The Wonderland Open Source Project

Moderators: ILoveWonderland, Sammy_P, Lazy Loof

Midnight Synergy
Site Admin

Suggested Projects

Post by Midnight Synergy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 pm

I humbly offer a couple of suggestions that may be of interest:

1. Code cleanup and Version system?
WA is a messy project. It is the result of me coding on and off for ten years, adding new cold to old, half-forgetting how to code, then remembering it and shoving new features into the code. It is definitely _not_ an example of clean code. It is more akin to a giant tower that’s about to topple over. :) One possibility may be to clean up the code a little, add comments to help new users, etc.

Along with this, the community (i.e. you) should decide on how to handle many different people trying out different things at once. Perhaps there could be a versioning system available for stable released that incorporate updates made (the base version being v1.00). Alternatively, of course, people may just go off and do their own thing and post their new creations independently. Something to discuss.

2. Suggested Project - Combining code for all 3 games and editor
WA includes a variable called WAVersion. It is set to zero (for the editor) and 1,2,3 for the three WA games. The original intent was to make this available to allow all games to run from a single source code. This was fully tested, and could be an interesting thing to try to put together. It would obviously require the game content from the other games to run successfully.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Re: Suggested Projects

Post by Lazy Loof » Thu May 02, 2019 2:03 pm

This post has been deleted.
Previously known as Aryan101
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master

Post by cloudrac3r » Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm

While I'm here, I figured I'd mention that I'm currently working on a more modern and more convenient editor for RTW, which I expect to be released very soon. (Current target is a week or two from now.) I'll make a topic for it when I'm ready.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 pm
2. Suggested Project - Combining code for all 3 games and editor
WA includes a variable called WAVersion. It is set to zero (for the editor) and 1,2,3 for the three WA games. The original intent was to make this available to allow all games to run from a single source code. This was fully tested, and could be an interesting thing to try to put together. It would obviously require the game content from the other games to run successfully.
It is possible to do so, however only for MOFI and POTZ.

It seems that you have removed certain elements of WA1 like the cutscenes from the latest versions, so it would not be possible to combine all the games unless we have WA1 code. (it is also possible to re-code WA1 cutscenes but that would be difficult and buggy)
HumanGamer
Rainbow Wonderlander

Post by HumanGamer » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Aryan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm
It seems that you have removed certain elements of WA1 like the cutscenes from the latest versions, so it would not be possible to combine all the games unless we have WA1 code. (it is also possible to re-code WA1 cutscenes but that would be difficult and buggy)
If MS is unable to give you the cutscene code I could potentially decompile it for you. I'm not sure when I can get around to that though.
WA3 Editor Tools
WOP Research
WA Map Recreation

I was previously known as cooldudepoke.
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by jdl » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:53 pm

I have an interesting idea for RTW custom levels. It would most likely require a lot of work, but what about a level generator?
You put in basic details such as the size of the level you want, how difficult you want it to be, maybe even what elements you want it to use, and it spits out a level for you.
I imagine that it wouldn't be able to generate levels with elements that involve timing and pathfinding due to how complex that stuff is (Scouges or Chompers for example).
It also wouldn't do all the work for you - it would just give you something to start with, and then you continue designing it however you want.
One thing that it may be great at doing is designing Sokoban-style puzzles.
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:02 pm

Sounds like a mod for someone to make
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm

Here's a small question I have, and I know this topic hasn't been updated in years but I'm having troubles with loader.bb from the "waopensource1000.zip" package. If I compile the loader and the X button doesn't work and doesn't close the application, not even ALT+F4 work, OpenWA doesn't have this bug so I'm assuming someone found a fix already.
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard

Post by Lazy Loof » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:36 am

nasko222 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm
Here's a small question I have, and I know this topic hasn't been updated in years but I'm having troubles with loader.bb from the "waopensource1000.zip" package. If I compile the loader and the X button doesn't work and doesn't close the application, not even ALT+F4 work, OpenWA doesn't have this bug so I'm assuming someone found a fix already.
The bug is due to Flip statement not present in the end of the main loop, which somehow makes X button frozen for reasons yet unknown.
nasko222
Rainbow Master

Post by nasko222 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:25 am

Lazy Loof wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:36 am
nasko222 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:19 pm
The bug is due to Flip statement not present in the end of the main loop, which somehow makes X button frozen for reasons yet unknown.

IDK what Flip does but compiling in Debug Mode fixes it