CONTEST: Three Lone Flowers Voting [10/05/2020–12/16/2020]

Post, Download, and Discuss Custom Adventures.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

CONTEST: Three Lone Flowers Voting [10/05/2020–12/16/2020]

Post by Jutomi » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:28 pm

NOTE: Voting has technically ended, although late voting is welcome because of the low voter turnout.

Hello again! The results are in from the submission round, and now it's time to vote!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please use Wonderplus as some contest submissions utilize elements not found in the vanilla editor.
edit: please let me know of any technical issues as well.

Scoreboard:
Samuel - 3
Yot Yot5 - 3
Ash - 6
Wonderman109 - 0
Cookie - 4
Jutomi - 5

Disclaimer: Contestants organized by time of entry; moved self to last because why not

Since we have enough people, we'll be doing a ranked voting system. "What?" That's right. Instead of giving one point to your favorite adventure,
you'll be awarding 3 points to your favorite adventure — and 2 for your second, and 1 for your third. :)

To vote: Simply post on this thread! (Or DM/discord me, but preferably votes would be public. :P)
I also figured it probably best to prohibit voting for yourself in any rank. It makes moral life choices and voter fraud that much less an issue.

Each of the adventure files are listed below. Note: Ash's entry was a winrar that I decompiled to rename the adventure file and recompiled into a zip file.
The reason for the decompiling: Organization purposes. The reason for the .rar/.zip: There're level textures. :P

Hope everyone has fun! I certainly will. :)

Video Solutions:

Wonderman109's
Cookie's
Ash's
Mine (though it should be noted there's technically an alternate, much more infuriating variant to the first half)
Samuel's (Also Dialogue 1, Dialogue 2 and Bonus Footage)
Yotyot's:Yotyot's video (mind the fire not present in the contest version; had a skippable alternative solution that was still difficult to find)
Ash's alternate solution to Yot Yot's (which I recorded)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jutomi on Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Your only little stinker that's absolutely NOT a z-bot by this name,
Jutomi~ :mrgreen:

Also, if you want to see my level list, here it is! :D
(Also: List of Hubs, WA Manual)
Oh, and my YT wonderland channel. Forgot about that.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: CONTEST: Three Lone Flowers Voting [10/05/2020–11/01/2020]

Post by Jutomi » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Important update: I accidentally added the wrong version of Cookie's adventure because I had a big dumbo moment. Please redownload if you've downloaded already :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Alright, to the five people who downloaded the zip, please redownload again because something went wrong with Cookie's submission — again. And this one was not my fault. xD

rainbowmon
Rainbow Keeper

Post by rainbowmon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:59 pm

...Huh. I could've been certain that the Wonderplus features were incorporated into the main editor after it went open source...
Rainbowmon of the Care-Monic Spirits
Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:57 pm

rainbowmon wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:59 pm
...Huh. I could've been certain that the Wonderplus features were incorporated into the main editor after it went open source...
Same here?

I don't even remember if I have it.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:34 am

*shrugs*

Also going to try to not vote until I beat everyone's adventure. Unfortuantely I'm stuck on yot yot's and sammy_P's and am also aware my own is pretty difficult, so uh, I might extend the voting period xD

Kamerson
Platinum Wonderlander

Post by Kamerson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm

I want to play and vote on these levels, but I haven't completed the WA trilogy yet and I don't want to spoil the new mechanics for myself on these levels. :stinkyconfused:
Hi, I'm Kamerson! I'm a pretty experienced puzzle gamer! Check out my Twitch channel where I have livestreams every Monday and Friday, sometimes playing the Wonderland games!

https://www.twitch.tv/kamerson
yot yot5
Rainbow SuperStar

Post by yot yot5 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:05 pm

Looks like I'll be the first to vote!

1 point: A Level, b/w Three Flower Specimens by Samuel
An elegant magic puzzle accompanied by dozens of interchanges of hilarious dialogue.

2 points: Flower Power of Three by Jutomi
At first glance it seems like the three flowers exist in an unstable equilibrium that can't be modified too much, but appearances can be deceiving! The flowers (and the chomper) get flashed and re-flashed, hold down buttons, shoot each other, melt each other, and get altogether shuffled around in what is probably the hardest adventure in the contest.

3 points: The Greenhouse Effect by Ash
The idea of giving the adventurer a set of one-use "flower spawning" items is just... incredible. This is easily the entry that utilised the contest theme in the most interesting way. And the puzzle design itself delivers on the premise; there are multiple flower combinations look plausible, but it takes a lot of effort to find one that works.

Also, while it isn't quite as funny as Samuel's entry, the dialogue still had me smiling.

I'd probably rank my entry on par with Jutomi's, but somehow it didn't feel fair to vote for myself (I actually kinda wish Jutomi hadn't allowed it). For one thing, I can't speak to the existence of alternate solutions. :oops:

Thanks to Jutomi for organising this contest! It's awesome to see that there are still people in this community willing to design adventures. :D
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Hey, don't sell yourself short, yot-yot: your submission's both incredibly challenging (imo) and my submission probably has an alternate solution in there somewhere. :rofl:
(in fact, there is at least half of a variant solution, but it's so hard to spot and more difficult to execute properly so I genuinely don't mind; it definitely is weird as heck though).

Sorry I haven't voted yet, I've been waiting to finish Samuel's and yot-yot's adventures. Both of those might take me some time, but I've got a few days off so I'll try to work them in. <:)

If anyone'd be alright uploading a video solution to any of their own adventures, or want someone else to record a solution for them, let me know, or DM me your solution. (I promise I won't look until after I solve the puzzle. :lol:)

As for the voting-for-yourself rule... hmm...

Yeah, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have allowed that. :rofl:

Well, seeing as nobody else has voted, I'll go ahead and remove that. Seems more fair that way, I agree. :)

Edit: Also, if anyone needs hints on any adventures, do please ask either here or in a DM (on forum). The more votes the better,
but it'd be even better if everyone's solved the adventures. While I get not wanting to get hints, it's still better to ask then to give up and vote not having finished the adventures (although you are permitted to do that). :)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Shoutout to Ash for pointing out my blatantly giving the wrong person points.

ab-47
Rainbow Star

Post by ab-47 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Finally solved the last entry an hour ago, I'll be voting for my favorites.

1 point: A Level, b/w Three Flower Specimens by Samuel
This is without a single doubt the best puzzle I have played in quite a long time, since the beginning of the year probably. The dialogue is funny, the level design was quite abstract, but my only issues were not actually using the flowers as part of the puzzles, it's all about dem flowers (which is one of the main factors I only gave this one point, I possibly would have given this 3 points if flowers weren't the focus here), and some of the ferns were placed in some weird spots hindering my view during my playthrough; nonetheless, this level left me in awe for quite a while! :D

2 points: Dreamy Shenanigans by Cookie
So the impressive thing is that Cookie managed to create this entry within a very limited time under the stress of his schoolwork (and me bugging him on an hourly basis about it :lol: :oops: ), and here he is being my second favorite for this contest! Solid usage of the three flowers, interesting dreamy scenery and the puzzles involving the turtles is my jam right there. 8)

3 points: Flower Power of Three by Jutomi
This was a bit tough to choose between Jutomi and Cookie since both entries had small problems given that Jutomi had 2 additional flashes and 1 flo that can be left unused, while cookie did not ENTIRELY use the flowers throughout the whole level. With that said, I decided to put Jutomi as my 1st choice because it's just mayhem. An. Absolute. Mayhem.
You rush to get the magic quickly, you move around the flowers and that chomper like crazy, this is just woooooooooooosh.

I ran out of things to say, Jutomi's entry is my favorite entry for this contest as it uses the three flowers effectively and insanely! :)

--=Additional thoughts=--

I've Got a Flower in My Pocket by Yot Yot 5
I was very excited to play a level designed by a person whom I'd consider one of the best WAE level designers ever, but the level left me in a state of confusion and I ended up pulling off a crazy alternative solution to barely solve the level. Another struggle was choosing between Yot Yot's entry V.s. Sammy_p's since Yot Yot used the three flowers in his puzzle. But still, I'm really glad I got to play this!

Wonderman's Entry
Well, that was a fun little puzzle, but the flowers were just there, so yeah. Thanks for contributing! :)

The Greenhouse Effect By Ash (me)
originally I was going thinking about putting myself second before Jutomi retracted the option to vote for yourself, which is better since it actually feels more fair for everyone.

That was really fun, thank you Jutomi for starting this! :mrgreen:
LEVEL LIS1
The Hidd3n Archive, Part Four: [33%, Paused]
The Hidden 4rchive, Part Three (Redeemer's Edition)
The Apocollab [0%, Confirmed, Planning]
Are Cookie and Ash Gay? [Cancelled]
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Alright, voting was really hard this time for me; I thoroughly enjoyed each and every entry for one reason or another (my own because I enjoyed making it :lol:)

1 Point to: Sammy_P

I have pretty much the exact same thoughts as Ash. Nothing is wrong with this puzzle, it's one of the best ones I've played in a long time (along with Ash's), and that sneaky little trick (the one that fooled me for so long, you know which one I'm talking about) was genius, and the dialogue amusing as all heck.

But, much the same with Ash's praise, I sing its faults. For sure hidden elements were a bit of a bafflebutt when it came to me realizing how to get those gems (and thus solve the puzzle), but that I could ignore if it weren't for the simple fact that this adventure didn't use the flowers in any way other than amusement purposes — which, if you ask me, sort of detracts from the point of this contest.

