CONTEST: 1 Hour Challenge (Oct 02 - Nov 02)

Help Topics, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, etc.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

CONTEST: 1 Hour Challenge (Oct 02 - Nov 02)

Post by Jutomi » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm back! Did you miss me? :P

So this contest should be very straight-forward! There is only one rule:

You have 1 hour to make the whole adventure. From creating a new puzzle idea to touching up on the adventure's appearance. :P

That said, if you take 10, 20 seconds grace period to turn something incredibly stupid into something awesome, you won't be judged too harshly. (I hope; then again I plan to have a democratic vote for this.) Similarly, you can take breaks - especially if something important comes up. Just try not to think too much about making the adventure in that time; otherwise, try to count it towards the time you've spent on the adventure, hehe.

Now, I have no way of actually timing everyone myself, so this contest is going to have to take a "good faith" approach; i.e, I'll just assume you made the whole thing in an hour and didn't cheat. :P

My hope with the premise of this challenge is that it will simultaneously:
1) Really challenge those familiar with the editor
2) Be easier for those who don't feel super comfortable with making adventures since everyone's going to be below their top performance [certainly me; I usually take at least 3 hours to finish tiny adventures.]
3) Increase participation: peoples' lives are busy, and motivation is a pain, so forcing everyone to create a short adventure at a set time will be ideal!

This contest will be open until the end of October. I hope to see a lot more participation, especially given this is around the 20-year mark for Wonderland's existence. :) (Too bad I couldn't get my hub finished in time for it.)

When you're all done with your adventure, just dm it to me either on-forum or through discord. Have fun! :D
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: CONTEST: 1 Hour Challenge (Oct 02 - Nov 02)

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:37 pm

Any of these levels works, right? Took about 6 minutes each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Okay xD idk how to process five entries from one person, but I'll definitely give it a try >.>

So with one of the entries, someone took a while looking up how to use commands and the like, and I just want to make it clear that I do not consider time spent "learning the editor" to count towards your adventure. Decorating, dialogue, puzzle making, thinking of a plot, actually spending time in the editor tweaking things you know about, etc. all count towards your time; but if your adventure crashes because you don't know how a command works, or your editor is being extremely obnoxious, or you're looking up commands etc, that time will be considered excluded from your entry. :)

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:22 pm

Jutomi wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm
Okay xD idk how to process five entries from one person, but I'll definitely give it a try >.>

So with one of the entries, someone took a while looking up how to use commands and the like, and I just want to make it clear that I do not consider time spent "learning the editor" to count towards your adventure. Decorating, dialogue, puzzle making, thinking of a plot, actually spending time in the editor tweaking things you know about, etc. all count towards your time; but if your adventure crashes because you don't know how a command works, or your editor is being extremely obnoxious, or you're looking up commands etc, that time will be considered excluded from your entry. :)
I would think plot considerations, if done before starting the editor, shouldn't count.

Also, for my levels, pick any of the first three. They're very similar. The last two are just jokes.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:00 am

i didnt notice you are gone, but i would if you told me. And yes i would miss you

anyways.... This contest seems the most interesting, at least for me. Even from a kid, i always felt like a speedrunner. And i definitely wont cheat and use all my spare time :stinkyhappy:

Oh yeah also i havent made adventure in a whilee

Also even if not a lot ppl join it, i am in for the 1 hour challenge. But the theme of the level...
Pyre chaos? or pyre creation? . Or maybe some combination of both :D

Do you mind me using 0.96 and implictly using the good puzzle glitches like the black magic?
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:44 am

I know OpenWA has a support for .wa2 files, But that is only to convert inventory format and magic gloves IDs. OpenWA does not support glitches, And I told Aryan that many levels from the archive (Primarily by MNIK and by Wonderman) do not work in OpenWA for that small reason they have either the spring glitch, or the black magic glitch, or negative keys.

Thats the reason i made the bettereditor mod, but no one except me and wonderman used it at the time and i stopped the developement. (You can still download that at my github It is WA1 but it has all stuff from MOFI(i was about to do POTZ too)

Another question: Is it cheating if i build the idea of the level in my head? :D Because i am doing that all day noe hahahaha
Tech Warrior
Rainbow Keeper

Post by Tech Warrior » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:22 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:44 am

Another question: Is it cheating if i build the idea of the level in my head? :D Because i am doing that all day noe hahahaha
I think this is where the honor system comes into play, because theoretically... I could conceptualize an entire level idea "on paper" for hours on end (and indeed, this is something I do frequently), then it will only take maybe an hour to design in the editor if that. So, I would think it should be 1-hour including the time spent thinking of the puzzle concept. But maybe Jutomi can clarify.
Quest for the Five Elements - a 195-level RTW expansion pack
I am also known as Joey_San on Discord.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:57 pm

k.k :D

took me 50 minuets, i want my 10 mins to be bonus points Kappa

Play in 0.96 (because of black magic) (vanilla or better editor, vanilla best)
anyways, have fun

also don't ask what's worng with my head (after you play this)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:00 pm

It is true i copied a lot of MNIK's gimmicks. I liked the idea of having new gameplay elements, that's always exciting.

And Jutomi clarified on the discord that it's fine to spend time thinking first before doing if it's about the puzzle not the storyline (my entry doesn't have any).

I'll try Nasko's level now.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm

nasko222 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:57 pm
k.k :D

took me 50 minuets, i want my 10 mins to be bonus points Kappa

Play in 0.96 (because of black magic) (vanilla or better editor, vanilla best)
anyways, have fun

also don't ask what's worng with my head (after you play this)
Took me 10 minutes to beat. Tuff. Black magic also much fun :)
StinkyFTW
Rainbow Seeker

Post by StinkyFTW » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm doing this contest!
OH GOD. :mrgreen:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 pm

The submission phase of this contest has officially closed! Stay tuned for voting phase - hoping to do it tomorrow but it may be delayed until Friday or, worst case, Saturday. :)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Voting phase has innitiated!

https://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28198

Thank you all for your entries! I hope to see you all in the voting range. :mrgreen: