Portal (NFG)

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Portal (NFG)

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes, I'm referring to the original Portal. I used search and found lots of miscellaneous topics about Portal, so I decided to make a single Portal topic to keep all of the discussion in. :)

I just got Portal again yesterday! :D
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Portal: Prelude is not forgiving. At all. It's hard. It makes GLaDOS look like a kitten with the final boss.

Portal: The Flash Version is worse. I'm not referring to the flash game, I'm talking about the adaptation into portal. IT'S SO HARD. It overdoes it with the final boss. I couldn't beat it until 73 tries (I counted).

Portal is too easy, in my opinion. It's a bit of a challenge with the "Transmission Received" achievement, though.

[/opinion]
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Prelude wants you dead. Which is half of that game's fun. Haven't played the Flash Version mappack, though.

Speaking of which, thanks for making a Portal topic. Reminded me to check out Transgenic86 again and his speed run is finished.

There are some weird timing arguments about the end and the whole "fade to white" sequence, but the run itself is an absolute beast regardless of what the SDA time will be.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Transgenic8 ... 0A903A68E4

The playlist is apparently not completely up-to-date, so Esc. 02 and GLaDOS battle is not in the playlist, BUT when you watch the Esc. 01 video you can find it easily in "related videos".

Just watch the whole thing, this is amazing.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I see he goes backwards a lot. Does jumping backwards really speed you up or something?
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:43 pm

In Source there's this whole "bunnyhop" thing -- if you always jump AS SOON (!) as you touch the floor (very hard to time manually, but you can either bind "jump" to mwheelup and mwheeldown or use a script that "taps the button" repeatedly with crazy speed and you can just HOLD the button instead. (Mashing/mousewheel/script is the best option, timing it manually is nearly impossible.) This run probably uses a script, which is allowed on Speed Demos Archive because it made the competition more interesting. It's a bug inherent in the Source engine. (and in many others, although the exact way of executing the glitch differs)

In Portal, Valve attempted to fix this. However, they failed to do that for players that go backwards. It's called Accelerated Backward Hopping or ABH.

Actually, the trick is to HOLD the backwards key. If you try to do a forward bunnyhop and hold backwards you just start going backwards, BUT if you already have some initial momentum you can actually do it facing forward. Discovered by Stimich and called Accelerated Forward Hopping or AFH. The result is slightly slower (holding backwards is a slight speed deduction) but at the ridiculous speeds ABH/AFH provides it simply doesn't matter.

ABH was a very old discovery, but AFH is relatively new. Unfortunately, AFH was discovered AFTER most of the run was finished, so there was no incentive to REDO the run with AFH. Future runs will probably use AFH, however. Unlike ABH, with AFH you can actually see where are you going, which is a plus.

Wait until he starts doing crazy stuff and breaking levels in increasingly ridiculous ways. No scripts here, scripts are only used for ABH/AFH/wallclimbing due to grandfather clause that (I think) started all the way back in HL2.

I'm telling you, you'll flip out at some of the ridiculous things he pulls off.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah, I'm on his Test Chamber 17 run right now and he seems to know the chamber layouts inside and out to pull some of those stunts off. :shock:
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 pm

I've seen that guy's runthrough of - I think it's Chamber 12? Where you get the upgraded Portal Gun.

13 seconds... Pretty damn fast, but I can get it just barely in 12 seconds, without bunny-hopping or anything like that. :P

Portal 2 also looks like pure awesome, Valve has a bunch of videos on their YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Valve

I want that song from the end of the videos so badly. :(
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Qloof234 wrote:I've seen that guy's runthrough of - I think it's Chamber 12? Where you get the upgraded Portal Gun.

Chamber 11.

13 seconds... Pretty damn fast, but I can get it just barely in 12 seconds, without bunny-hopping or anything like that. :P

In his speed run he uses OoB (out of bounds) glitches to skip chamber 12 while he does it. Takes a few seconds but skips a whole level, saving tons of time.

Sorry, the times cannot be directly compared.

Portal 2 also looks like pure awesome, Valve has a bunch of videos on their YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Valve

Portal 2 looks great.

I want that song from the end of the videos so badly. :(

Wasn't it just a shortened version of the song in "Portal 2 teaser trailer" video? The song is indeed epic, but the full version is even better.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm

I'm not talking about the game itself, I'm talking about the chamber on its own. :lol:

Also yeah, same song from the teaser trailer.

EDIT: Bleh, forgot to put this here - My point is that I can finish Chamber 11 just a second less than him and I don't use any inherent exploits in Source - All I use are my reflexes and my ability to think with portals. :wink:
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:59 am

I'm not thinking with Portals much. Sure, I beat the game, but I can't really grasp the designs of the Chambers in my memory, like if I were to get OOB I would have to know which part of the area is next to that.

Also, I have a problem. Whenever I look at a portal, I lag. Am I the only one here that has this problem?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:49 am

MyNameIsKooky wrote:I'm not thinking with Portals much. Sure, I beat the game, but I can't really grasp the designs of the Chambers in my memory, like if I were to get OOB I would have to know which part of the area is next to that.
As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to "skill" in FPS's, it depends a lot more on your knowledge of the level you're in than your actual skill.

Do you know the level better? In that case, it's far easier to use the environment to your advantage - and in games like what Valve makes, that can be a huge advantage or disadvantage.
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Also, I have a problem. Whenever I look at a portal, I lag. Am I the only one here that has this problem?

I had this on my old computer - What Source does with portals is create a dynamic camera object near the other portal, and in lots of cases these can make the game lag quite a bit. Try turning down the Portal Depth option (that's what it's called IIRC), it can really help with rendering.

Also, Valve's uploaded gameplay footage of (presumably) all of the new stuff to appear in Portal 2, from E3. Here they are (in order of presentation/release):

Excursion Funnel

"Excursion Funnels are part of an investigation into how well test subjects can solve problems while traveling through a churning funnel of liquid asbestos. Results so far have been highly informative: They cannot."

Aerial Faith Plate

"Aerial Faith Plates are part of a larger trust experiment designed to help the Enrichment Center discover whether the capacity for trust is effected by being catapulted into space."

Thermal Discouragement Beam

"CONFIDENTIAL: If permission to look at the diagram has been granted, please do so now, unless the box labeled 'DO NOT LOOK AT DIAGRAM' on the 'Diagrams Forms Sanction' form you should have received from your superior is checked, in which case you should remain at your workstation not looking at the diagram until such time as you are instructed by your superior to discontinue not looking at it."

Pneumatic Diversity Vent

No info boxes in tiny text on this one.

Repulsion Gel

"Aperture's second attempt at a dietetic pudding substitute resulted in Repulsion Gel, a much sweeter, slightly less non-toxic form of fiberglass insulation that cause subsequently-ingested food items to bounce off the lining of the dieter's distended stomach, and out his or her mouth.

For Various Reasons, this was also pulled from the shelves."

(I'm assuming this was to be after Propulsion Gel at E3, but for some reason it wasn't)

Propulsion Gel

"Designed as a Diet Aid and marketed under the name 'Propulsion Pudding', this sweet, largely non-toxic liquid form of fiberglass insulation increased the velocity of any food that followed it through the digestive tract, leaving the body no time to absorb calories.

Propulsion Pudding was pulled from the shelves when it was discovered that digestion plays several crucial roles in the eating process, such as breaking food down into small, manageable chunks before it is violently expelled from the human body."

Please don't rage at me for writing those paragraphs word-for-word. :lol:

Other Portal 2 videos:

Meet Wheatley

Video of presumable an early chapter in the game, with Wheatley as Chell's companion.

