Could use a bit of help here...

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Could use a bit of help here...

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:40 am

Right, okay. For an adventure I'm working on, I have a Spikeyball mechanism off-screen to do Special Things™.

For the most part, it's working fine. The problem I'm having is that it's possible for the player to accidentally kill the Spikeyball and ruin the mechanism.

Here's a picture:

The Spikeyball in the lower left is for dialog, ignore that.

How this works is that when the player steps on a button (a round one in this case), the gate lowers and the teleporters activate. The Spikeyball heads through the teleporter, and thanks to the springs, rolls over the "activated" General Command switch (the upper-right one). When the player steps off the button, the gate rises, the Spikeyball rolls over the "deactivated" switch (the one next to the teleporter), re-activates the teleporter (the green diamond - the teleporters have subcolour 1), then heads back to the starting area.

The obvious problem here is that if the player steps off the gate button (if it's a round one, which it is here) or turns off the mechanism at the wrong time, the Spikeyball can be killed by the gate next to the spring.

As much as I want to make a fully functional mechanism on my own just to say "Look at me, I did something!", I can't figure out how to get this working on my own. Can anyone help me find a way to make this work without making it possible to kill the Spikeyball and break everything? Thanks. :)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

I don't quite understand what the mechanism is doing, but could your replace the round button with a diamond button? The spikeyball can close the gate with another diamond button.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Unfortunately, no, I can't.

So long as the gate is open, the mechanism is active. It only ends when the gate closes.

So long as it's active, the only two buttons in this image that the Spikeyball can activate are the rightmost GC button and the blue square (which is for a gate in the level).

Once it's deactivated, the Spikeyball turns onto the path with the teleporter and button.
Emerald141
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Emerald141 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:27 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Emerald141 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Holy... Wow.

Thanks Emerald! :D
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Emerald is a certified Wonderland mechanical engineer.
Yzfm
Rainbow Master

Post by Yzfm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13 pm

He is:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous Adventure:Time Out
Latest Adventure:Please Don't Feed The Dinosaurs!
Upcoming Adventure: History Lessons