Portal

For discussion of non-Wonderland topics - please read rules!

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:43 pm

I have published my first test chamber! If you wish to play it, search for "SS01 Series: 1" 8)
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Fri May 11, 2012 5:57 am

Valve should have made it so that buttons can do the opposite of what you want for evil tests where buttons would do stuff like opening the exit, but disabling stairs to the exit.
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Nobody wrote:Valve should have made it so that buttons can do the opposite of what you want for evil tests where buttons would do stuff like opening the exit, but disabling stairs to the exit.
You can bye having the stairs start active, maybe.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 pm

blaaaaigh when I start Portal 2 my subscriptions aren't there except for the ones I already had. :x Connection problem or something? :?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed May 30, 2012 7:17 am

DP.

Since my custom chamber selection thing is messed up somewhat, I decided to work on my achievements. Anyway, I have all the singleplayer ones now, so now it's just the many co-op ones I didn't get with exhypercube. So, if anyone wants to help me (random_duck on Steam) get co-op acheivements at some point... actually, I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm not sure when I'll be available, so it's not like I can pre-schedule anything.

Oh well. *shrugs*
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am

TP.

I thought I took some pictures of something me and MyNameIsKooky found, but apparently I didn't. He made a video though.
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 am

QP.

asdfghjkl I can't seem to solve or come up with any custom tests. Oh yeah, my queue got fixed by the way.
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:09 am

Nobody wrote:QP.

asdfghjkl I can't seem to solve or come up with any custom tests. Oh yeah, my queue got fixed by the way.
You can't solve mine? :?
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 pm

What? Oh, well I solved the first one. The second one I haven't really done much with, and the third one I don't know how to get the cube past the filter, or even into the funnel at all.

[/yeahifail]
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 am

Hub area after dentist.
Attachments
Portal2_01.jpg
Portal2_01.jpg (460.84 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:50 am

WOAHAHAHAHAHA
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 am

Since someone woke this thread up, I'll just note that this is my new favorite Portal 1 mod of all time, way better than Prelude:

"Portal Pro" by Mevious

30 maps with puzzles that are absolutely EPIC. No difficult flings or ninja jumps needed, you shouldn't even use "peek-a-portal" (step halfway through a portal, shoot another portal and step back) if you want to solve the puzzles "properly", which is the only way to receive full satisfaction from this mod, really.

I'm not a fan of how he worded GLaDOS, but the actual levels... my god. I have absolutely no criticism for them. Aside from a few unintended solutions and the general lack of protection against the "peek-a-portal" trick, they are all perfect the way they are.

He also has another mod, called "Rexaura" with 19 new test chambers, but it focuses exclusively on energy balls, which is tiring. The puzzles are still good, though.

EDIT:
Nobody wrote:Valve should have made it so that buttons can do the opposite of what you want for evil tests where buttons would do stuff like opening the exit, but disabling stairs to the exit.
Believe it or not, Mevious has heard your wishes, although only on one map. There is a level in "Portal Pro" with two doors that have to be passed to get to the exit. The first one is open, the second one closed. There is a button that opens the second door, but closes the first. This little catch-22 took me some time to figure out.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Technos72
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Technos72 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 am

I got Portal 2 yesterday and it was epic.

I'm also going to love designing my own chambers
Attachments
BOING.png
RANDOM MESSING AROUND
BOING.png (726.17 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:05 am

That's unsanitary.
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:23 pm

hey,I just found out how to convert coop maps to single player maps :D

just rename the file.eg mp_coop_flaming_lemons to coop_flaming_lemons or flaming_lemons (its a playground map)
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Can't you just load them from the console? I haven't played Portal 2 due to the crappiness of my computer (it runs the first Portal, but that's it) so I wouldn't know, but still...

Also, according to some extremely awesome players, most coop maps can be solved alone, but the door won't open in the end.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Krishiv738
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Krishiv738 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 am

we could play coop maps but they should be playground or it needs no teamwork.

if you want to load a map without using console, go to Valve/portal 2/portal 2/maps

then right click on any map and go to properties and click on "open with" button and click on browse button and locate your portal 2 application.
then click on apply, ok button and exit. then click on any map, game starts, then your map loads :D
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 am

Everyone who considers himself, herself, itself, coreself, otherself, whateverself a fan of Portal in even the slightest bit, stop whatever it is you think you're doing right now, click HERE and read the whole fanfic as soon as you can, then be thankful to the writer for a piece of awesome that will stay etched in your heart, mind and soul forever. It's written by wafflestories, it's called "Blue Sky" and it's so good that if Portal 3 ever comes out and contradicts this story in the slighest, I will pretend that Portal 3 wasn't canon. I cannot describe with words, just read. And yes, this does deserve waking up the topic, read and you'll see why. Sorry for the incoherence, I'm still under the effect of a concentrated burst of awesome.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 am

Since the topic was just woken up.
If you have hammer world editor experience like I do, you can easily make "evil buttons". Heck, you can even change how they appear.
"oh hey, that button's OBVIOUSLY evil, come on. It's black and blue for crying out loud."
Once made a button that made a crusher, well. Crush you. While destroying the ceiling (Gibbing!) You don't know how many times I played my own map just because of how satisfying the result was. (donthateme)
Also, that fanfic sounds interesting, Muzozavr. I'm going to check it out. :)
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
dig 222
Rainbow Star

Post by dig 222 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Everyone who considers himself, herself, itself, coreself, otherself, whateverself a fan of Portal in even the slightest bit, stop whatever it is you think you're doing right now, click HERE and read the whole fanfic as soon as you can, then be thankful to the writer for a piece of awesome that will stay etched in your heart, mind and soul forever. It's written by wafflestories, it's called "Blue Sky" and it's so good that if Portal 3 ever comes out and contradicts this story in the slighest, I will pretend that Portal 3 wasn't canon. I cannot describe with words, just read. And yes, this does deserve waking up the topic, read and you'll see why. Sorry for the incoherence, I'm still under the effect of a concentrated burst of awesome.
Spoiler wrote:THEEEEEEEEY KILLLLLLEEEEEEED KEEEEEVVVIIIIIIN!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
TheThaumaturge
Rainbow Master

Post by TheThaumaturge » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:47 pm

THIS FANFIC IS SO GOOD.

I can't stop reading, I'm already at chapter 5.

PLEASE READ IT.
Into The Rainbow!

Next Adventure: The Federation: 0%

Gentleman Scientist Supreme.

yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:40 pm

TheThaumaturge wrote:THIS FANFIC IS SO GOOD.

I can't stop reading, I'm already at chapter 5.

PLEASE READ IT.
Link (or name) please..?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Did you read my previous post? I know the page is a bit stretched to the right, but if you scroll to the right, you will find a "click here" that will lead you directly to the awesomeness of "Blue Sky", aka the best fic I've ever read in any fandom ever.
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Muzozavr wrote:Did you read my previous post? I know the page is a bit stretched to the right, but if you scroll to the right, you will find a "click here" that will lead you directly to the awesomeness of "Blue Sky", aka the best fic I've ever read in any fandom ever.
Ah, right. Thanks. :D
TheThaumaturge
Rainbow Master

Post by TheThaumaturge » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:32 am

Okay, so that was one of the most beautifully written pieces of prose I've ever set my eyes upon. Thank goodness you posted it on here, Muz, or I'd never discovered it myself.

That thing is LONG. Seriously. It could totally be a book of it's own, if Valve ever let wafflestories publish it. It took me close to a whole day - or more, I don't know - to read all of it. And it was worth it.

It's this kind of stories that feed my always-hungry desire to become a writer. In fact, I've already written a little bit of what I hope will become the plot behind a game I aspire to develop, at least when I have the aptitude to do so.

So yeah, read it. NOW.
Into The Rainbow!

Next Adventure: The Federation: 0%

Gentleman Scientist Supreme.