The Ultimate WA Editor Hex-Editing Topic! Take A Look!

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Clifford wrote:Can you post a mofi wg.exe an editor wg.exe and editor.exe in blitz 3d format?
Um, not only have I explained decompiling is not feasible, but even if it were possible, posting or otherwise distributing source code would be a serious copyright violation. So NO. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Mon May 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Clifford wrote:I'm not going to let the file sit on my computer doing nothing!!!
Um, here's a thought: how about making some levels with it? :roll: :lol:
I'm actually trying to turn it into an editor with mofi features like cbloopy did a bit. Then I might even think about making a platinum version! (If I have time. The platinum version... well let's say we had a stinker and you want it to wave, then when you actually place the model in the editor, then it'll wave!!!
I wouldn't try that even myself. I think you forget that decompiler is only half the equation. If you're adding new features (as opposed to extending old features, for which you could just copy and adjust the existing machine code/assembly), you're gonna need a compiler as well (coding stuff from scratch in machine code/assembly would be "digging to center of the Earth with a spoon"). Last I check the Blitz3D package costs $100 US. The current Editor is extremely simplistic and would require substantial changes even to do the waving thing you described (or heck, even making it display a hat on a Stinker NPC would require substantial changes).

Of course, you can just rewrite the Editor from scratch if you get Blitz3D. Except for dialog files (for now), the format for .wlv, master.dat, and .wa2 are well-known by yours truly.
EDIT: I found a visual basic decompilier, but of course, MOFI is NOT made with visual basic. :cry: :cry:
Visual Basic is not a true compiled language, it compiles to an intermediate format called p-code and then the Visual Basic runtime interprets the p-code to run the program. And in any case, I suggest you try to write a VB program, "compile" it to an EXE, and then use the decompiler on it. You'll likely find that what you get back out of the decompiler is substantially messier and harder to understand than your original source code.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Clifford wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Image

Pictures say a thousand words. :wink:

As for the file itself...

It's in the .zip file on this post - however, to use it, you need to download the image on this post to the WA Editor v96/Custom folder.

Something I want to point out so it doesn't become an issue later - Yes, I made the .wop file, set the model texture, made sure it acted the way it should have, etc. etc.

However, as for the texture changing (Data2), it's thanks to cbloopy for that - I ended up PMing him when my first attempts at this didn't work, and he suggested I try Data2 instead.

Despite this, there are still some kinks that need working out - the adventure included demonstrates what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where these "kinks" are coming from myself, so I can't do anything about them at the moment.

Enjoy, I guess! :lol:
Ummm I don't think we should enjoy...

You forgot to change the byte!!! :lol:
Hint: No.

Do you actually think I'd release this without testing it fully?

If you're so convinced that I haven't finished it, then let's see some proof, seeing as what you've just said without any proof kinda makes you look like a jerk, to be honest.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
Clifford wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:Image

Pictures say a thousand words. :wink:

As for the file itself...

It's in the .zip file on this post - however, to use it, you need to download the image on this post to the WA Editor v96/Custom folder.

Something I want to point out so it doesn't become an issue later - Yes, I made the .wop file, set the model texture, made sure it acted the way it should have, etc. etc.

However, as for the texture changing (Data2), it's thanks to cbloopy for that - I ended up PMing him when my first attempts at this didn't work, and he suggested I try Data2 instead.

Despite this, there are still some kinks that need working out - the adventure included demonstrates what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure where these "kinks" are coming from myself, so I can't do anything about them at the moment.

Enjoy, I guess! :lol:
Ummm I don't think we should enjoy...

You forgot to change the byte!!! :lol:
Hint: No.

Do you actually think I'd release this without testing it fully?

If you're so convinced that I haven't finished it, then let's see some proof, seeing as what you've just said without any proof kinda makes you look like a jerk, to be honest.
Strange, I'm Sure that it didn't work until I changed the byte. Hmmm, is this my computer that's changing the bytes??? :twisted:
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 pm

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:I'm not going to let the file sit on my computer doing nothing!!!
Um, here's a thought: how about making some levels with it? :roll: :lol:
I'm actually trying to turn it into an editor with mofi features like cbloopy did a bit. Then I might even think about making a platinum version! (If I have time. The platinum version... well let's say we had a stinker and you want it to wave, then when you actually place the model in the editor, then it'll wave!!!
I wouldn't try that even myself. I think you forget that decompiler is only half the equation. If you're adding new features (as opposed to extending old features, for which you could just copy and adjust the existing machine code/assembly), you're gonna need a compiler as well (coding stuff from scratch in machine code/assembly would be "digging to center of the Earth with a spoon"). Last I check the Blitz3D package costs $100 US. The current Editor is extremely simplistic and would require substantial changes even to do the waving thing you described (or heck, even making it display a hat on a Stinker NPC would require substantial changes).
I DO have the full version of blitz 3d if that's what your talking about.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 pm

