Gmail anyone?

Archive of the first decade of Off Topic Posts
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Gmail anyone?

Post by Kaboom! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:00 pm

Hello Wonderlanders,

You must be wondering what this gmail all about, it's google mail http://gmail.google.com - an outstanding FREE e-mail service: 2000 MB of free storage and growing by the second, very practical and safe - I have it for some months now.

However it only works with invitations, only people who already have an account can invite others to use it, and I still have 46 invitations left and I was wondering if anyone would like to have gmail as well. When you have yours you will be given 50 invitations after some days as well.

If you are interested in having one please PM me your e-mail adress and I will send you an invitation. :D :D
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:55 pm

I've tried sending 2 pms, and they are not being sent (see other forum message). Yes please to the G-mail, let me know if you need any info or if you can send it by PM.
Many thanks
Superterv
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:11 pm

No offense, Kaboom, but I am wondering why anyone would need/want 2000 MB of storage space?

My ISP provides 25MB and I have never even used 5MB.
I have 1 email account. That's all I need.

I would like to know the reason for needing that much storage space.

O/G :lol:
Superterv
Rainbow Master

Post by Superterv » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:14 pm

The reason I need such a large amount of space is that I have someone who sends me very large files to downloads (to study). My regular mailboxes only have 10 MB and I've had several emails from my ISP to say that my mailbox is full - even though I download everything many times a day. So there you go - thats why I need G-mail.
Superterv
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:17 pm

Some people recieve many e-mails a day, with lots of stuff attached like films, photos and many other things - thesee will occupy lots of storage - altough I have to agree with you, 2000 MB is kinda unecessary, personally I never used more than 2%!! :shock: I just wondered that some people, like superterv would need such big space for their emails. :D
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:29 pm

I know the video clips take a lot of space....
I tell my friends not to send me that stuff, since what I had gotten was usually junk anyway :lol:
I am usually between 1% and 2% as well.

Now I know. :lol: :lol:
Thanks.

O/G
rmelin13
Rainbow Star

Post by rmelin13 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Yeah.... just think of how many custom levels could be saved with all
that extra space! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-- Roger
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:41 pm

I've got a question for you Kaboom.

If you need an invitation to open a Gmail account, how did the first person get one? There was no-one to invite him. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 3 email accounts. One that I use for getting emails from my banking and bill paying sites (secure sites). One that I use for when I need to enter an email address to get onto certain sites (not secure sites). And one that I use for everything else.

The reason for this is so that I only get spam from the one that I use when I have to provide an address.
Pauline
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:48 pm

I don't have a clue in how the first person got one, maybe it was open to all at start :?:

And btw if you are not sure about it feel free to use your "undercover" email adress you use for unsecure sites to get the invitation. :wink: You woudn't get any spam anyway but better safe than sorry. :shock: :P
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:52 pm

I have had the same email address/ISP for 9 years, since I first got on line. ATT has such a good filter system that I might get 5 junk mails in a week. Then, I can report those.
I use the same email for everything....but I am stingy giving it to a site when asked for it. I decide how important it is to me to give it. I know there is a little software program that will fill in for you so you don't have to give your own email...
I have 1 credit card for Internet shopping only.

O/G :lol:
majic1
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by majic1 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:54 pm

My ISP provides 2GB of space - I never even get close to 1% - since I live in the sticks, and high speed is still not available to me, if I had to receive files that were 10MB, I'd be waiting all day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My son occasionally has some large files he sends me, but he provides me with a link to download them - that way I don't have to go through my sloooooooooooooooww internet connection. :shock:
If you need an invitation to open a Gmail account, how did the first person get one? There was no-one to invite him.
I loved this question, Popo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Majicaleetarina
ol'gramma
Rainbow Star

Post by ol'gramma » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:58 pm

The first person was the CEO :lol: :lol:

O/G
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:58 pm

There is an easy way to see who's spamming you when you give away your email to someone:
Simple create a new e-mail adress and don't tell it to anyone and give it to that site you suspect. If you get spam within a week or so, then that means they're selling away your e-mail to others. :)

This can be useful, I have tryed this some months ago with a new email and uh... that inbox has 103 unread 100% PURE SPAM messages!! Grr! :evil:
popo
Rainbow AllStar

Post by popo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:02 pm

I get loads of spam on my 'undercover' :lol: email address, but it doesn't matter cos there is a very good spam filter on it. Too good in fact, sometimes proper emails like newsletters have got tagged as spam.

That's why I'm glad I have the one for my secure sites, then I know they won't be tagged as spam cos I don't have the filter on for that one.
Pauline
Kaboom!
Rainbow Star

Post by Kaboom! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:04 pm

Btw I forgot to mention, Google also has a great spam filter, same happens to me - some other emails get stuck in their way to my inbox, also some messages with *.exe attachements that were sent to me had never shown up. :shock: :wink: