Debates and such including those of the rules, etc.

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Debates and such including those of the rules, etc.

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:24 am

Title.
Last edited by DEEMAN223344 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^_^
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by ^_^ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:23 am

Um? What?
If you can look at my avatar for 19 minutes, without closing your eyes, you must be great.
DEEMAN223344
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by DEEMAN223344 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:37 pm

This is for debates and such as I'm sick of them being scattered around the Off-Topic section.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Well, let's have a good debate about it. 8)

Deeman, tell me, what's wrong with debates, except that you don't like them?
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Marinus wrote:Well, let's have a good debate about it.

Deeman, tell me, what's wrong with debates, except that you don't like them?
Deeman223344 never said he or she hated debates. He or she said that he or she hated debates being scattered around the Off-topic Discussions forum.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi BB. I had missed you on the forum for a little while and I'm glad you're back. :D

About what Deeman said in this topic; I think you're right, but if it's about both topics: This one and the moderator-topic, It seems to me that he doesn't like debates at all.

Besides, that wasn't my question. My question was, what's wrong with it, but to be honest, I don't expect a clear answer from Deeman, and neither from you, because it seems to me that you like debates as much as I do. :D
billy bob
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by billy bob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Marinus wrote:Besides, that wasn't my question. My question was, what's wrong with it, but to be honest, I don't expect a clear answer from Deeman223344, and neither from you, because it seems to me that you like debates as much as I do.
I sort of like debates, but to be honest I know I'll never be able to change people's opinion. However, I do not like off-topic debates because it is violating the rules. We still don't have proof that Patrick does not mind if there is an off-topic debate if the real reason the topic exists has stopped. All we have is that rule he made which says it is not allowed. If Patrick did visit those off-topic debate topics and thinks it is OK then why didn't he reply when I said on Thar be internationals pirate speakings day "I'd like it if Patrick could say what he or she thinks."?
Qloof234
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Qloof234 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Here's the thing, though - There are debates that are bad and should be deleted (flamewars, offensive stuff, etc.), and there are more intelligent ones that are fine unless they get out of hand.

I enjoy having an intelligent debate about something, as long as things stay reasonable (which they usually do).

When a debate's off-topic, then a new topic should be made for it, but as long as it's staying on the original topic, it's fine to keep it in the original thread as well.

This thread's never going to get off the ground because debates that are about the original topic stay in the original topic.
Marinus
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Marinus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:35 pm

BB wrote: I know I'll never be able to change people's opinion.
I wouldn't be that sure if I was you. I think you have a good brain / bright mind (not sure if this is correct English, but I hope it's clear) and if you have a clear opinion about something, and give a good reason for that, it would be possible that the person you're talking with would change a little bit. Everyone changes.

And about the off-topic debate in the pirate talking: Please don't worry about that, because it's very probable that Patrick doesn't mind about it. Otherwise he would have said something about it. Like I said before: The on/off-topic rule is just to avoid annoyance when there are two or more different talkings in one topic. Believe it or not.

Qloof as far as I understand, I agree with everything in your last post here.