The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 pm

mqdar wrote:I might, because I like doing this sort of stuff. :D
Go for it! Actually, if there's a way someone can set up a wiki, that will make it easier for everyone to contribute to making such a tutorial.

Here's an outline of all the knowledge that as been accumulated on this thread. Use it as a starting point for your tutorial website:
  1. how to use custom WOPs
    • what folders to put WOP files in and where they'd show up in the Editor as what
  2. how to apply custom textures to objects
    • introduce "TextureName" adjuster
      (include link/zip to modified Editor WOPs with added TextureName adjuster)
    • where to put custom object texture files
    • how to create custom object textures
      • where to find templates for object textures (answer: .wdf files in Data\Models\xxxx)
  3. "new" features available in WA Editor from WOPs:
    • POW magic (link to "Orange GloveCharge.wop")
      • difference from MOFI POW magic
    • bounce (missile) magic and MissileFlowers (link to WOPs/textures)
      • overview of magic's behavior
    • other magic-shooting flowers (Data1)
      • you can't freeze yourself with Brr
    • GC enhanced button
    • wooden box
    • arcade and tokens
    • other fun objects created by others
  4. how to set up demo MOFI for your hub-based custom adventures
    • what is hub?
    • why MOFI? (answer: Editor support for hubs incomplete)
    • introduce Adventure Star wop (link to download)
      • how are the files stored? (Data\Adventures\AdventureXXX, Data\Adventures\Hub)
    • introduce MasterDatEditor (link to download)
      • explain what the options do
    • introduce Floing (CMD 115)
    • setting up demo MOFI for your use
      • localsaveon
      • create GameData folder for custom content (equivalent to Editor's User Data folder)
      • copy music files from Editor
      • new game always start at 1.wlv (37,8 )
        • how to "change" it via immediate redirect (LevelExit at starting location)
      • packaging the files into an installer
      • customizing various graphics (eg. loading screen graphics, main menu background, font, etc.)
    • new MOFI features you can easily make use of
      • Grow and Flo magic
      • rainbow coins and rainbow gates (link to WOPs)
      • magic shooters (link to WOPs)
      • waterfall (added Data0 for lava and acid waterfalls; link to WOP)
      • lava tiles (link to TP1)
        • note MOFI's standard watertex replaced rainbow with lava
      • map pieces
      • anything else?
      • CMD 116/117 (hat/accessory change)
    • (advance) how to set up a copy of MOFI to test individual custom adventures
      • note: played that way, custom adventure starts with Gloves, Glowgem, and Spy-eye
  5. Making use of new MOFI objects via MOFILevelConverter (link to program)
  6. Using shards and glyphs with hub-based adventures in MOFI
    • how to enable shards teleporting (CMD 114)
    • destinations of shards teleporting
    • glyphs and the Magic Mirror
    • destinations of glypys teleporting
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:06 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, I knew a lot has been discovered (mostly thanks to you :lol: ), but now that it's laid out in outline form... incredible.

Anyway, well, thankyou for the outline! I'll use it as a rough guide for this huge 'tutorial'. :) :lol:
Also, I won't put it on the internet, I'll just write a Microsoft Word document, but if anyone who understands HTML would be willing to write the HTML for my entire guide, and download all the pics that could come with it, then they could make it into a site! Just remember, it'll be a looong read.

EDIT: Actually I think I will make an HTML file to minimize the work needed by another who can host the page, to be able to include links (to jump to specific sections of the page), and to give myself some real reason for having learned HTML in the first place. :wink:
Skype wrote:[7:23:42 AM] Darx: Click here to give me an internet!
[7:23:57 AM] 'a'a: *clicks here*
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:25 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:In theory, the level can be played in the Editor provided the converter hasn't been used, right?
You could try but strange things may happen. Certainly all the new MOFI elements will not work.

