Ambiance Pack

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm

If you know how to be random then you can conjure up some pretty scary stuff.
No one expects to see a random black thing appear for no reason, or see giant teeth rise from the ground, or a creepy waving man, or giant hands.
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master

Post by ILoveWonderland » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't see why people argue everytime MNIK says that an idea is stupid. It's because he seems to hate all of the stuff he's created for some reason I cannot quite understand, and I doubt saying anything is going to change it.
Insert stupid jokes here.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm

It's usually because he creates something that he usually finds much better, and when compared to each other, the old thing seems kinda old and lame in his eyes.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 am

MNIK is a self-judgemental awesomesauce. One day, he'll be doing some major job working for a big company or something, and he'll look back and say, 'Look at how crappy I was at those internet forums when I was younger.'
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am

StinkerSquad01 wrote:It's usually because he creates something that he usually finds much better, and when compared to each other, the old thing seems kinda old and lame in his eyes.
That's a matter of quality comparison which only applies to my Game Maker games. I think my opinion there is pretty justified, all things considered.

On the subject of WA stuff:

You don't see me claiming that Mr. Zurkon's Retarded Holiday II was bad because that adventure was good and still holds up very well to today's standards. Even if I made an adventure that was way better, I would still think MZRH2 is good.

With Gem Chompers, I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make something "scary" in a cartoony and cheerful game. Granted, I made several bad decisions on the way (using ambiance music, having Slenderthwart be harmless in Episode 1, etc), but for the most part I succeeded.

However, some newer adventures (made not much later, in fact) which did similar things to Gem Chompers were compared to Gem Chompers. They were generally agreed to be better. If something I made could be so easily trumped, then I consider it to be bad and a wasted investment of my time.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to make Gem Chompers Episode 3, though. In fact, I'm somewhat looking forward to it, considering that I've learned from my mistakes.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm

MyNameIsKooky wrote:However, some newer adventures (made not much later, in fact) which did similar things to Gem Chompers were compared to Gem Chompers. They were generally agreed to be better. If something I made could be so easily trumped, then I consider it to be bad and a wasted investment of my time.
Look: I'm SORRY I was so rude about GC2 on Wonderman's TNW3 topic. Gem Chompers will ALWAYS be the most awesome scary adventure in this forum, because it was the first. You should be proud of creating that.
Master Wonder Mage
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Master Wonder Mage » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:33 pm

yot yot5 wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote:However, some newer adventures (made not much later, in fact) which did similar things to Gem Chompers were compared to Gem Chompers. They were generally agreed to be better. If something I made could be so easily trumped, then I consider it to be bad and a wasted investment of my time.
Look: I'm SORRY I was so rude about GC2 on Wonderman's TNW3 topic. Gem Chompers will ALWAYS be the most awesome scary adventure in this forum, because it was the first. You should be proud of creating that.
IMO the first always wins. Yes, minor improvements can be made to make things better, but TNW3 probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't for GC2
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 pm

It would've, but I'd never have the guts or imagination to make it the way I did without GCII. My original ideas for scary monsters involved messing around with normal textures to the point that they looked mesemrizingly creepy, and making nearby wall and water textures look distorted in a ghostly way.

Regardless, I still want to see a V2. I simply cannot find any music that perfectly suits a quiet forest or a busy city in my music folder.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:46 am

Also-
MyNameIsKooky wrote:Granted, I made several bad decisions on the way (using ambiance music,
How is using Ambiance Music a mistake? It's much more immersive than regular music because it makes you feel like you're really there. Silence may make it a bit scarier, but complete silence feels too unreal. Plus, the Ambiance Pack is inspiring.

And again, I would like V2. No mean to nag. :)
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:18 am

Wonderman109 wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote:Granted, I made several bad decisions on the way (using ambiance music,
How is using Ambiance Music a mistake? It's much more immersive than regular music because it makes you feel like you're really there. Silence may make it a bit scarier, but complete silence feels too unreal. Plus, the Ambiance Pack is inspiring.
People were saying that the adventure was scarier without ambiance music, but you bring up some pretty good points there.
Wonderman wrote:And again, I would like V2. No mean to nag. :)
Yeah, I can think of a few more things to add for a potential V2 some time in the future.
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by Sammy_P » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 pm

dis ned be reuplod

(this needs to be reuploaded ASAP)
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:28 am

The link is still out of service. I'm guessing MNIK doesn't intend to fix it until after PoTZ. :|
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 am

Wonderman109 wrote:The link is still out of service. I'm guessing MNIK doesn't intend to fix it until ever. :|
Fixed.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 pm