AJQZC wrote:
Clifford wrote:ok, you have a green hat, that's simple, stone coloured teleporter though?
I changed the models in the subdirectory. :wink: As for the "stone coloured" teleporter, I got it from this thread, thanks to Qloof. (It seems to fit the teleporter better)
What I don't get, is on WA Beta, the teleporter isn't stone coulered.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 am

Clifford wrote:I DO have the full version of blitz 3d if that's what your talking about.
Well great! Then there's nothing preventing you from writing your own editor now, given time and effort. I can give you all relevant information on file formats (except *.dia files for now). Good luck!
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am

Clifford wrote:
AJQZC wrote:
Clifford wrote:ok, you have a green hat, that's simple, stone coloured teleporter though?
I changed the models in the subdirectory. :wink: As for the "stone coloured" teleporter, I got it from this thread, thanks to Qloof. (It seems to fit the teleporter better)
What I don't get, is on WA Beta, the teleporter isn't stone coulered.
Well yeah, but the game's data has practically no protection in the beta, so you can change textures around and stuff. :wink:
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 7:34 am

cbloopy wrote:I have further news though: I found a way to trick demo MOFI into going into a "custom adventures" mode similar to the player program in WA Editor package. [...]

I haven't tested this thoroughly. I already notice that unlike the Editor, when you play custom adventures this way, they seem to always start off with the magic glove, the spy eye and the glow gem already in your item bag. :!: I'm not sure how to suppress this [...]
An update on this: I've finally figured out how to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to both put it permanently in "custom adventures" mode, and also to suppress it from adding the freebies to your item bag when starting a custom adventure.

I've only tested this in MOFI demo v1.02. Hopefully it'll work on other versions as well. If not, let me know and I'll figure it out.

Hack: permanent "custom adventures" mode
This hack changes the "Start Game" in the main menu so that it goes into the custom adventures selection screen instead, just like wg.exe in the WA Editor package. That business with the special hubs and aborting repeatedly is no longer necessary. To apply:

1) Create a copy of demo MOFI's wg.exe file. We're making copies so that you have a choice of which configuration to run the game in. To run a particular hacked wg.exe, just double click to start it directly, without going through "Wonderland.exe" (which is only useful for selecting screen resolution).

2) open the copy of demo MOFI's wg.exe in a hex editor.

3) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

Code: Select all

89 5C 24 04 E8 FC FF FF FF 89 04 24 E8 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

4) You might want to make a note of the address/file location where the hex editor found the byte sequence in your copy of wg.exe. That way if you want to change it back or change it to something else, you can just go directly by address to where the bytes are in your particular copy of wg.exe.

5) Look for the byte "02" towards the end of the sequence, and change that to "00".

6) save the changes.

-------------------

Hack: empty item bag when starting a custom adventure
This hack suppresses the "freebies" (spy-eye, gloves, glow gem) from being added to the item bag when you start a custom adventure, so custom adventures will start off with nothing, just like in WA Editor. To apply:

1) Create a copy of demo MOFI's wg.exe file. We're making copies so that you have a choice of which configuration to run the game in. To run a particular hacked wg.exe, just double click to start it directly, without going through "Wonderland.exe" (which is only useful for selecting screen resolution).

3) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

0F 85 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 05 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 C7 05 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 BB E9 03 00 00
Double check that it only finds one occurrence of the above byte sequence in the file. If not then abort the remaining steps and let me know.

4) You might want to make a note of the address/file location where the hex editor found the byte sequence in your copy of wg.exe. That way if you want to change it back or change it to something else, you can just go directly by address to where the bytes are in your particular copy of wg.exe.

5) Change the bytes "0F 85" at the beginning of the sequence to "90 E9".

6) save the changes.

-----------

The two hacks are independent, so you can create one copy of wg.exe and hack it so that it always does custom adventures but still gives you the freebies (good for testing perhaps), and another copy that is hacked so that it is both always-custom-adventures and no-freebies (essentially a MOFI version of WA Editor game player!).
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Tue May 05, 2009 8:45 am

cbloopy wrote:
cbloopy wrote:I have further news though: I found a way to trick demo MOFI into going into a "custom adventures" mode similar to the player program in WA Editor package. [...]