I have further news though: I found a way to trick demo MOFI into going into a "custom adventures" mode similar to the player program in WA Editor package. Do this:

<instructions>

I haven't tested this thoroughly. I already notice that unlike the Editor, when you play custom adventures this way, they seem to always start off with the magic glove, the spy eye and the glow gem already in your item bag. :!: I'm not sure how to suppress this but it might be a boon in testing.

I suspect there's probably an easier way to activate this "test mode", maybe via some key combination, but I'll have to ask Patrick to see if such a shortcut exists.
I just thought of something.

If this whole testing feature is still intact in MoFI... Is it possible that the Editor is still intact here? :shock:

If it was, then it would be easier for us to make adventures with MoFI items, but then again it probably isn't there.

Still, it's worth wondering about.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Qloof234 wrote:If this whole testing feature is still intact in MoFI... Is it possible that the Editor is still intact here? :shock:
If the MOFI editor's anything like the WA Editor package, the editor and the player are separate programs (Editor.exe and wg.exe), so no.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Aww.. That would've been epic. :(
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:00 am

D-P

I'm not sure if it has to do with the number of adventures in my testbed copy or anything, but as soon as I abort in an adventure the game MAV's.

Perhaps it's still trying to go back to a hub level or something?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:45 am

Qloof234 wrote:I'm not sure if it has to do with the number of adventures in my testbed copy or anything, but as soon as I abort in an adventure the game MAV's.

Perhaps it's still trying to go back to a hub level or something?
First, check that you have localsaveon.

Assuming that's not the problem, then hmm......well, I have like 4-5 questions I could ask, but if it's not too large, maybe you can zip and upload the "GameData\Adventures" folder in your testbed copy for me to take a look. Did you ever get to the adventure selection screen or did the MAV happen before that? Is it happening with any adventures or just certain ones?

When I first got it to work, I copied the entire User Data\Adventures folder from my WA Editor, and there were like over 30 adventures. How many adventures are we talking about in your case?

One thing I did check: even if the master.dat of the adventure you selected has hub-related data (win/lose destinations and cmds), abort adventure won't try to return to the hub. So that's not something you need to worry.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:24 pm

cbloopy wrote: One thing I did check: even if the master.dat of the adventure you selected has hub-related data (win/lose destinations and cmds), abort adventure won't try to return to the hub. So that's not something you need to worry.
Okay, yeah, then it's just because I have so many adventures in that folder, because it seems that the higher the number is the more likely it'll be to MAV. :?
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Can we hack the main wg.exe to make it look in folders as well, and also being able to sort between the adventure name and creator?
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 am

JohnEmmanuel143 wrote:DP but I got an Idea why Qloof had a problem on the wee stinker-portal box changing!

You cannot change this because stinkers and weestinkers uses 3 or more textures!

Like for example,
Weestinkers sleep,follow and die...

Stinkers use up to a lot of textures!(No need to edit the textures though,you got selections)
I can change stinker into wee stinker but not wee stinker into stinker.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 am

cbloopy wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:In theory, the level can be played in the Editor provided the converter hasn't been used, right?
You could try but strange things may happen. Certainly all the new MOFI elements will not work.

I have further news though: I found a way to trick demo MOFI into going into a "custom adventures" mode similar to the player program in WA Editor package. Do this:

1) create a copy of everything in your demo MOFI folder (if you have WACP set up, that would not be a bad starting point; make a copy of the entire game folder and subfolders), copying it to some other folder. Make sure localsave is on.

Call this the "testbed copy".

2) copy the Adventures folder from the Editor (c:\WA Editor v096\User Data\Adventures) into the GameData folder of your testbed copy of demo MOFI.

3) Delete all adventures and hub folders under Data\Adventures in testbed demo MOFI, replacing them with the attached folders.

4) run testbed demo MOFI and select "Start New Game"

5) you'll basically be instructed to keep selecting "Abort Adventure". After doing this twice, you'll end up on the custom adventures selection screen! :shock: 8)

6) finally, select any custom adventure and start playing it, then save it into any save slot. From now on, instead of going through steps 4 and 5 to get to the selection screen, just select "load game" and load from this save slot, and then "abort adventure", and you'll end up back on the selection screen!

