Five Nights at Stinky's: Now Modded

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

This hub is officially dead, as is my interest in Wonderland for the foreseeable future. I do not want to upset any of you though with all the false promises, so I will give you what I have worked on and anyone who has the passion to finish the hub can do so, I want no credit. I've wasted too much time on a game that could not be done properly.

Main

Beta B

Beta A

Textures
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: Five Nights at Stinky's: XX% Done?

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 am

It's been nearly a year, but this is back on track now. I hope you all enjoyed the versions above - the first six nights, as I had mentioned.

If you have made alternate versions, please feel free to post them on the forum!

I have a basic list of priorities:
1) Remove any outlasting glitches from NIght 6.
2) Finish NIghts 7 through 10.
3) Build the shard locations in the hub.
4) Finish the rest of the hub areas and connect them all.
5) Figure out some ending cutscene.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:45 am

I'd like an opinion or two here. The current FNAS uses Pop magic and toggle buttons to run its cameras. This can lead to glitches, but it's fun. Would it make more sense to instead give the player a bunch of tokens to work the cameras by clicking on them, once for on and again for off? Keep in mind I still need room to keep the seven shards, a lamp or glowstone, magic-gloves, and a spy-eye. That limits the camera count to 15 max, and right now it is just over that.
Timecrokba
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by Timecrokba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am

You're probably going to run into problems either way, so whichever you have right now will probably be better to stick with.
My Level List

"Its almost scary how go to bed" -Morgana Probably. Persona 5 if you don't know what thats from.
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Luckily, I happen to be on my yearly passing through the forums when I happened to see this. My hype flared up instantly.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Don't get too excited - it'll be another two weeks before I can start working on it seriously again. Right now, I'm just remembering how the whole system works - including the editor itself.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 am

Looking through old files again...anyone who downloaded the incomplete version might have been a little spooked by these...for good reason...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 am

So the main point of contention for me with this hub (and the reason I dropped it) is because doing all of the non-level stuff (the hub/main menu) is incredibly dull for me, mostly I was doing it to fit in characters of people who wanted to be involved at the time. I may simply remove all the non-level content and release the hub faster, and then if I care enough add back in all the extra stuff. The point of this hub is to be a FNAF clone, not a book. I think I was giving it too much thought the other way last time I worked on it.
PhoenixBlaze
Rainbow Wizard

Post by PhoenixBlaze » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 am

Is there still going to be a story outside of the game, just not right there in your face?

(also quookie in the third picture looks like she's trying not to cry)
currently simping for kiyotaka ishimaru
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 am
Is there still going to be a story outside of the game, just not right there in your face?

(also quookie in the third picture looks like she's trying not to cry)
The story was never in your face. Whether I include the hub or not won't affect the story much, but in order to force players to find the 'secrets' and access the last 3-4 nights, I need the shards/glyphs/etc. and thus the hub and that means AskAbouts and rebuilding Wondertown mostly from memory.

Nice observation about Qookie. If you look closely, Peegue is too.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:02 am

To prove my commitment to finishing nonetheless, I will post test levels in lieu of proper teasers. This is for the hub, which I am going to simplify but still use what has already been made.

Explanation: I figured that since FNAS takes place a very long time after PoTZ, which is already late in Wonderland's history, autodoors, 'cars', and other such contraptions comparable to the modern world are now around. Note that I'm also forcing the hand of the canon a little here - I'm assuming Wonderland's earlier trilogy takes place in the 19th century (fewer machines, still somewhat serf-like society structures) and the later trilogy in the 20th century (more technology and magic indicating science has taken over the continent), thus allowing FNAS to happen in the 21st century (robots with limited mobility existing, and automatic doors and cars).

There's no explanation or suggestion in the whole Wonderland series in-game for why the time period would be so, this is just guessing look at what tools Stinky and co. had to work with and likewise for the unnamed Adventurer of the later trilogy dealing with more automatic machines and a more populated, domesticated, Wonderland.

Looking at the file comment I wrote, I realize I need to bring something else up for people still interested in this project. You'll need literally all the mods and custom content from Aryan's archives to play this hub. I have been carefreely using custom wops, models, textures, mods, etc. There are no special requirements for music, level textures, or icon textures, but one water texture had to be used to make believable 'static', and there are countless object-textures and CUSTOM-textures, plus WonderPlus, two Statue wops from the pioneers here of mod-making, 'Fixed' bookshelves that don't glow in the dark, TruestMovements, and so on. I'll try to be reasonable as I can and not add any more than is already present, but it will be very hard to separate what is necessary in my folders from stuff for other levels and hubs. Expect several massive archives for the custom content.

EDIT: Okay, so I can remove some of the custom textures that aren't important to anything pretty easily, although I need to keep the custom wops as they are used for things such as invisible transitions and silent mechanisms. Also, I'm wrong on the music - I forgot that I created 'robot gibberish' by recording myself when I was working on the second attempt. Those files are heavy .oggs, but they're all <15 seconds and there's only seven or eight of them. These are necessary too as I've based whole cutscenes and transitions on them. Sorry folks, this might be a real burden on your drives!

On the other hand, sorting out the files should be less of a burden than I thought. I realized that the archives of my half-finished second attempt above contain only and all of the content that the second version had when I released it. So when I am done the game, I will re-download those archives and add to them the 1 or 2 new things that I cannot avoid adding.

You may find some strange files in the archives - these are a mixture of rejected ideas, parts of extra editing softwares I need, etc. Nothing to be spooked about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 am

I also need to take a moment to complain about the yaw-adjust system for level exit destinations/command 7. It's clockwise for the Master file of a hub or adventure, counterclockwise for the facing direction of the player via a level exit, clockwise for the level exit's own orientation on the XY plane, and counterclockwise again for CMD 7 (not sure on the last one).

I'm not going to bother making some big fancy chart like I usually do to figure out which one is which and coordinate the direction the player is facing with the respective angles. Instead the player can face random directions and the story will explain why. I've gotten a little impatient with these technical things that are only for looks.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:47 am

Quadruple post, but I'm really looking at myself two years ago now and asking why I thought such an extravagant backstory and hub was necessary. I guess I really believed I could get FNAS known off the forums, but there is a lot of red tape in doing so and so I'm not going to mention it outside of this forum (except the Wonderland Discord, eventually).

One such issue is that I had tollgates for stars and coins as if to force fetch-quests to fulfill quotas, along with unfinished extra wlvs where one could meet an ancient race of statue stinkers, get infinite coins for the price of 10 stars, talk to random people, etc. I will compress these ideas down a lot to finish within reason, hopefully in January. Somehow, I also had negative numbers set to tollgates in some places in the editor, which isn't possible directly and must have been a wop someone lent me that was hex-edited or the like. Whatever purpose that served back then, all the gates just take the absolute value of the negative number in the player. My level below demonstrates.

Actually, I remember faintly an explanation that negative numbers on tollgates meant the requirement of the tollgate would only be determined once entering a tile adjacent to the gate, and would be equal to the current number of stars the player had earned plus the absolute value of the negative number the gate had in the editor. So given -x stars required and a player with y stars, the requirement would be set to x+y when approached and stay that way, and would not change after or exist before. This can obviously lead to problems - what if you finish all the adventures and then seek the gate - wouldn't you be locked out and have to restart the hub?

What MS did in Wonderland Adventures with this in the ice section of the Foggy Mountains, I think, was to force the player to slide towards the -x tollgate when entering an area that had x stars before being able to reach the stars. This would prevent the aforementioned lock-out, and serve the intended purpose of making the player complete all the adventures in that area - or look for more elsewhere since Wonderland Adventures is very open-hub in the midgame chapters.

Not sure if I'm going to make use of this myself or not. Probably leaning to not, since I want to minimize non-night adventures. On a related note, I will probably be removing the arcade levels and the training mini-hub from existence, or at least their relevance. I just need to find a way to match artifacts to collectible items that can only be used in certain places at certain times, since using coins and stars is now almost out of the question with how many I've added to the hub. Originally, you'd find the coins in the levels' hidden areas and a simple coin tollgate would unlock NIghts 6+. Now, I have to decide whether to revert to that and simplify the hub even further by removing merchants, or figure out a new flagging system for completing hidden tasks.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Some final notes, as I have exams this next week and will have to drop the ball on this until next Sunday.

The hub is dropped from the game as of now, and you can find it more or less on its own below. You will need all the custom content I mentioned above as well as the three images in this post, so please run through the list above first. There is a lot to find in this hub as it is full of secrets despite not being finished, and glitch-free (although you can't progress very far due to lack of coins and stars). I also tacked on one of the several finished levels I'm not including, as it showcases a 'key' feature I had considered for cameras in the main game awhile ago.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm

I am impressed that you started completing your hub. :)

Also, instead of preparing the archive yourself, I think it's better to allow people to download them from my collection. I am not promoting myself, but it might be very difficult for you to separate the contents. I am actually having a plan to release a version of archive which would only have textures and models (i.e no custom adventures or hubs) especially for the people who are heavily interested in designing the levels.
Previously known as Aryan101
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:35 am

Aryan wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm
I am impressed that you started completing your hub. :)

Also, instead of preparing the archive yourself, I think it's better to allow people to download them from my collection. I am not promoting myself, but it might be very difficult for you to separate the contents. I am actually having a plan to release a version of archive which would only have textures and models (i.e no custom adventures or hubs) especially for the people who are heavily interested in designing the levels.
I'd appreciate that, thank you! And this is in no way promoting yourself, your work has made it a lot easier for new and returning players to set up the WAE, so you have given out a lot more than you are expecting back.

Now that the hub is removed, I will need to simplify existing nights slightly (i.e. mostly just replacing items with gold coins), and then make the new nights and a couple of cutscenes, and BAM! done. Problem is, as said above, I need to spend a lot of time studying now so I don't have the big chunks of time it takes to play through ten-minute long levels and look for non-game-breaking glitches and plot inconsistencies. That clears by Sunday, although I may have some other things come up over the holidays.

Adding the lamp as an extra (optional?) gameplay mechanic is also on my mind - you could keep it off when you expect no activity to conserve, or press a button to refill it but with some cost (a delay, some extra challenge, the button is not in the office itself but in a camera, etc.). Would definitely spice up the gameplay, although it's already pretty tough to beat Night 5 and NIght 6 is dang near impossible at the moment.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:38 am

Reminder this is rated PG.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:30 pm

[viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27281

The game now requires some of the mods for WAE, so I'm updating the title..