What games did you play when you were very young?

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

What games did you play when you were very young?

Post by TheoX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 am

Besides Wonderland, which may apply to a few forumers.

I played a game called "Top Hat Willy" on the Commodore Amiga. That is the oldest game that I can really remember liking.

I grew up with a macintosh and played the games Marathon, Descent, and ShadowWraith a lot. I can't play too many of them right now, but I'm gonna figure out a way eventually.

I want to hear about people's nostalgic games, and see if any of ours are the same! :)
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Currently making synth music as treehann
I make 2d games too at: treehann.itch.io
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
MyNameIsKooky
Rainbow Spirit Master

Post by MyNameIsKooky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 am

I had a Dreamcast and I played this tank game called Wild Metal. It's reception is mostly negative, but I like it somehow because it was one of my first games.

About 5 years ago, I had this awesome online game called ThinkTanks that I played for a good 3 years. You could host your own custom-made maps and I had lots of awesome friends. Now those friends and my map-making skills are gone. I wish I could go back and play it again...
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 am

I never played Wild Metal, but the people who made Think Tanks also made Orbz, a game I used to play all the time. Now almost no one plays it anymore, and my mapmaking skills for that are *also* gone. :lol:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
My old sig-bar image broke but I'm still thanking Pauline and Janet forever for their art!
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:26 am

Excuse me for basically cramming my past in a big mess with a disjointed order.

Jazz Jackrabbit was the first platformer game I've ever played. Ever. Of course back then I didn't get very far, even on easy mode, but I did remember the graphics, the awesome music, it was fun running around in that game... unfortunately, my memories of it were based on the godly episode 1 and (to a somewhat lesser extent but still godly) episode 2. The rest of them proved to be hideously annoying to play thanks to the combination of low resolution and level design that wasn't fit for it, with enemies positioned in stunningly unfair ways. It would be fine if the game decided to be IWBTG Lite, but then it didn't have enough balls to go all the way, so it stayed "inbetween" and that between is not fun. I trudged my way through most of the remaining levels, though the game did manage to end on a high note in episode 6 with a ridiculously awesome final boss, but that's about it. I had the CD-only bonus episode, but never played them.

The bonus stages of the game were in a separate episode Z in CD version, the only CD-only episode I played. When your bonus stages are more fun to play than the main game, your main game has problems.

The Dizzy games, however, were worth their memories. The PC versions of Fantasy World Dizzy, Magicland Dizzy and Prince of the Yolkfolk. I actually managed to beat that last one after reading a few hints (seriously, how is ANYONE supposed to figure out that troll puzzle?) though for the longest time (a year and a half) I was stumped on the silliest thing ever (a cherry that's in plain view, but I just couldn't figure out how to get it)

I did beat Fantasy World Dizzy after using an infinite lives cheat code. I tried playing fairly and I would be actually able to DO that for the most part, but giving the sleeping potion to the dragon... ow. It's impossible, seriously. The dragon kills you way too often way too fast. You're likely to blow dozens of lives just to get close enough to that dragon.

Also I remember some flash game where you collected red squares and avoided black ones... or vice-versa I can't remember.

Also, Supaplex. My father had a guest come to him and that guest gave me that game. I've spent silly amounts of time at it. I did eventually beat all of the levels, though. Gotta count for something. It's basically a Boulder Dash clone, but much better. 111 levels!

Also: Heretic and Duke Nukem 3D. Though my version of Duke Nukem cut out all the quotes. Still very fun games to play. I didn't know how to strafe, though, so I got bored of them pretty fast.

Then there's Diablo 1... oh man, that was the best of the best. Truly worth its memories, one of the best damn games I've ever played. Most of the music was cut out, but hive/abyss remained, so this was also my first exposure to creepy dark ambient music, back then it scared the hell out of me. Then I discovered that the REAL version had more music and now this is one of my favorite soundtracks. Now you have to do very well in order to actually SCARE me with music. (Higurashi OSTs say "hi")

Then back when I was even younger, there was this one awesome game, The Incredible Machine. Oh wow. I couldn't get very far in it, but daaaaaaamn it was awesome. It's a game where they give you a complex Rube Golberg machine with missing parts and then you had to fill them in. It's really hard, but really good.

There was the DOS version of Asteroids someone gave me. Nice game, but got boring fast.

There also was a "corner" game I'm not gonna bother explaining (nice simulation of a board game) then something I don't remember, then Micemen. Micemen is a truly original game and it's a shame to see no successors.

