
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Mahaloof
Rainbow Master

Post by Mahaloof » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, those pictures from Wonderland Adventures have me drooling all over the keyboard.
Of course we're all biting our knuckles from waiting, but take your time, Patrick, and make it fabuleeze!

I migh try the C64 contest, but I never played the whole slew of games on it. Just a few favourites....

On second thought: Can't wait for Wonderland Adventures, so hurry up, please!! :D
eeyore31
Rainbow Master

Post by eeyore31 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:02 am

So very excited about our up-coming new Adventures!!!! The pics look great. I can't believe it's been 4 years already. :shock: I never had a Comm64----I was a straight Atari and nintendo girl myself :wink: but very interesting to read and check out.

Thanks for mentioning the Halloween levels too----I forgot all about them :oops:

Waiting for the new game----anytime is fine----I don't mind waiting----I'll be right here----waiting-----waiting----waiting----- :lol:
Yes, I'm a donkey......
and I'm purple.....
and I am Polly, Minnie's little sister.
kiki
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by kiki » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm

:D :D :D The new Wonderland Adventures looks great, I can't wait! :D :D :D
Keeks
amy25
Rainbow Star

Post by amy25 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:09 pm

I'm the same, drooling on my keyboard! I so cannot wait till it comes out! Everything looks cool and grats to the halloween level makers for being recognized! :lol: :D :D :D
If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you have to wake up and pay attention.
wonderland01
Rainbow Master

Post by wonderland01 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:35 am

The New Game Looks great! I cannot Wait! :stinkycool:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:42 am

Midnight Synergy wrote:Not even sure about December.
Let me guess, Winter 2034 2034 2034.
Code running: 734ruuru8r99e
Command to PC: Make WA (Wonderland Adventures) finished by tomorrow. 8)
PC: Me brain is dying sir.
You: Oh do I have to get a new hard disk just because your brain died.
PC: Obviously, WA will take over millions of GBs. :roll: 8) :roll:
Last edited by dlcs18 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dlcs18
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:10 am

What about the mothererboard and CPU (ZA Central Proscessing Unit is in the motherboard)? That is where the real computer brain is! (Or am i just being a geek?) :roll: :lol:
Don't eat your computer... or it might eat you! :stinkylol:
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 pm

Does anyone know where to get a good spectrum emulator? :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:26 pm

If you tell me what
TheoX wrote:a good spectrum emulator? :wink:
is. Then I might be able to help u :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dlcs18
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:35 pm

It runs an application that can run spectrum stuff.
o_0
'-|-
"/\
This is Guy. Copy Guy into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
loof101
Rainbow Master

Post by loof101 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:55 am

What? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John925
Rainbow Master

Post by John925 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:46 am

It can run old-timer stuff on a fansy-shansy new-fangled Windows PC.
o_0
'-|-
"/\
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:51 pm

Well, I finally got hold of a working 1541 floppy drive for my C64. Had a blast of a time going through some old disks and replaying some of the games. I must say that it is a lot more fun doing playing these on a real system (with a classic Atari joystick, of course!) than on the emulators. :D

I played a bit of Ultima IV (of course), but must say that the sheer size of the game makes this a lower candidate for replay value. I like my gaming in bite-sized chunks these days, and not in week-long marathon sessions (which is why you don't find me on World of Warcraft, etc.).

Spent most of my time playing Impossible Mission (still fun, but hard!), Jumpman Junior (wee!), Fort Apocalypse (frustrating, but I got further than I ever did during the 80s - even on my second game :shock: :? ), and Master of the Lamps (dig the music! also got to the very end of the first lamp, but by that time it was late and my brain just couldn't get through the memory puzzle).
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:54 pm

Hey, thinking about Vortex, I suddenly came up with an idea. Why won't WA come with an animated Vortex SCREENSAVER? (Like the background)

I know I hate Vortex, but isn't this a good idea?

EDIT: I want the screensaver to be optional - you decide if you want to install it or not. (I'll bet everyone who likes Warp would install it :wink: )
EDIT2: Here is an image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Then
Rainbow Seeker

Post by If Then » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:47 pm

That's a GREAT idea!
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:26 pm

How to do it is the question... :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
mette
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by mette » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:15 pm

So....When do you post the correct answers for the C64 challenge?

Mette
\Mette
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Ok, here are the results for the Retro C-64 Challenge.

The top score (and hence guaranteed winner of a copy of Wonderland Adventures) was..... drumroll..... Mette & Bjarne, with a score of 23. Well done: especially getting five of the eight music pieces was tough!

E-mails have gone out to all the winners. I don't recognize any other forumites on the list (what, are you all Spectrum fans?!? ;) ) but often I don't know people's real names.

Even if you did not send in your guesses - feel free to post below what your score would have been (i.e. how many screens/tracks you did recognize). Hope you had some fun with it, and congrats again to all winners.

Here are the answers:

Screenshots:
1) Spy vs Spy
2) Turrican
3) Wizard of Wor
4) Way of the Exploding Fist
5) Heart of Africa
6) H.E.R.O.
7) Castle of Terror
8 ) B.C.'s Quest for Tires
9) The Last Ninja 2
10) Encounter +
11) Pitfall 2: The Lost Caverns
12) Super Pipeline 2
13) Archon: The Light and The Dark
14) Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
15) The Hobbit
16) The Bard's Tale
17) Elite
18 ) Boulder Dash
19) Impossible Mission
20) Master of the Lamps

Music:
1) Monty on the Run
2) Barbarian
3) Hover Bovver
4) Arkanoid
5) R-Type
6) Exodus: Ultima III
7) Revenge of the Mutant Camels
8 ) Crazy Comets

Bonus - Classical Music:
Track #7 is Luigini's Ballet Egyptien, note-for-note.
(also, Track #3 is the English folk song "English Country Garden")
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Wow!!!!!
Congratulations Mette and Bjarne!!
You get Wonderland Adventures free! :D :D :D :D :D
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