That said, nothing was explicitly against the rules — I've even specifically said that flowers may be used simply for dialogue purposes,
although I knew going forward with that that that (3 lone thats challenge) would be an issue for the creators and voters to decide.

Even with all that in mind, this was still a difficult decision to make. As I've told you three times now, and you're probably sick of me saying,
this would honestly make a better Uo puzzle than almost any of the actual Uo puzzles. :lol:

2 Points to: Cookie

Cookie, you actually used your flowers. [/lobbingsalt] jk jk
Seriously though, you did use your flowers in a very interesting way, and the rest of the puzzle was pretty darn solid. I still find it amusing that I solved the turtle thing without using the intended mechanisms. :lol:

Overall a really decent puzzle. The others were really good too, hence why I had trouble voting for second-place, but I think yours surpass the others just enough to warrant second-place in my books. :)

3 Points to: Ash

The only one I wasn't sure about giving points to was Ash. Amusing story, cute level design, excellent and flawless puzzles all glued together with a unique mechanic that I envy not coming up with for my own hub. :lol:

Absolutely deserving of 1st place without a single doubt in my mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other contest entries were good — yot yot's a very challenging puzzle I have yet to even begin to get a clue on, Wonderman109's the opposite end of the spectrum being a cute little reprieve from the madness in the other submissions. If I could, I'd probably have put Sammy's, and Yot Yot's in a tie (sorry Wonderman109).

In the end, it was difficult to rank these. Where one adventure might have lacked in one element (be it solvability, humor, flower relevance, brokenness of solution, etc.), it excelled in another. But despite yot yot's being the far more beautiful and having a deceptive sense of looking simple, it's not just difficult — it's downright dumbfounding, or perhaps "unstable" is another way to describe it. [99% sure half my hub adventures fall in this category]. It's absolutely a work of art, but I think I have to say that Samuel's was more "fun to solve", so to speak. Again, it was an extraordinarily difficult decision to make though, and I did enjoy everyone's adventures for at least one reason or another.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now an announcement: Voting will be pushed back to November 16th, simply so there's more time for people to vote.
That said, unless a rush of folks suddenly vote wildly differently from expected, I suspect at least one winner will be clear-cut far sooner than that. :)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Re: CONTEST: Three Lone Flowers Voting [10/05/2020–11/16/2020]

Post by Jutomi » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:35 pm

So, I forgot about this because my computer died. xD

Voting period has been extended to December 16th, exactly one month after the last end period and one week from now.

Hopefully we get some more votes in, even if nobody's completed every adventure. :)

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Re: CONTEST: Three Lone Flowers Voting [10/05/2020–12/16/2020]

Post by Wonderman109 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:03 am

Can't vote much because tbh I'm not smart enough or patient enough to solve any of them. :oops:
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 am

Yeah, we did kinda go hard at making some very tricky entries this time round. :lol:

Maybe next contest I'll have a "make it kid-friendly yet unique" theme. ;)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:25 am

Final day to vote! From this post, you have 24 hours to make your voice heard!

(Though I'll definitely take late submissions into consideration just because of how vote-deprived we are atm.)

If you ARE too busy rn because of school/work/whatever please let me know. I don't want a deadline to be the only reason you haven't voted.
(Although two months should've been more than enough.)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:46 am

OK. So. A week and a half passed and nobody's really voted, so uh... yeah! I guess the posted scores are the winners!

First place is Ash. (absolutely agree.)

Second place is me. (somehow.)

Third place is Cookie. (agree.)

I still don't feel like these are truly accurate given the small voter turnout, but... overall, I'll accept them. Except for me being second. xD

Thank you all for participating! Have a wonderful 2021 and uh, yeah, have fun playing these at any time, everyone. :)

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:49 am

Just noticed by PMs; yot yot got 3 points and nobody else was ranked. :P

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:18 am

So how does that change stuff?
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:56 pm

It technically doesn't... xD

At least not until I give prizes for every winner.

Just gotta think about what those prizes will be... "you had four months" hmm

Wonderman109
Rainbow MegaStar

Post by Wonderman109 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:14 am

Lol ok Jutomi, you keep us posted.
Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Wellh, no prize has been found yet. BUT!

There is a consolation prize for all the participants! ... and everyone else, I guess. :P

Video solutions have been uploaded! Only one I couldn't solve was yot yot's, but hopefully he's got one somewhere that I can link up in loo of my own. :stinkyhappy:

edit: They're linked in the original post. :P

Jutomi
Rainbow AllStar

Post by Jutomi » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:34 pm

Wow. It's been a long time since we last seen this one, eh? :lol:

Far future post: Linked Ash's alternate solution to yot yot's adventure :P

The prize is still nowhere to be found...