Later on, there was U-95, "Happy Birthday" (two games you probably don't know and never will: a well-made, but frustratingly difficult shmup with "don't touch the walls" in full force and a simple adventure game which I was stuck on for far too long) and the first two Legend of Kyrandia games. Sadly I was too stupid to understand the idea behind it, and basically played the whole game with a walkthrough in hand. I still enjoyed the ride, though. I tried Kyrandia 3 a lot later, but it didn't feel quite as good.

Yes, this is all PC.
Rest in peace, Kym. I hardly knew ya.
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am

SimCity 2000 and its Urban Renewal Kit. I liked the Urban Renewal Kit better than the actual game because it allowed me to freely express the creativity that I no longer have. This game is legally available as abandon-ware (i.e. not copyrighted) for DOSBox.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. This was awesome - a game where you build an amusement park, with lots of "attractions" to choose from and lots of landforms to build on. There was even an added attraction pack. Too bad it refuses to work on my new computer. Not sure about legal availability for DOSBox.
Bumpy - the platformer that's literally nowhere to be found. I remember next to nothing from this, except that it was a platformer about some orange ball guy who moves really fast and jumps really high. Also, I remember that the password for one of the levels was ISLAND, and if I recall correctly it was level 4.
The Oregon Trail. I don't remember much about this one either, only that it was about the migration from Missouri to Oregon. Not sure about legal availability for DOSBox.
Treasure Mathstorm. Ever since I was 2, math was one of my favorite subjects. This game improved both my English and my arithmetic skills. Not sure about legal availability for DOSBox.
Rodger Dodger. A part of the After Dark "screensaver" collection, which sadly no longer works on any computer except for the really, really, really, really, really, really old ones. The controllable character was a purple... thing, and it had to solve 20-something maze/puzzle levels. The game had spinnable gates, which were basically parts of cross-shaped gates that the player could spin. There was a large variety of levels and monsters. It was a really fun and quite addictive game, and it's a shame that it's no longer playable at all.
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Basically ALL RCT series, Talesrunner, Nanaimo (not the city), and some random games I downloaded from Reflexive/BFG.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Bumpy - the platformer that's literally nowhere to be found. I remember next to nothing from this, except that it was a platformer about some orange ball guy who moves really fast and jumps really high. Also, I remember that the password for one of the levels was ISLAND, and if I recall correctly it was level 4.
After a bit of googling, could this be Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy?
Rest in peace, Marinus. A bright star, you were ahead of me on my own tracks of thought. I miss you.
Blast!10
Rainbow Star

Post by Blast!10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Could be related... though I definitely remember that there was no level select screen. There was a password system instead.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Blast!10 wrote:Could be related... though I definitely remember that there was no level select screen. There was a password system instead.
Read the review on Abandonia again:
Thank God someone remembered to set a password for each world you enter (that means if you lose all your lives, just enter the password and you will find yourself again alive on the same world you were playing). I think without this option the game is actually impossible to finish.
Not definitely the same game, but probably the same game. At least my weak google skills say so.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Muzozavr wrote:The Dizzy games
I wish I had played those games, though I heard from many about how hard they were! I forget if I ever showed you this Muzo, but have you played Spuds Quest? It's a great game in the vein of the Dizzy series.
Muzozavr wrote:Also: Heretic and Duke Nukem 3D. Though my version of Duke Nukem cut out all the quotes. Still very fun games to play. I didn't know how to strafe, though, so I got bored of them pretty fast.
Heretic looks cool, hadn't even heard of it until recently. I played DOOM a lot when I was younger. Oh man, what a blast that game is. And S-C-A-R-Y.

Your version of Duke Nukem 3D cut out the quotes??? That kinda sucks, but I do agree the gameplay was really fun. I never beat it, due to the bosses being really hard and scaring the crap out of me.
Muzozavr wrote:Then there's Diablo 1... oh man, that was the best of the best. Truly worth its memories, one of the best damn games I've ever played. Most of the music was cut out, but hive/abyss remained, so this was also my first exposure to creepy dark ambient music, back then it scared the hell out of me. Then I discovered that the REAL version had more music and now this is one of my favorite soundtracks. Now you have to do very well in order to actually SCARE me with music. (Higurashi OSTs say "hi")
How come your Diablo had the music cut out? The above-ground theme is still one of my favorite ambient video game tracks, it is so beautiful.

Also, speaking of it being creepy, remember "Fresh Meat"? :twisted:
Muzozavr wrote:Then back when I was even younger, there was this one awesome game, The Incredible Machine. Oh wow. I couldn't get very far in it, but daaaaaaamn it was awesome. It's a game where they give you a complex Rube Golberg machine with missing parts and then you had to fill them in. It's really hard, but really good.
I had "The Even More Incredible Machine" on my Mac, and my sister and I made like a million levels for that. It's such a fun series.
Blast!10 wrote:SimCity 2000

I love Sim City 2000! I never had the expansion, but the game always thrilled me. I would always cheat in some way though. :wink:
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 pm

TheoX wrote:
Muzozavr wrote:The Dizzy games
I wish I had played those games, though I heard from many about how hard they were! I forget if I ever showed you this Muzo, but have you played Spuds Quest? It's a great game in the vein of the Dizzy series.
I've heard about Spuds Quest. For no apparent reason it refuses to run on my PC.
Muzozavr wrote:Also: Heretic and Duke Nukem 3D. Though my version of Duke Nukem cut out all the quotes. Still very fun games to play. I didn't know how to strafe, though, so I got bored of them pretty fast.
Heretic looks cool, hadn't even heard of it until recently. I played DOOM a lot when I was younger. Oh man, what a blast that game is. And S-C-A-R-Y.
Well, Heretic wasn't that scary to me back then. It was nearly impossible though, because it was so damn hard to figure out where to go and I didn't know how to strafe. I don't know how would I react to DOOM back then, but playing it now it wasn't so scary either... pretty hard, though.

Your version of Duke Nukem 3D cut out the quotes??? That kinda sucks, but I do agree the gameplay was really fun. I never beat it, due to the bosses being really hard and scaring the crap out of me.
I'm deeply ashamed to say that I've never gotten anywhere NEAR the bosses. In the first episode I got to the level "Death Row" (third level) couldn't find a critical keycard, then got stuck. On other episodes I haven't really tried as much. In fact, replaying this game recently I STILL cannot find that damn keycard. :oops:

As for the quotes, it was a Russian pirate version given to me by a friend. Russians are awesome at cracking, but when they try to save space, their "cuts" can be pretty atrocious. It was my first taste of the game, so I didn't even KNOW it had quotes.

Muzozavr wrote:Then there's Diablo 1... oh man, that was the best of the best. Truly worth its memories, one of the best damn games I've ever played. Most of the music was cut out, but hive/abyss remained, so this was also my first exposure to creepy dark ambient music, back then it scared the hell out of me. Then I discovered that the REAL version had more music and now this is one of my favorite soundtracks. Now you have to do very well in order to actually SCARE me with music. (Higurashi OSTs say "hi")
How come your Diablo had the music cut out?
Russian pirates. :lol:
The above-ground theme is still one of my favorite ambient video game tracks, it is so beautiful.
TRISTRAM THEME OMG!!! YES!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Also, speaking of it being creepy, remember "Fresh Meat"? :twisted:
Unfortunately, since it was also a version translated into Russian and they had no voice actors... all the voices were cut. Though in this case I think it actually works just as well, though in a different way.

The Butcher's opening taunt immediately establishes him as a big threat, suspenseful music plays, it makes you fear the unknown.

In my version, he was just another monster. Unsurprisingly, I tried to kill him without preparing -- with a warrior. What I experienced was an encounter with an UNKILLABLE NIGHTMARE. You can't harm him, you can't outrun him, you can't put a town portal fast enough (well you can, but I sucked at the game back then) and all you can do is hope you can find the stairs. And if he catches you, you're NOT getting away (due to stunlock) and what really GOT me was the attacking speed. Those fast, merciless jabs... wow. Of course now I know that level-grinding makes short work of him, and even without that I know all of the AI problems that can be exploited, but back then I didn't know that.

Still, this is the only moment when the lack of voicing does not weaken the impact. The voices shouldn't have been cut.

In Diablo: Hellfire (I forgot to add I had that instead of regular Diablo) there was the hive and the abyss. They were the only locations to even have music. When I first entered the hive and heard the opening chords and then the first taunt (still no voicing) appeared... my god if the composers of the music wanted to frighten children, they succeeded many times over. :lol:

Replaying the game, "fresh meat" still got me a little bit, even though I was much older and knew how to defeat The Butcher pretty much effortlessly. Just a small testament as to how good Diablo's voice acting was. And still is.
~xpr'd~
Rainbow Star

Post by ~xpr'd~ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 pm

When I was very young... oh my.

The only games I played were like "Putt-Putt at the Moon" and stuff.
Last edited by ~xpr'd~ on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
she/her | Sayori#2285
Sammy_Bro
Rainbow Star

Post by Sammy_Bro » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 pm

I have Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon!
:D
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 pm

I played two Mac games. Both I have forgotten the name of, but I remember what it basically was about. The first was a Dinosaur game. The plot is that Evil dinosaurs steal the good dinosaurs' eggs. They missed one, though. It hatched and was a Pterosaur and it wanted to get the eggs back. You play as the Pterosaur and avoid bad dinosaurs and trees and collect eggs and take them to some portal(or something). Once in a while you got a power and could shoot a couple energy balls at bad Dinosaurs.