Portal 2 Teaser Trailer

Teaser from E3. Not much else to say. :lol:

Portal is Free (Well, it was)

Video released by Valv- I MEAN Aperture Science - when Portal was free on Steam due to its launch on Mac.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:06 am

/me hates the 2011 release date
she/her | Sayori#2285
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 am

Heres some gameplay footage from E3 for Portal 2.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Awesome.

Also, you can post your opinion on weather 'the cake is a lie'. I think the cake is a lie because although the cake exists, GLaDoS knows that you are never going to get it.
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 am

Well, she lied and tried to murder you in a 4000+kelvin fire after she promised you cake.

So, yes, it is a lie.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:11 am

The cake exists, so the cake itself isn't a lie.

GLaDOS' claims of you getting any of it, on the other hand, are outright fabrications. :wink: :lol:

EDIT:
ben-09 wrote:Heres some gameplay footage from E3 for Portal 2.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Awesome.

Also, you can post your opinion on weather 'the cake is a lie'. I think the cake is a lie because although the cake exists, GLaDoS knows that you are never going to get it.
I already posted all of the E3 stuff above - the compiled videos of it on YouTube are just low-quality camera recordings with placeholder sound effects and some guy talking over it. :wink:
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:08 am

Qloof234 wrote:My point is that I can finish Chamber 11 just a second less than him and I don't use any inherent exploits in Source - All I use are my reflexes and my ability to think with portals. :wink:
First of all, if you use the challenge timing, the challenge timing starts when the elevator opens. YouTube seconds start BEFORE the elevator opens.

Second, even if you actually include those two seconds, even then -- no you can't.

Watch his OLD (non-OOB) video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJ2s-apSZs

Chamber 11 in 12 seconds flat, YouTube timing. No ABH.

The reason he seems to be a second slower in his speedrun is because he goes OoB to finish inside the exit elevator for chamber 12. In other words, chamber 12 is completely skipped. His finish point is later than yours and it takes a few seconds to get there. Look when he gets near the chamber 11 elevator and you'll see he's there in seven seconds. Add one second to make up for the differences in timing between two YouTube videos. As evident in the older video, from that point he can get to the chamber 11 elevator in two seconds. So his time would've been 10 seconds. He just spends three seconds more to skip chamber 12.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Qloof234 wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote:I'm not thinking with Portals much. Sure, I beat the game, but I can't really grasp the designs of the Chambers in my memory, like if I were to get OOB I would have to know which part of the area is next to that.
As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to "skill" in FPS's, it depends a lot more on your knowledge of the level you're in than your actual skill.

Do you know the level better? In that case, it's far easier to use the environment to your advantage - and in games like what Valve makes, that can be a huge advantage or disadvantage.
Actually, what I meant was that I'm good at memorizing video game environments, but like if you're trying to complete at level fast by glitching OOB you REALLY have to know which rooms are where.
Qloof wrote:
MyNameIsKooky wrote: Also, I have a problem. Whenever I look at a portal, I lag. Am I the only one here that has this problem?

I had this on my old computer - What Source does with portals is create a dynamic camera object near the other portal, and in lots of cases these can make the game lag quite a bit. Try turning down the Portal Depth option (that's what it's called IIRC), it can really help with rendering.
I turned it down to 1 and it still lagged. I turned it down to 0 and it didn't lag at all, but I couldn't see through the Portal which doesn't help in most situations. :|
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
Qloof234 wrote:My point is that I can finish Chamber 11 just a second less than him and I don't use any inherent exploits in Source - All I use are my reflexes and my ability to think with portals. :wink:
First of all, if you use the challenge timing, the challenge timing starts when the elevator opens. YouTube seconds start BEFORE the elevator opens.

Second, even if you actually include those two seconds, even then -- no you can't.

Watch his OLD (non-OOB) video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytJ2s-apSZs

Chamber 11 in 12 seconds flat, YouTube timing. No ABH.

The reason he seems to be a second slower in his speedrun is because he goes OoB to finish inside the exit elevator for chamber 12. In other words, chamber 12 is completely skipped. His finish point is later than yours and it takes a few seconds to get there. Look when he gets near the chamber 11 elevator and you'll see he's there in seven seconds. Add one second to make up for the differences in timing between two YouTube videos. As evident in the older video, from that point he can get to the chamber 11 elevator in two seconds. So his time would've been 10 seconds. He just spends three seconds more to skip chamber 12.
I'm still not using any exploits in my run, though. :P *shot*

I'd record it and put it on YouTube but I really need to practice with it.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm still not using any exploits in my run, though. :P *shot*
You're still not better than him. :P :P :P *shot*

And his old run for this chamber (the "in 12 seconds flat" one) does not use any exploits either.

You do still have a point though -- in a puzzle game like Portal, exploitless runs are still interesting to see. In general, however, speed runs use any glitch that can help them -- and that's exactly what they should do.
I'd record it and put it on YouTube but I really need to practice with it.
Don't worry, I believe you. (but you're still not better than him-*shot*)
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:01 pm

I really want to play but it just crashes on me.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

The Device Has Been Modified v2

epic song for an epic game. :P
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Okay, I just tried the OoB glitch right now myself, and you know what? I call foul on his video - the moment you're outside the level, the game registers you as being in a solid object, ergo you can't move at all. The only way you'd be able to is via cheating. :|

Unless there's some sort of evidence towards being able to move, I'm going to have to say I don't consider that run of his as legit.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:55 pm

You can fall (no other movement) if you're near a portal. Recheck his routes once more, he is always near a portal when he's moving OoB. At some point in the run during the escape chambers (I forgot exactly where) he actually uses this to his advantage.

That's one thing.

The other is that even if you couldn't move at all when OoB, even when near a portal... this was a 2008 update to the Source engine. He could use a backup of an older version and according to the Speed Demos Archive rules it would also be legit.

In fact, Valve did this earlier but rolled back and forth several times before eventually deciding it's good the way it currently is.

Take a look at this older video, especially the description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ROan3R7W-g

Not all of the routes are "current" but this video shows that he knows about that pesky update and works around it or uses it to his advantage.

Belive me, I had to read a lot of stuff about Portal glitches just to be able to understand what he does... though sometimes I still find it really hard to follow, it's just so damn fast... but at least if I can follow it, I can understand it.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:10 am

I found a glitch.

If you get into the cake room, and put the companion cube on the cake, the credits never start. It's impossible to fix once you kill GLaDOS.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:25 am

~xpr'd~ wrote:I found a glitch.

If you get into the cake room, and put the companion cube on the cake, the credits never start. It's impossible to fix once you kill GLaDOS.
He discusses this in his "fade to white argument" video. The video is about timing issues and how to define the end of a Portal speed run.
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 am

Okay, Chamber 11. It's actually really easy to do the OoB glitch there.

After getting to the other side of the blast door (after upgrading Portal Gun), look at the corner to the right of it. It's very simple to fire a portal through the corner there to the other side. You can even glitch into the observation room this way. :lol:

Case in point (note: large image is large):

ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:52 am

I can't get the seam glitch to work. :|
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 am

ben-09 wrote:I can't get the seam glitch to work. :|
It's actually really hard, that's why he only uses it once throughout the run, in a moment where it doesn't matter if he loses time because of the GLaDOS speech.
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Woo, now I managed to get my Portal to run a bit faster by lowering the DirectX level. :)
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Muzozavr wrote:
ben-09 wrote:I can't get the seam glitch to work. :|
It's actually really hard, that's why he only uses it once throughout the run, in a moment where it doesn't matter if he loses time because of the GLaDOS speech.
Yeah, the Seam glitch is a pain. I got it by accident on one chamber... I think it was 15? Can't remember.

The OoB glitch is simple depending on what chamber you're at, on the other hand.