I haven't tested this thoroughly. I already notice that unlike the Editor, when you play custom adventures this way, they seem to always start off with the magic glove, the spy eye and the glow gem already in your item bag. :!: I'm not sure how to suppress this [...]
An update on this: I've finally figured out how to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to both put it permanently in "custom adventures" mode, and also to suppress it from adding the freebies to your item bag when starting a custom adventure.

I've only tested this in MOFI demo v1.02. Hopefully it'll work on other versions as well. If not, let me know and I'll figure it out.

Hack: permanent "custom adventures" mode
This hack changes the "Start Game" in the main menu so that it goes into the custom adventures selection screen instead, just like wg.exe in the WA Editor package. That business with the special hubs and aborting repeatedly is no longer necessary. To apply:

89 5C 24 04 E8 FC FF FF FF 89 04 24 E8 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00

5) Look for the byte "02" towards the end of the sequence, and change that to "00".

6) save the changes.

-------------------

Hack: empty item bag when starting a custom adventure
This hack suppresses the "freebies" (spy-eye, gloves, glow gem) from being added to the item bag when you start a custom adventure, so custom adventures will start off with nothing, just like in WA Editor. To apply:

0F 85 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 05 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 C7 05 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 BB E9 03 00 00

5) Change the bytes "0F 85" at the beginning of the sequence to "90 E9".

6) save the changes.

-----------

The two hacks are independent, so you can create one copy of wg.exe and hack it so that it always does custom adventures but still gives you the freebies (good for testing perhaps), and another copy that is hacked so that it is both always-custom-adventures and no-freebies (essentially a MOFI version of WA Editor game player!).

EDIT: Now, all we need is the editor!!!
EDIT2: Is it possable to make it go to User Data/Adventures/Current or is that an editor.exe job?
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Tue May 05, 2009 8:54 am

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:I DO have the full version of blitz 3d if that's what your talking about.
Well great! Then there's nothing preventing you from writing your own editor now, given time and effort. I can give you all relevant information on file formats (except *.dia files for now). Good luck!
:shock: WHAT!!! YOU REALLY THINK I CAN DO THAT!!! :shock:

Well, I'll give it ago. Hmm, This actually would be easier using a mix of visual basic, for text boxes for the title and blitz3d for wlv files.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 am

CatHat5678 wrote:hey every one
i worked out how to get rid if that thing that comes up when
you try to exit the mofi demo!
Well you know this is coming eventually, but to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to get rid of the demo stuff:

1) open demo MOFI's wg.exe in a hex editor.

2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

C7 04 24 00 00 00 00 E8 FC FF FF FF C7 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7

3) Change the 5th-to-last byte from 00 to 01. In other words, make the above byte sequence end with "01 00 00 00 C7" instead.

4) save the changes.

This change has the following effects:
- no more buy nag when you exit game
- the word "demo" is no longer displayed after the version number on the main screen
- "Discussion Forum" is added to the main menu

(And don't worry, the custom adventure stuff still works.)
AJQZC
Rainbow Wizard

Post by AJQZC » Tue May 05, 2009 12:24 pm

:shock: :shock:

So after these changes, the MoFI demo becomes a MoFI custom adventure player?
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Yep! :D
maxnick
Rainbow Master

Post by maxnick » Tue May 05, 2009 8:29 pm

cbloopy wrote:An update on this: I've finally figured out how to hack demo MOFI's wg.exe to both put it permanently in "custom adventures" mode, and also to suppress it from adding the freebies to your item bag when starting a custom adventure.
Could you just post the .exe you made??? :?
Uijt jt nz tjhobuvsf.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Clifford wrote:I'm going on holiday and'll be back 2 weeks later. Do you think you could also release a patch for wg.exe so that:

We can edit the text so it doesn't always show Wonderfalls; Behind Wonderfalls; Kaboom! Village etc...[...]
I found a hack for this as well:

1) open demo MOFI's wg.exe in a hex editor.

2) use the hex editor's search feature to find the following sequence of bytes (in hex):

C7 45 FC 00 00 00 00 81 3D 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 0F 85 FC FF FF FF

3) Look for the bytes "0F 85" towards the end of the sequence, and change them to "90 E9". (So after the change, the byte sequence ends with "90 E9 FC FF FF FF".)

4) save the changes.

With this change, save games will always take their titles from the .wlv file, even while you're on the hub.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm

maxnick wrote:Could you just post the .exe you made??? :?
Um, maybe later, I have bigger fish to fry at the moment (plus, as you know MediaFire and I don't go along, and I'm afraid Yahoo! has restrictive limits on downloads which can be problematic when wg.exe's 2+MB).

In the meanwhile, if someone else here wants to post the .exe, go ahead!
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Tue May 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Clifford wrote:EDIT2: Is it possable to make it go to User Data/Adventures/Current or is that an editor.exe job?
For technical reasons, it would be easier to instead change editor.exe to look in GameData. Just look for "User Data" in the hex editor and change it to "GameData" followed by a 00 byte.

[EDIT: Okay, there might be more to it than just that. Hold off on this until I figure it out.]
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 am

When I do that and run the program it says this is not a valid win32 app.

(I also made it support a KABOOM! but that wasn't the problem!)
EDIT: Opps I forgot to add the kabooms texture. I'll do that and see if that was the problem.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 am

deleted
Last edited by cbloopy on Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 8:14 am

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:When I do that
By "that", you mean the "User Data" -> "GameData" change?
Clifford wrote:and run the program it says this is not a valid win32 app.
Frankly I'm not too confident about whatever it is you're trying to do with kabooms, but anyway, the most likely reason Windows doesn't even recognize the file as an EXE anymore, is if you've inserted or deleted bytes instead of replacing them. Unlike WOP data, you cannot shift the location of existing bytes in an EXE. This is precisely why I suggest changing Editor to use GameData instead of changing the game to use User Data, because "GameData" is shorter than "User Data", and you can fit the bytes of a shorter piece of text (GameData) over a longer piece of text (User Data).

The change I'm suggesting is to change "User Data":

55 73 65 72 20 44 61 74 61
Into "GameData", followed by a trailing 00:

47 61 6D 65 44 61 74 61 00
Notice the length of the byte sequence remains the same before and after, so that the bytes that come after are not shifted from their original locations in the file.
Oops! I just made it so it loads kaboom.3ds in the editor! Not actually supporting !Kaboom in the wop!
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 am

deleted
Last edited by Clifford on Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 8:46 am

Clifford wrote:
cbloopy wrote:
:shock: WHAT!!! YOU REALLY THINK I CAN DO THAT!!! :shock:

Well, I'll give it ago. Hmm, This actually would be easier using a mix of visual basic, for text boxes for the title and blitz3d for wlv files.
triple Post!!! I'm breaking the law!!!

Ahem!!!! DO YOU think I can do that.

Hmmm I think i might.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:15 am

deleted
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 9:17 am

Could you post the editor here?

Also, you know how you got the volcanoes etc.
Well maybe can you add in other or even all of the mofi elements.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 am

Clifford wrote:triple Post!!! I'm breaking the law!!!
Well that's a bit of a gray area actually. Technically, if MS wants to, I believe they could ban even the use of MOFI level textures in our custom adventures on copyright grounds (they own the copyright to the artwork and therefore they can basically dictate their terms for which it can be used by others; obviously, right now they are fairly lenient at least for uses within the Community). I can say though that if you really are trying to write an editor from scratch, then you're not violating any copyrights since you aren't copying code from any MS programs. If you distribute your homemade editor w/o the models, textures, etc. that come from MS, then there're definitely no copyright issues since everything you're distributing are entirely your own creations. Information such as file formats are not copyrightable material.
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 am

deleted
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 am

cbloopy wrote:
Clifford wrote:Could you post the editor here?
I could email you, but could you please just try one more time, re-download my copy of Editor.exe, and then do the changes exactly as noted above? I've already done a lot that's 100 times more difficult than this simple hex editing. If you can't even get a simple hex editing right, I don't know why you're even bothering with more complicated stuff. :roll: Heck, why are you even calling yourself "Senior WA Hex-Editor"?!? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Is it something because I'm using the Free Hex-Editor Neo?

I'll try it with XIV32 or whatever it was called.

I notice I can change the text of Restart Adventure to Retry Adventure!!!
cbloopy
Rainbow Master

Post by cbloopy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 am

Ok, scratch all that. Looks like there's more to it than just changing User Data to GameData. I couldn't get it to work even when I copy over the "Data\Editor" and "User Data" folders, and w/o changing Editor.exe to look elsewhere.

In my defense, it MAVs, while you report to me Windows says the file is no longer a program, so I just thought you made a mistake in hex editing.

I'll let you know once I figure out what's causing it to MAV. I'm guessing it's looking for something inside one of MOFI's Data\XXX folders that it's expecting but not finding.
Clifford
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Clifford » Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 am

Hmmm, workes but it says can't find mesh data\models\stinker\body.b3d.

EDIT: Then MAV's out!

EDIT2: Gee, hex editing software isnt easy!!!