Custom Model Request: A Reflector?

Leveltextures, Custom Icons, etc. for Wonderland Adventures.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Custom Model Request: A Reflector?

Post by LexieTheFox » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Does anyone have a model or might be able to make a model that looks like a reflector?

Like from the Classic trilogy?

I would prefer one for Operation Mecha.. as I have rather retro inspired plans... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rawr.
Fear me, I bite! >:3
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 am

I have never modelled. I'll have a go!
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu May 12, 2016 7:41 am

Okay. I've made a reflector!
But, since I exported the texture as a .jpg file (not the model; that is stored in a .3ds) it can't handle transparency due to limitations of the JPEG file format.
In the WA editor, can I use a PNG file to store the texture and will it still work? If you can't, you'll have a 100% opaque reflector which won't work at all. If you can, I can export as .png and all is good!

Here is a picture of what I have done. Of course, the colours are wrong (but I can change those) and it's not transparent (which I can't change because RTW won't let me use a PNG).
Image Click for a bigger version.

Oh, you realise it won't behave like a reflector don't you? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Fri May 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Thank you, cloudrac3r!

Yeah.. I know it won't behave exactly like I want it to, but... hey, if I ever have a scenario where the reflector would come in handy, I'd like to grab the opportunity for more retro-references as well! ^.^

I'm... also not sure if the WAE can handle .pngs?
Rawr.
Pawelec
Rainbow Master

Post by Pawelec » Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

LexieTheFox wrote:I'm... also not sure if the WAE can handle .pngs?
It can handle PNG if you input the Texture path the old-fashioned, TextureName way. The ?Custom only accepts JPG.
"Let us return to the past; it will be progress."
by Giuseppe Verdi
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Thu May 19, 2016 9:16 am

Alright then. Since I can't use the editor myself to understand what you are talking about, I'll just make a transparent version and give you a 3ds, png, jpg, and bmp (I heard that the latter supports transparency too, and it apparently works in the editor).
I'll do that, zip 'em all up and upload tomorrow.

I also have no idea what WOPs are, but I heard something about them being able to take on properties of other objects. Maybe then the reflector would work properly :)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Unfortunately, that's not quite how it works.

We don't know for sure, but "WOP" likely stands for something like "Wonderland Object Properties". Everything about an object - its model, texture, what it behaves like, the model scale in-game, the individual settings for things like colour and whatnot - are stored in a .WOP file, along with the adjusters for use in the Editor itself. As a result, it's entirely possible to create a custom .WOP file that has the model of one object, but the properties of another.

The thing is, while an object's logic is stored in the .WOP file, we can't use logics that don't exist for objects in the game normally. While WA does have ice walls, which reflect spells, they don't work in the same way as reflectors, and they're a tile logic setting, so there's no way to make them work on a per-object basis.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri May 20, 2016 1:48 am

Ah-hem. Apparently those texture files I made, Wings 3D said they were stored externally.
For some reason the have nothing at all to do with the object I made and so I can rename, move or delete them to my heart's content without losing any of the colour. Hmm.

I'll...... just give you the finished model.

Edit 5 mins later: If I export a JPG and then draw on it in a graphics editor I see it in the RTW player. So it seems that the 3ds holds the material, which is what I did to change the object's properties. (colour, transparency and so on.) And the JPG is mapped on top of the object after it has been rendered. Interesting. Anyway, have fun with the model, providing you can get it work :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:09 am

Unfortunate bump, but I just noticed this topic, which seems relevant. Sadly, it's been so long that you probably don't care.
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27174
LexieTheFox
Rainbow Master

Post by LexieTheFox » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 am

cloudrac3r wrote:Unfortunate bump, but I just noticed this topic, which seems relevant. Sadly, it's been so long that you probably don't care.
http://pcpuzzle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27174
You may not be here anymore but for one, thank you!

And two, I do very much care, especially now that I'm looking into the possibility of semi-transparent objects.. how neat!
Rawr.