Sorry for the scare

Discuss the games (no level solutions or off-topic, please).

Moderators: ~xpr'd~, tyteen4a03, Stinky, Emerald141, Qloof234, jdl

Post Reply
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2587
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Sorry for the scare

Post by Midnight Synergy » Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 am

Hi folks,

sorry that the site was down a couple of days - as always, it just happened when I was also off email for a bit, so I didn't see message until just now. I think we're back in business though.

Best,
Patrick
ILoveWonderland
Rainbow Master
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by ILoveWonderland » Wed May 01, 2024 8:11 am

No worries - glad the forum's back up! :)
User avatar
nasko222
Rainbow Master
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by nasko222 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 am

Thank you!

Side note, week before the downtime i was getting logged off constantly even when I had remember me toggled on, Ill update this if it happens again now.
User avatar
cloudrac3r
Rainbow Master
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:03 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by cloudrac3r » Wed May 01, 2024 9:09 am

Thank you Midnight Synergy. I appreciate you keeping this community online after so many years.
LateToIt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by LateToIt » Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 am

Wonderland is among my most influential and enjoyable childhood games, Thanks for keeping it going for so long :)
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 am

Have events like this happened before?
User avatar
Blast!10
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1739
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Blast!10 » Wed May 01, 2024 2:43 pm

It can happen. Running a website is no easy task 8)

Echoing previous posts, thank you Patrick for keeping this place up and running for so long! I do still pop back in here in between periods of inactivity and it's great to see both new & familiar faces :mrgreen:
User avatar
StinkerSquad01
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4250
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by StinkerSquad01 » Wed May 01, 2024 4:39 pm

I love you.
User avatar
Lazy Loof
Rainbow Wizard
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Lazy Loof » Wed May 01, 2024 4:43 pm

Thanks you very much Patrick for keeping this community alive and thriving!

Also one more note for community members: the forums now support uploading WonderlandPlus.NET .lvlx files without hassles so you don't need to zip them up now, again many many thanks to Patrick for this. :)
Previously known as Aryan101
User avatar
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by jdl » Wed May 01, 2024 11:18 pm

Thank you Patrick! :stinkyhappy:

I'm not sure if phpBB has an option for it, but you may want to consider doing site backups every now and then just in case something more difficult crosses our path.
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 pm

Like, the server gets knocked out by a solar flare!
User avatar
Sammy_P
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2893
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: map ref 41°n 93°w
Contact:

Re: Soz for the scare

Post by Sammy_P » Thu May 02, 2024 12:29 am

Echoing what's been restated here, but as always, thank you MS for keeping this place afloat. It's a nice niche.

TwingleTheScraggler wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 pm
Like, the server gets knocked out by a solar flare!
If a solar flare were to take out *just* the forum's servers, that may as well be divine intervention.
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Thu May 02, 2024 7:03 pm

You're right. A solar flare would take out servers around the world.
User avatar
nasko222
Rainbow Master
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

lol

Post by nasko222 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:15 pm

bro really changed sorry to soz
User avatar
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Cyndanera » Thu May 02, 2024 8:08 pm

Thanks Patrick and no worries about server going down I understand as I host my own website server and use phpbb.
Cheers, Cyndanera
User avatar
nasko222
Rainbow Master
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by nasko222 » Fri May 03, 2024 4:05 pm

fyi the logout issue still happens to me every once in a while
User avatar
|Cookie|
Rainbow Star
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by |Cookie| » Fri May 03, 2024 5:34 pm

Great to have the forum up and running again! :mrgreen:
Previously known as "kidkidaaa1"
My level list
My hub: TTN
Woof Woof
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2587
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm

Thanks all for the messages! I'm glad to see the forum and game continue into their now third decade! I know I'm not active on the forum myself (and hence miss some things, like a major crash haha), but I plan to keep this running... until of course that giant solar flare that Twingle mentioned :shock:
User avatar
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Cyndanera » Sat May 04, 2024 9:35 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm
Thanks all for the messages! I'm glad to see the forum and game continue into their now third decade! I know I'm not active on the forum myself (and hence miss some things, like a major crash haha), but I plan to keep this running... until of course that giant solar flare that Twingle mentioned :shock:
Do you ever plan on backing up the site so it doesn't get lost?
Cheers, Cyndanera
User avatar
RoberTime
Rainbow Seeker
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: Yes

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by RoberTime » Sat May 04, 2024 11:57 pm

While I'm not as active as I was long ago, I drop by every so often. I was more-so worried that my account may be hacked to go with it.

