New Adventure - A Little Exercise

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

New Adventure - A Little Exercise

Post by Lucky-Luc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 pm

So, after a loooong abstinence, I decided to give adventure-making another go. Here's one of the results (the other one is still very WIP), it's called "A Little Exercise". There are various ways to interpret this title; it's a little exercise for me to get back in touch with the editor, it's a little exercise for your brain cells, and last but not least, it's quite an exercise for stinker feet.

Unless I missed some obvious side solution, I think this adventure is pretty tough. Be assured that it can be solved though (without any glitches).

Enjoy! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm

First of all, it's really great to have you back on the forum! I've played most of your old adventures, and they were all fantastic puzzles. You can imitate the style of the real games very well.

However, on this adventure, I think I'm missing something obvious. I can't see any way to get the wee stinker past the cages. Can you give me a small hint? :oops:
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 am

yot yot5 wrote:First of all, it's really great to have you back on the forum! I've played most of your old adventures, and they were all fantastic puzzles. You can imitate the style of the real games very well.
Wow, thanks a lot! :D I have played some newer adventures recently (including some of yours), and I must say that I'm very impressed how high the quality of them has become, not sure I can keep up to that.
However, on this adventure, I think I'm missing something obvious. I can't see any way to get the wee stinker past the cages. Can you give me a small hint? :oops:
Uhm, not quite sure which cages you want to get the wee stinker past? You should be fine if you can get both yourself and the wee stinker past the first fire trap (you going first). If you mean how to get yourself past the cage: The green button also controls a teleporter, which I maybe should have noted somewhere. If you mean how to get the wee stinker past the fire trap (which I suppose to be the main puzzle): I guess your problem is that the wee stinker keeps falling asleep? Well as they say, a rolling stone doesn't grow moss ;)
While this adventure is glitch-free, it does require deeper knowledge of the engine, i. e. pathfinding and obstacles.
Tell me if you need more or different help; as I said, I suppose this to be pretty tough.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:59 am

Lucky-Luc wrote:Wow, thanks a lot! :D I have played some newer adventures recently (including some of yours), and I must say that I'm very impressed how high the quality of them has become, not sure I can keep up to that.
You definitely can in terms of puzzles. :)
Lucky-Luc wrote:Uhm, not quite sure which cages you want to get the wee stinker past? You should be fine if you can get both yourself and the wee stinker past the first fire trap (you going first). If you mean how to get yourself past the cage: The green button also controls a teleporter, which I maybe should have noted somewhere. If you mean how to get the wee stinker past the fire trap (which I suppose to be the main puzzle): I guess your problem is that the wee stinker keeps falling asleep? Well as they say, a rolling stone doesn't grow moss ;)
Oops, I meant getting the wee stinker past the firetrap. I've searched the level several times, and I just can't find any way to re-activate the red teleporter (or switch off the firetrap).
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

Ah, good to know. Unless I uploaded a wrong version, the should be a red/green square button at the very right end of the room. Might be out of sight of the spy-eye, sorry about that.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:Ah, good to know. Unless I uploaded a wrong version, the should be a red/green square button at the very right end of the room. Might be out of sight of the spy-eye, sorry about that.
The button is in sight, but it's green. The teleporter is red. :?
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Oh, now I see what you mean, that's an unfortunate coincidence. The right side of the button is green, indeed, but the left side is red, which is kind of obstructed by the stone structure however if you're just left of the fire traps. Just move you spy-eye down a bit more and you'll see it ;)
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:Oh, now I see what you mean, that's an unfortunate coincidence. The right side of the button is green, indeed, but the left side is red, which is kind of obstructed by the stone structure however if you're just left of the fire traps. Just move you spy-eye down a bit more and you'll see it ;)
Oh, I see. Now I feel stupid. :oops:
md
Rainbow Master

Post by md » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Judging by the comments, this seems like a challenging adventure. I'll give it a whirl later. :D
If you bothered to copy and paste this signature, or zoom in, to make it possible to read, then I wasted 5-10 seconds of your life.
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 am

So, anyone managed to crack this one yet? :)

Anyway, I think it's been up long enough now that I can give a few hints:

If you are stuck on the second turtle puzzle:
You need 3 Brr spells. Make the first turtle turn around, let the second turtle escape, but freeze it on its way to make the first one escape, too
If you think you just don't have enough time:
First of all, pretty much everything in this adventure is there for a reason. Especially if you look at the strangely formed beginning section; think about what that might be about. Also, think about where I used fire traps and where I used cages (and why I never used walls or water). Think about how Chompers or Wee Stinkers behave in groups and why.
Good luck!
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Lucky-Luc wrote:So, anyone managed to crack this one yet? :)
GAH, it's driving me insane.

If you've ever played one of Mark's RTW levels, you'll always feel like your missing a certain special something. You spend hours walking around the level, and then suddenly realize the solution was right in front of your eyes all along. That's how this adventure is making me feel (and that's a VERY good thing).

Anyhow, thanks for those hints! I'll go back and see if the light bulb illuminates any time soon. :idea:
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:55 am

I suppose still no success? So here is what you need to know about the engine:
1: Wee stinkers don't fall asleep while running.
2: Pathfinding happens real-time, so when an older path isn't existant anymore, wee stinkers and chompers will search a new path to their destination.
3: The game's pathfinding considers certain creatures (for example DragonTurtles) as obstacles, whereas walkable but dangerous tiles (like fire traps and cages) are not considered as obstacles (Funnily, teleporters are).
If that's still not enough, here's an outline of the solution to the main puzzle:
Let your wee stinker wait somewhere in the starting area where you can reach it later. Get one DragonTurtle into the starting area where it will wander up and down. Now, with some good timing, order the wee stinker to follow you (or onto any relatively central tile in the first turtle area). It will alternate between the lower and the upper part because one of them is always blocked by the turtle. Now you have all the time in the world to solve the second puzzle and get past the fire traps.
- Lukas
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 pm

OH DARN IT DRAGONTURTLES CAN WALK THROUGH FIRETRAPS HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT???
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm

yot yot5 wrote:OH DARN IT DRAGONTURTLES CAN WALK THROUGH FIRETRAPS HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT???
Hehe. Yeah. Should have mentioned that earlier maybe. :oops:
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:51 pm

EUREKA!!!

I finally got it! This adventure was almost certainly one of the most puzzling adventures released in the last six months. It was unique and challenging, but still very enjoyable to solve.

It's great to have you back, and I look forward to playing more of your adventures. :D
Lucky-Luc
Rainbow Master

Post by Lucky-Luc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 am

I do have a few things in mind, but they will all take some time. I hope LucWA07 will be finished in the near future, but until then you'll just have to wait ;)