You'll need to repeat steps 4-6 once per player profile you use in testbed demo MOFI.

I haven't tested this thoroughly. I already notice that unlike the Editor, when you play custom adventures this way, they seem to always start off with the magic glove, the spy eye and the glow gem already in your item bag. :!: I'm not sure how to suppress this but it might be a boon in testing.

I suspect there's probably an easier way to activate this "test mode", maybe via some key combination, but I'll have to ask Patrick to see if such a shortcut exists.
??? This doesn't work ???
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Clifford wrote:
JohnEmmanuel143 wrote:DP but I got an Idea why Qloof had a problem on the wee stinker-portal box changing!

You cannot change this because stinkers and weestinkers uses 3 or more textures!

Like for example,

Stinkers use up to a lot of textures!(No need to edit the textures though,you got selections)
What bearing does that have on Wee Stinker -> Boxes?

It doesn't have any bearing, because Stinkers and Wee Stinkers both use at least 3 textures.

The cuboids use only one.
Clifford wrote:??? This doesn't work ???
Believe me, it does work. Take a look over the instructions again and make sure you're following them 100%. :wink:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:41 pm

AJQZC wrote:Can we hack the main wg.exe to make it look in folders as well, and also being able to sort between the adventure name and creator?
I'll answer you with a question: Why don't you try making sense of any programming in the wg.exe?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Someone who knows A LOT about programming probably can.

Using the power of science! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

putting monsters/NPCs next to springs: a WOP solution

Post by cbloopy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:37 pm

As some of you might know (and Emerald141 discovered in her own adventure), if you put a monster or NPC next to a spring in a level, when the level starts the monster/NPC will be destroyed instead of sprung. :!: :shock: :?

Well, I think I've figured out how to work around that problem :idea: , by modifying the WOP data. So I've attached a set of WOPs which are identical to the normal monster/NPC WOPs, but with some additional data that seems to prevent the game from that destruction behavior. I have no idea though if there are any additional side effects to my changes (testing suggested no, but I've only done limited testing), which is why I've named the files slightly differently from the originals, so you can still use the original WOPs.

I've also attached a test level illustrating the difference between my WOPs and the original WOPs. I'm not sure whether the apparent difference in speed at which the bouncing monsters move at are a result of my changes, or whether that would've happened anyway normally. I'll leave that mystery for someone else to make a test level and find out.

[edit: I looked at my test adventure more closely and I don't think they are bouncing at different speeds, just that a few objects, scritters and wee stinkers in particular I think, seems to start bouncing a little later than the other objects. Still not sure why, but hopefully not a big deal for most levels.]

(Oh, and yes, the test adventure is winnable, I'll leave it to you to figure out how...... :twisted: :wink: )

[EDIT: fix wrong link]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbloopy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Last edited by Emerald141 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
Clifford wrote:

Like for example,

What bearing does that have on Wee Stinker -> Boxes?

It doesn't have any bearing, because Stinkers and Wee Stinkers both use at least 3 textures.

The cuboids use only one.
Clifford wrote:??? This doesn't work ???
Believe me, it does work. Take a look over the instructions again and make sure you're following them 100%. :wink:
Opps!!! I missed the attachment!!!
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:35 am

Emerald141 wrote:I'm a boy. :lol:
I need to give some info about myself... Ahem...

I am a nine year old boy who lives in Australia. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:38 am

cbloopy wrote:
mqdar wrote:I might, because I like doing this sort of stuff. :D
Go for it! Actually, if there's a way someone can set up a wiki, that will make it easier for everyone to contribute to making such a tutorial.

Here's an outline of all the knowledge that as been accumulated on this thread. Use it as a starting point for your tutorial website:
  1. how to use custom WOPs
    • what folders to put WOP files in and where they'd show up in the Editor as what
  2. how to apply custom textures to objects
    • introduce "TextureName" adjuster
      (include link/zip to modified Editor WOPs with added TextureName adjuster)
    • where to put custom object texture files
    • how to create custom object textures
      • where to find templates for object textures (answer: .wdf files in Data\Models\xxxx)
  3. "new" features available in WA Editor from WOPs:
    • POW magic (link to "Orange GloveCharge.wop")
      • difference from MOFI POW magic
    • bounce (missile) magic and MissileFlowers (link to WOPs/textures)
      • overview of magic's behavior
    • other magic-shooting flowers (Data1)
      • you can't freeze yourself with Brr
    • GC enhanced button
    • wooden box
    • arcade and tokens
    • other fun objects created by others
  4. how to set up demo MOFI for your hub-based custom adventures
    • what is hub?
    • why MOFI? (answer: Editor support for hubs incomplete)
    • introduce Adventure Star wop (link to download)
      • how are the files stored? (Data\Adventures\AdventureXXX, Data\Adventures\Hub)
    • introduce MasterDatEditor (link to download)
      • explain what the options do
    • introduce Floing (CMD 115)
    • setting up demo MOFI for your use
      • localsaveon
      • create GameData folder for custom content (equivalent to Editor's User Data folder)
      • copy music files from Editor
      • new game always start at 1.wlv (37,8 )
        • how to "change" it via immediate redirect (LevelExit at starting location)
      • packaging the files into an installer
      • customizing various graphics (eg. loading screen graphics, main menu background, font, etc.)
    • new MOFI features you can easily make use of
      • Grow and Flo magic
      • rainbow coins and rainbow gates (link to WOPs)
      • magic shooters (link to WOPs)
      • waterfall (added Data0 for lava and acid waterfalls; link to WOP)
      • lava tiles (link to TP1)
        • note MOFI's standard watertex replaced rainbow with lava
      • map pieces
      • anything else?
      • CMD 116/117 (hat/accessory change)
    • (advance) how to set up a copy of MOFI to test individual custom adventures
      • note: played that way, custom adventure starts with Gloves, Glowgem, and Spy-eye
  5. Making use of new MOFI objects via MOFILevelConverter (link to program)
  6. Using shards and glyphs with hub-based adventures in MOFI
    • how to enable shards teleporting (CMD 114)
    • destinations of shards teleporting
    • glyphs and the Magic Mirror
    • destinations of glypys teleporting

Did I miss something???
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Mention hot spots too. :P
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:07 pm

"Hot spots"?
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm

The hot-spots are lava, and the name was coined while the User-made solutions were being done, I think.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Clifford wrote:Did I miss something???
No you didn't miss anything. I just haven't posted details on the glyphs/mirror yet since I haven't finished yet with the next update to MOFILevelConverter.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Clifford wrote:I need to give some info about myself... Ahem...

:shock: What?!? you mean you're not a red puppy?!? :wink: :lol:
dlcs18
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by dlcs18 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:55 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:I need to give some info about myself... Ahem...

:shock: What?!? you mean you're not a red puppy?!? :wink: :lol:
No he isn't, and I am not a metal planet in space with small cages on it. :P :lol:
dlcs18
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm not a random swirly thing... :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:

I think... :roll: :? :lol: :lol:
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm

And I"m not that square eternally pushing the box around. :lol:
CatHat5678
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by CatHat5678 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 am

well i am a stinker :D
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because if the road crossed the chicken the old lady's would trip over the bump!
(no offence to anyone who thinks of themselves as "old")
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:13 am

I'm not a guy with black hair, a sword, and a shield at all.

But I do have a wooden replica sword here somewhere, and my hair is pretty long... Now where's that black hair dye... :lol:
mqdar
Rainbow Star

Post by mqdar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 am

Qloof234 wrote:I'm not a guy with black hair, a sword, and a shield at all.

But I do have a wooden replica sword here somewhere, and my hair is pretty long... Now where's that black hair dye... :lol:
Yeah but what about the shield? :P :lol: