Custom Model Bug?

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Custom Model Bug?

Post by LexieTheFox » Thu May 14, 2015 3:01 pm

So... let's talk Custom Models for a second here.

I've become a bit of a custom model junkie as of late due to my constant adventure focus being shifted, I'm now working on an adventure called "The WSS Dragonfly" and it uses a LOT of custom content, almost ridiculously so. (All of it is royalty free, so no worries.)

But that is beside my question... if anyone is kind enough (which I know a lot of you are~) could anyone tell me how to get around the problem of a custom model not being set to it's correct offset when you place it in a level.

Let's say I put the Y offset of like a turret model to 2.0. It's in a wall but two blocks into the play field. In game, it's in the wall, but in the editor it's where I want it to be.

I'm really not sure how to counter this problem as it's happened more than once, and it's making designing the fourth level hard, extremely so. Can anyone help?
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Fri May 15, 2015 1:14 am

No idea if this is it or not, but is the model centered on all of the axis (axises?) in the modeling program and not off to the side somewhere? For example, look at this image:

ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Fri May 15, 2015 1:21 am

That's the problem.

Most of the models I've used aren't mine. (They're royalty free, meaning that I can use them regardless -- as I can't model worth anything, and even if I could, which I've tried, I can't export a .3ds file -- doesn't mean I won't give the makers of tehe models credit, though. Some really good ones are in the adventure, I really do intend to give them the attention they deserve! :D )

As far as it seems, once I use Scale-Adjust to shrink the thing down to size so that it doesn't take up the whole map

(0.99999999 + additional shrinking via XYZ Scale parameters)

It is in the center of the tile it's palced in. This makes me ASSUME that the turret model that I'm using -- as I used as an example -- is centered like you've asked me. But I'm not really sure.
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3