Is it possible to base specific events off of shards?

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Is it possible to base specific events off of shards?

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 am

Heya there.

So, another question... I'm trying to see just how much I can bend the possibility for 'optional' or determinable events in the WA Engine, and..

I'm wondering if there's a way to 'lock' certain events or special ones behind shards? Can it be done using their teleportation capabilities?

Is there any other way than their teleportation capabilities? I'm just wondering!

Thank you in advance!
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Re: Is it possible to base specific events off of shards?

Post by FinnThor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 am

LexieTheFox wrote:Heya there.

So, another question... I'm trying to see just how much I can bend the possibility for 'optional' or determinable events in the WA Engine, and..

I'm wondering if there's a way to 'lock' certain events or special ones behind shards? Can it be done using their teleportation capabilities?

Is there any other way than their teleportation capabilities? I'm just wondering!

Thank you in advance!
What exactly do you mean by 'locking' certain events? I don't 100% understand, so I can't really help you until you explain what you mean by 'locking' events.
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Think like a coingate or stargate.

These gates don't open until you have the specific number of coins/stars they require.

Therefore, they can lock certain content off until you meet that requirement.

What I'm asking is if there is a way to use the amount of shards you have to do something similar, in basic.

Let's say you have the red shard, with what I'm asking, I'm basically asking if it's possible to "check" in any possible way if the player has the red shard, and if they do, using commands a special event happens.

I could always use the shard teleportation to do this I suppose but I'm wondering if there's an easier way.
Rawr.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm

I don't think there's an answer to what you're looking for (though maybe there is), but you could always arrange an unavoidable command that happens when the player collects the shard. (If the event you're trying to "base" off a shard is in a different .wlv, you could use CMD 22 to change a dialog that is in the right .wlv so the dialog would activate the necessary event.)
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Wonderland King wrote:I don't think there's an answer to what you're looking for (though maybe there is), but you could always arrange an unavoidable command that happens when the player collects the shard. (If the event you're trying to "base" off a shard is in a different .wlv, you could use CMD 22 to change a dialog that is in the right .wlv so the dialog would activate the necessary event.)
Quite interesting.. I assume then, that to do so I would need to use the flipglitch to have two objects (system button and the shard) on the same tile?

As I can't imagine putting it in the same room as the shard unless it was a linear, boring hallway, or if the player could back out after hitting the button and semi-break the event.
Rawr.
Wonderland King
Rainbow Master

Post by Wonderland King » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:45 pm

No flipglitch necessary - you could always use CMD 41 to spawn the shard on the button. You might not even need the shard and the button to be on the same tile, if the area is configured in a way that would allow some other trick - for instance, maybe a chomper could push the button for you, or maybe you could be forced to press the button on your way back after collecting the shard.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Hmm.. I see, then. I'll keep this in mind as I incorporate the shards more into Operation Mecha.

Thank you both for your help!
Rawr.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am

Actually, turns out I have a problem.

When I used CMD 41, to transport a shard onto an invisible button, the game gave me an "Array Index out of Bounds" error.

The source X Y was 0 0 and the destination X Y was 35 10.

I moved the source to 4,3 in hopes of that being the problem, but it's strange how it errored out so eaisly.

Any idea why?
Rawr.
FinnThor
Rainbow Master

Post by FinnThor » Sat May 06, 2017 11:50 pm

LexieTheFox wrote:Actually, turns out I have a problem.

When I used CMD 41, to transport a shard onto an invisible button, the game gave me an "Array Index out of Bounds" error.

The source X Y was 0 0 and the destination X Y was 35 10.

I moved the source to 4,3 in hopes of that being the problem, but it's strange how it errored out so eaisly.

Any idea why?
I can help with this. (I use CMD 42, which is the same, except has a Z-Bot Mothership effect.) So, pretty much, let's say you put the shard at X = 15 and Y = 41. The Source X would be 15 and the Source Y would be 41. Now, let's say you want to put the shard on a bridge (activated or deactivated) at 13, 75. You'd put the Destination X as 13 and the Destination Y as 75.

Hope this helps!
Cheese!

Cheese Vs Pirates, featuring Finn, Timecrokba, and Yoda!