It seems like not only this site, but other forums have been affected. Basically any forum site under the same engine. I once tried visiting another forum and was turned away by a similar error. But even that one was back up, which coincides with the state of this one. :?
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Sun May 05, 2024 3:25 am

Cyndanera wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:35 pm
Midnight Synergy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm
Thanks all for the messages! I'm glad to see the forum and game continue into their now third decade! I know I'm not active on the forum myself (and hence miss some things, like a major crash haha), but I plan to keep this running... until of course that giant solar flare that Twingle mentioned :shock:
Do you ever plan on backing up the site so it doesn't get lost?
My thoughts exactly!
User avatar
Midnight Synergy
Site Admin
Posts: 2587
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:39 am
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Midnight Synergy » Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 pm

Yes, I do backup the site once in a while with the phpbb backup option. In fact, I'll run one now. :)
User avatar
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Cyndanera » Mon May 06, 2024 1:23 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 pm
Yes, I do backup the site once in a while with the phpbb backup option. In fact, I'll run one now. :)
Would you be open to a wonderland adventures made with unity for other platforms like stinky and loof in wonderland?
David any thoughts?
Cheers, Cyndanera
User avatar
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by jdl » Tue May 28, 2024 12:08 am

I think I may have found the reason why the forum keeps going down:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652265
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652748

It seems that this "Claudebot" is some kind of bot that's aggressively scraping forums and other websites. Having so many requests at a time is probably what keeps crashing the forum MySQL tables. At the time of me posting this there aren't too many guests visiting the forum (which might mean that Patrick has already blocked the bot), but I know a couple of weeks ago the guest count was very high. The threads I linked to were made around the same time this issue started too.

Edit: A few minutes after posting this it went from around 40 guests to 100..
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
User avatar
Cyndanera
Rainbow Wonderlander
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by Cyndanera » Tue May 28, 2024 2:06 am

I see
Cheers, Cyndanera
TwingleTheScraggler
Platinum Wonderlander
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 am

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by TwingleTheScraggler » Tue May 28, 2024 7:04 pm

jdl wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:08 am
I think I may have found the reason why the forum keeps going down:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652265
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652748

It seems that this "Claudebot" is some kind of bot that's aggressively scraping forums and other websites. Having so many requests at a time is probably what keeps crashing the forum MySQL tables. At the time of me posting this there aren't too many guests visiting the forum (which might mean that Patrick has already blocked the bot), but I know a couple of weeks ago the guest count was very high. The threads I linked to were made around the same time this issue started too.

Edit: A few minutes after posting this it went from around 40 guests to 100..
What does "scraping" mean? It doesn't sound like a good thing.
User avatar
jdl
Rainbow SuperStar
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by jdl » Tue May 28, 2024 11:43 pm

TwingleTheScraggler wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 7:04 pm
jdl wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 12:08 am
I think I may have found the reason why the forum keeps going down:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652265
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2652748

It seems that this "Claudebot" is some kind of bot that's aggressively scraping forums and other websites. Having so many requests at a time is probably what keeps crashing the forum MySQL tables. At the time of me posting this there aren't too many guests visiting the forum (which might mean that Patrick has already blocked the bot), but I know a couple of weeks ago the guest count was very high. The threads I linked to were made around the same time this issue started too.

Edit: A few minutes after posting this it went from around 40 guests to 100..
What does "scraping" mean? It doesn't sound like a good thing.
I was referring to website scraping/crawling. Basically harvesting data from websites for purposes such as search engine indexing, website archiving, ai training, and so on. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_scraping
ImageImage
TheCracksOverhead#9565 | Oops, uh oh.
User avatar
tyteen4a03
Rainbow AllStar
Posts: 4382
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 am
Contact:

Re: Sorry for the scare

Post by tyteen4a03 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:43 pm

Midnight Synergy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 pm
Thanks all for the messages! I'm glad to see the forum and game continue into their now third decade! I know I'm not active on the forum myself (and hence miss some things, like a major crash haha), but I plan to keep this running... until of course that giant solar flare that Twingle mentioned :shock:
Always happy to chat about taking over forum's tech operations - I don't exactly have the most time in the world but WonderWiki is still going strong.
and the duck went moo

Beep bloop
Post Reply