In the second one you played as a flying elephant. You collect some stuff to get score, lives and health. You avoid birds always. If you take to long to complete the level then you stop flying, fall to the ground, curl up in a ball and start ROLLING toward the end. Once in a while you could find a leaf filled with water. This refilled your trunk. You use your trunk to shoot water at birds, making them lose health.. If you collected enough you turn into a mammoth that can shoot ice pellets that go a farther distance and make creatures lose more health. If you get enough AFTER you turn into a mammoth you turn into an Ice elephant that shoots ice pellets in all directions. Above that I do not know. I've only gotten to a Ice elephant a few times.
To Shorty, who was immortalized in an adventure.
To Marinus, who was my community older brother.
To Janet, who I will remember every time I wear a toque.

May these lost Wonderlanders find true adventure beyond us.
Discord: LittleZbot#3936
Nobody
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Nobody » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 pm

I never had Moon Putty, is it like Gorilla Glue? *shot*
i should change my signature to be rude to people who hate pictures of valves
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Most things on N64. That's when I was really young. Around 4. Which is odd, that's a third of my age now.

*grabs N64 games from shelf nearby*

They're in no order.

Donkey Kong 64.
Super Mario 64.
The Legend Of Zelda Majora's Mask.
Mario Kart 64.
The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time.

I have more. But most of them I barely played.
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 am

I had Zelda Oot and Donkey Kong 64, loved both of them, especially Zelda. Those games are so grand and epic.

Muzo (no quotes this time) - when my sister played Diablo I told her to go into the Butcher room and she screamed. xD
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
ben-09
Rainbow Master

Post by ben-09 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 am

~xpr'd~ wrote:When I was very young... oh my.

The only games I played were like "Putt-Putt at the Moon" and stuff.
Yeah, I used to play Putt-Putt games. I didn't do that much gaming at all when I was young.
Generation 59: Community experiment. The first time you see this, take the generation # and add 1. Put in your signature.
Muzozavr
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by Muzozavr » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 am

when my sister played Diablo I told her to go into the Butcher room and she screamed. xD
Since it was with music AND voice I can understand it! :lol:
boywhoflies
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by boywhoflies » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 pm

I played Super Mario Sunshine when I was 5 and up.I was ok at it, and I dident play it much since it belonged to my grandma, not me.
Mr. Robot never dies! :D

Chatroom
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 pm

boywhoflies wrote:I played Super Mario Sunshine when I was 5 and up.I was ok at it, and I dident play it much since it belonged to my grandma, not me.
I want that.

boywhoflies
Rainbow Spirit Chaser

Post by boywhoflies » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:00 pm

LittleZbot wrote:
boywhoflies wrote:I played Super Mario Sunshine when I was 5 and up.I was ok at it, and I dident play it much since it belonged to my grandma, not me.
I want that.
They arent made anymore, but you may be amble to get a copy off ebay. :wink:
Mr. Robot never dies! :D

Chatroom
TheoX
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by TheoX » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 am

LittleZbot wrote:[The game] was a Dinosaur game. The plot is that Evil dinosaurs steal the good dinosaurs' eggs. They missed one, though. It hatched and was a Pterosaur and it wanted to get the eggs back. You play as the Pterosaur and avoid bad dinosaurs and trees and collect eggs and take them to some portal(or something). Once in a while you got a power and could shoot a couple energy balls at bad Dinosaurs.
I believe the game you are talking about is called Nanosaur. It was on our macs at school. (Remember when all the elementary schools had imacs?) I enjoyed that game, but I liked Bugdom more (made by the same company).
(✿ ◕ᗜ◕)━♫.*・。゚
LittleZbot
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by LittleZbot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:08 am

TheoX wrote:
LittleZbot wrote:[The game] was a Dinosaur game. The plot is that Evil dinosaurs steal the good dinosaurs' eggs. They missed one, though. It hatched and was a Pterosaur and it wanted to get the eggs back. You play as the Pterosaur and avoid bad dinosaurs and trees and collect eggs and take them to some portal(or something). Once in a while you got a power and could shoot a couple energy balls at bad Dinosaurs.
I believe the game you are talking about is called Nanosaur. It was on our macs at school. (Remember when all the elementary schools had imacs?) I enjoyed that game, but I liked Bugdom more (made by the same company).
*searches for Nanosaur and wikipedia*

EDIT: Actually, it is Nanosaur 2.